The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

The UEA Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StefanieLouise
A quick google search brought up this website and from that website, this pdf
, which as far as I can see has plenty of information on the sports park and the prices. Well worth having a read through if you're interested.

I can't answer your question about the iPhone issue on Three, but I'm interested to know too as my contract runs out next month and that's what I was planning to get myself.

Thank you! I know nothing about gyms so no idea if those prices are cheaper than usual but they seem reasonable enough to me. I think I will be going there to use the climbing wall :smile:

And yeah, I am on 3 now and the signal has never been a big issue, but I live in London so it's hard to judge. I've been to Norwich many times though and been fine, but I haven't used the internet really and some people have said signal for 3G (or w/e it is called!) is very bad in many places.. don't wanna fork out £35/month for no signal!
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 421
Original post by fabbykadabra
Thank you! I know nothing about gyms so no idea if those prices are cheaper than usual but they seem reasonable enough to me. I think I will be going there to use the climbing wall :smile:

And yeah, I am on 3 now and the signal has never been a big issue, but I live in London so it's hard to judge. I've been to Norwich many times though and been fine, but I haven't used the internet really and some people have said signal for 3G (or w/e it is called!) is very bad in many places.. don't wanna fork out £35/month for no signal!

I'm on O2 and my 3G is fine - no worse than it is anywhere else and the signal on campus is always good.
Original post by fabbykadabra

Been on o2 and virgin and my 3G is fine (dont have an iphone)...except in the kitchen sometimes, or the shower pods....
Reply 423
Hi guys! Just had a couple of quick questions about the internet at the UEA if that's okay. I understand there's an Ethernet connection in all the rooms. What's the speed like? Is it like iPlayer-able, or is it too slow for that kind of thing? Also, I wondered if there's a download limit, and if they're fussed about things like torrent downloading? Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Iaso
Hi guys! Just had a couple of quick questions about the internet at the UEA if that's okay. I understand there's an Ethernet connection in all the rooms. What's the speed like? Is it like iPlayer-able, or is it too slow for that kind of thing? Also, I wondered if there's a download limit, and if they're fussed about things like torrent downloading? Thank you! :smile:

the internet here is pretty fast- i watch iplayer all the time. you do occasionally have problems where it says it hasnt got enough bandwith but if you just start the programme again it should continue
Reply 425
Is it safe to walk to town from the campus?
Original post by avignon
Is it safe to walk to town from the campus?

Yes very safe. Norwich is one of the safest towns in the UK.

Having said that, walking from campus to town will take at least an hour.
Original post by mrdoovde1
Yes very safe. Norwich is one of the safest towns in the UK.

Having said that, walking from campus to town will take at least an hour.

Any idea how long it takes via bike?
Original post by jelly1000
the internet here is pretty fast- i watch iplayer all the time. you do occasionally have problems where it says it hasnt got enough bandwith but if you just start the programme again it should continue

nice! just wondering, do you get a desk and chair in your new bedroom?

do they provide quit covers and duvets?

And as for the toilets and showers, do they get cleaned every week?
Original post by James A

Yes, no, yes :smile:
Original post by StefanieLouise
Any idea how long it takes via bike?

Depend how fast you go. I'd say around 20-25 mins - most of the paths a bike friendly.
Original post by James A

baby boo has done a great job of answering but i shall add some information

1) yes- but it isnt one of those nice s****y wheely chairs, its just a standard classroom chair with a bit of padding.

2) they don't, you can buy a bedding pack but IMO i would get your own as especially the duvet cover adds a nice personal touch to your room

3) if your ensuite your bathroom will be cleaned once a week, you'll have a poster up in the kitchen saying what day it will be cleaned, and you need to make sure its clear that day for when the cleaner comes so they can do their job
Original post by Iaso

It's fine for Iplayer, but as I understand it torrent downloading is not something the Uni is keen on, largely because it puts their network at risk to an extent, and also because a lot of torrented material is copyright, and the University can't allow you to use its network to break the law. I know individual users are almost never prosecuted, but a big organisation like a university has to be careful, and they are likely to take your internet access away if you do it too much.
Reply 433
Original post by jelly1000
baby boo has done a great job of answering but i shall add some information

1) yes- but it isnt one of those nice s****y wheely chairs, its just a standard classroom chair with a bit of padding.

2) they don't, you can buy a bedding pack but IMO i would get your own as especially the duvet cover adds a nice personal touch to your room

3) if your ensuite your bathroom will be cleaned once a week, you'll have a poster up in the kitchen saying what day it will be cleaned, and you need to make sure its clear that day for when the cleaner comes so they can do their job

You got a chair with padding?
I had to remember to bring a cushion down with me after Christmas :unimpressed: :tongue:
North American postgraduate student here (just wrapping up my degree). Being a foreigner and a postgraduate means that you are different from all the domestic undergrads that post on these forums. If you have anything specific questions from the 'mature', international, or postgraduate perspective - ask away and I will try and answer!

My biggest bits of advice:

1. Live in the City

2. Norwich is GREAT, they really do not know how to market how awesome the city is (culture, history, access to nature, affordability). Enjoy Norwich.

Anything else?
Reply 435
Original post by Ahotaru
Oh!! I was there this Saturday too. I bet we saw each other :P

And yeah, that's what was worrying me too. We'll be the first year, and probably they'll make all the mistakes with us, but just as you said, there are lots of practical things that makes it worth it!

We must have seen each other! Well, ive already firmed UEA now, so Im hoping this gamble will pay off for being the first year. I just think what they had going for them seemed a lot better in terms of being able to get a job once out of education. Plus campus and the area was gorgeous!!
Reply 436
hi, i'm a student of UEA. I've just bought my new bike for few weeks. I wanna try to ride a bike from campus to city centre in order to save on transport. But I dont know the route for traveling.

Can anyone help? Is there any students tried it before? Thanks.
Original post by irvingxx
hi, i'm a student of UEA. I've just bought my new bike for few weeks. I wanna try to ride a bike from campus to city centre in order to save on transport. But I dont know the route for traveling.

Easiest way I would think would be straight down the Avenues (less traffic than Earlham Road) then left onto the bottom of Earlham Road, keep going to the Roman Catholic Cathedral, go over Grapes Hill on the Flyover and then straight down into the city. You'll end up by Tesco Metro/Market.

Hope this helps.
Reply 438
Original post by irvingxx

yeh, I did it all the time. Just straight down the avenues and it will take you into town
Reply 439
Original post by UEAAccommodation
Easiest way I would think would be straight down the Avenues (less traffic than Earlham Road) then left onto the bottom of Earlham Road, keep going to the Roman Catholic Cathedral, go over Grapes Hill on the Flyover and then straight down into the city. You'll end up by Tesco Metro/Market.

Hope this helps.

which avenues? is the route same as bus route?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending