The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3160
The majority of my ratings were made from a lasting impression, simply because I created my A-P account relatively recently in comparison to when I started watching. Inevitably, this has probably led to a skewed perception depending on the duration, but nonetheless I like to think that it's fairly accurate portrayal. It's worth noting that I tend to rate by comparison, taking into account the scripting, animation and what have you, as opposed to my enjoyment alone, primarily because my receptibility is widespread. :tongue:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Nah, that's Kaiji. :yes:

Kaiji is #2 man tears. I still stand by Rainbow being #1. :yep:

Years ago, I was even more generous with my ratings than I am now. 4.5/5 was my the score I gave out most frequently, even though I could look through my list of series rated 4.5 and pick out ones that were better than others - which didn't help other people looking at my list to see what I really liked. I've also become more critical over time, and while some series I still rate highly may be propped up by nostalgia (Elfen Lied etc), others such as After Story are fresher in my mind. It also helps that I can compare its rating to the first series of Clannad - if that's worth 4/5, then (in my opinion) After Story should be lower.

I agree with your arguments against Cara though - a good series SHOULD manipulate my emotions. :yes:

That is understandable if not what everyone does at first - I certainly did and to be honest, I have changed a lot of my scores on MAL. That said, there was a huge gap from when I made my MAL to now where I actively fill it in so when I got there, I was thoroughly confused at the scores. As Aiko said, I go comparitvely now, examining different aspects of it and then seeing how it would also fair against other anime of different scores. This can be quite hard though as generally two insanely different anime can garner the same score but for very different reasons. Hence, why I take into consideration enjoyment a lot as well. Otherwise my score of 9 for TTGL would never stack up to my score of 9 for Haibane Renmei :tongue:

Original post by Aiko
The majority of my ratings were made from a lasting impression, simply because I created my A-P account relatively recently in comparison to when I started watching. Inevitably, this has probably led to a skewed perception depending on the duration, but nonetheless I like to think that it's fairly accurate portrayal. It's worth noting that I tend to rate by comparison, taking into account the scripting, animation and what have you, as opposed to my enjoyment alone, primarily because my receptibility is widespread. :tongue:

As I said so AJ above, I do the same thing. However, enjoyment at the end of it all still plays the major part in the score deciding. An anime could have poor animation, bad voicing, and just suffer from general underproduction (Serial Experiments Lain) but actually what I gleaned from it and got from it was so much, not even necessarily enjoyment, that I couldn't help but give it a high score. :yes:

Scoring cartoons is a lot more complicated than it should be :tongue:
Latter eps of Di Gi Charat Nyo haven't been great... and I don't think it's just because of the subtitles. :p: Changing the setting from the shopping district and it's hilarious characters to 'Princess School', and making several minor characters into major ones to fill up the class hasn't really worked, as they still FEEL like minor characters - undeveloped and relying on one gag for laughs, which was fine when they showed up once every 6 - 8 eps, but all too repetitive now that it's every 6 - 8 minutes. Shame really, as the ~12 episodes before that when Piyoko's gang showed up were all great. :s: I can see why these eps never got properly subbed/released on DVD. :sadnod:
Reply 3163
I see Jormungand is taking a film approach to the gun battles despite the detail on weapons in general.:mmm: What with an experienced assassin using a wooden table to successfully block bullets.:giggle:
Reply 3164
Original post by Facticity
As I said so AJ above, I do the same thing. However, enjoyment at the end of it all still plays the major part in the score deciding. An anime could have poor animation, bad voicing, and just suffer from general underproduction (Serial Experiments Lain) but actually what I gleaned from it and got from it was so much, not even necessarily enjoyment, that I couldn't help but give it a high score. :yes:

Of course, enjoyment and quality are often mutually exclusive. :smile:
After finishing Di Gi Charat Nyo (the last few eps did nothing to change my opinions from my last post), I've now started Urusei Yatsura. Which might not have been the best choice in hindsight, as it has the same 2-in-1 comedy format. :p:
Reply 3166
:giggle:aww apollon seems to be doing romance right :redface:
Reply 3167
Can't wait to watch Fate/Zero later:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3168
Original post by Tabris
Can't wait to watch Fate/Zero later:

Spoiler

F/Z 17

Spoiler

Reply 3169
:mmm:Lupin actually in this weeks ep of Lupin III :giggle:
There's a future diary in Urusei Yatsura ep 19. :zomg: Not a phone diary though, not in 1982. :p:
Reply 3171
:giggle:Gundam age 29.. making the girl look after the kids whilst the boy gets to pilot the gundam:mmm:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Urusei Yatsura switched from its former 2-in-1 format to full length episodes somewhere around ep 22. Definitely a change for the better, as it was starting to feel rushed and repetitive. Now it's well paced and repetitive. :p:
Reply 3173
Original post by vin
:giggle:Gundam age 29.. making the girl look after the kids whilst the boy gets to pilot the gundam:mmm:

'Frau Bow, you can't pilot the Gundam'.

I'm finding myself surprisingly satisfied with AGE at this point. I think it's better than 00.

--

In other news, Smile Precure has continued to have the best faces, though I'm a little worried that the lead Cure is spending the whole series high.
Reply 3174
Anyone know what that hadena groups subs are like? Ive never touched them but all the comments on download sites say to avoid them... but Im curious.:redface:
Original post by vin
Anyone know what that hadena groups subs are like? Ive never touched them but all the comments on download sites say to avoid them... but Im curious.:redface:

They were rubbish when they first started a few seasons ago, but I'm downloading their releases for Shining Hearts at the moment, and they're not that bad. The odd awkward sentence here and there, but certainly more English than Engrish. Guessing they've recruited new people, but once a group has a bad name, people continue to hate on them regardless. :dontknow:
Okay, a bit of a random question here: A friend remembers me showing him an anime theme over a year ago, but has forgotten the series name. It supposedly featured (in his words):

Corone

dancing super robots, a moe-blob and a villain with epic hair (I think)

That's drawing a complete blank with me; all that springs to mind is Kemeko DX (which I have shown to people in the past just because it's so lulzy), but that's more dancing moe-blobs and a creepy powered suit than anything. Still, I don't doubt that such a theme exists, I've probably just forgotten about it. So if anyone knows of an OP or ED which ticks most of those boxes, let me know. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3177
Finally finished Bleach. As lacklustre as the final arc was, I did get into marathoning it and ended up enjoying it. I doubt I would have felt the same way if I was watching it weekly, though.
Apparently all it takes to stop a leaking roof from destroying your bookshelves is a portable gravity controller! :zomg: Thanks to Urusei Yatsura for the suggestion. :smile: I also picked up a few tips from last week's episode of Shining Hearts. :giggle:
No suggestions for an anime where the OP contains 'dancing super robots'? Only it wasn't Kemeko DX in the end. If Aiko and Cara can't think of anything, and I don't remember it, I may have to assume Corone's going senile. He's at least two years older than me, after all. :p:

Latest