The Student Room Group

NEED HELP Choosing Loupes!!!

Hey guys,

Have any of you had any experience with PeriOptix loupes? Or heard anything about one?

I'm looking to buy a PeriOptix Legacy Mirage. Mainly because this is going to be my starting pair (so i want it to be cheap lol), and being the blind guy I am - I'll prob need a higher mag (3.5 -4x?) for endo anyway. I'll prob buy a more expensive one before I graduate.

http://www.perioptix.com/legacy-mirage.php

I considered Orascopic, Surgitel, Zeiss but all seemed expensive for a start off loupe...Not sure about Heine though, is it more expensive?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by splitstriker

PM this guy.
Not a bad call with those perioptix loupes, I have no doubt they'll do the job perfectly well. I would advise you get in touch with a rep, try them out.

I agree orascoptic, surgitel, dfv, and especially zeiss are a touch expensive on a student budget. Perhaps consider optident for their 2.5x TTL univet, £550, v.good optical quality!

In regards of appropriate magnification, you have to try out a few pairs, 3.5x is pretty daunting as a starting pair, but if you can get used to them I think they are an excellent investment as they will last longer than the 2.5x! Personally I wouldn't get a 3.5x unless it was a TTL for ergonomic reasons (weight!).

Let me know how it goes/if you have more questions.
I'm interested in whether anyone thinks these would be a good investment from the start of practical work? I'm quite health conscious and would happily fork out the cash if it was worthwhile.
Reply 4
Original post by Fire Point
I'm interested in whether anyone thinks these would be a good investment from the start of practical work? I'm quite health conscious and would happily fork out the cash if it was worthwhile.

Apart from magnification, what other advantages do loupes have?
Original post by Endodontics

I'd been led to believe reduced eye strain and back strain.
Original post by Endodontics

Studies suggest at undergraduate level, the benefits are primarily ergonomic (back strain).

http://thedentalstudent.co.uk/a-guide-to-dental-loupes-part-1-the-basics/
Reply 8
This is a brilliant article written by a dental student for dental students:
http://thedentalstudent.co.uk/a-guide-to-dental-loupes-part-1-the-basics/
I use orascoptic hires2 (TTL) on a revolution frame. Amazing loupes.

I used Dimension IIIs (also TTL) as a student and thought they were fantastic but they were stolen recently so I upgraded. I had to pay £1500 and that was with a returning customer discount, whereas as a student I paid £850 or thereabouts.

Loupes are so important for a long, happy and healthy dental career. Don't scrimp, they'll last you a lifetime if you take care of them :smile: Why have a 'start off'? Why not take advantage of the amazing savings you get yourself as a student and get off on the right foot. I've seen so many people buy cheap loupes (esp uk loupes!) they can't use because of the price and write them off altogether. It's a waste of money to get a 'start off' pair then upgrade.

Oh and cannot recommend TTL enough. TTL's have a better field of view, better optics, lighter, more comfortable, less prone to breakage, never need adjusted or move when you're operating... I use a through the flip (revolution frame from Orascoptic you can't get anywhere else, check it out) to accommodate my ridiculous prescription.

PS. you do not need 3.5-4x loupes unless you're an endodontist or something. 2.5-3x (I am using 2.8x) is perfectly adequate and should have a good field of view for seeing the whole mouth which higher mags don't. Magnification is NOT the key to a good, useful set of loupes
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Alright folks, I've decided to man up and run for Heine. Not gonna waste money on cheap brands. After talking to seniors it turns out you really get what you pay for when it comes to loupes...

I've tried a bunch of 'em and heine clearly had the sharpest image(after zeiss) and huge field of view. as well depth of field. Tbh I found heine to be the closest to zeiss in terms of optical quality, but with a bigger field and depth.

Orascopic was ok, but not as good optical quality or field.

Surgitel, once again very pricey. Optical quality similar to orascopic, but bit bigger field.

Good thing abt orascopic and surgitel is they are a LOT lighter, and pretty! I guess it's upto personal choice - some might find orascopic/surgitel better!

I also tried my friend's cheap med-lite's - the image was a whole lot darker, and the field and depth were tiny. Way to ruin someone's eye!

The only one i'm seriously considering apart from Heine 2.5x HR is Designs for vision(DVI/DFV) 3.5x with extended field of view. I know it's expensive...but i've heard some amazing things about it. My tutor's one seem amazing

The sales rep is currently pushing Heine 2.5x with a headband for 1500NZD, and sadly ivoclear(reps for DVI - want's to sell the DVI for 3800 NZD) whereas is US these two are much similar in price :frown:

Looks like it might just be Heine for me.

But for any future ppl reading this - seriously check out DVI's 3.5x with extended view, IF you can afford it. It's 3.5x mag but the field is the same as other 2.5x. i.e. you can see the whole mouth.
Or zeiss, if you can afford it...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Gintaman
Alright folks, I've decided to man up and run for Heine. Not gonna waste money on cheap brands. After talking to seniors it turns out you really get what you pay for when it comes to loupes...

I've tried a bunch of 'em and heine clearly had the sharpest image(after zeiss) and huge field of view. as well depth of field. Tbh I found heine to be the closest to zeiss in terms of optical quality, but with a bigger field and depth.

Orascopic was ok, but not as good optical quality or field.

Surgitel, once again very pricey. Optical quality similar to orascopic, but bit bigger field.

Good thing abt orascopic and surgitel is they are a LOT lighter, and pretty! I guess it's upto personal choice - some might find orascopic/surgitel better!

I also tried my friend's cheap med-lite's - the image was a whole lot darker, and the field and depth were tiny. Way to ruin someone's eye!

The only one i'm seriously considering apart from Heine 2.5x HR is Designs for vision(DVI/DFV) 3.5x with extended field of view. I know it's expensive...but i've heard some amazing things about it. My tutor's one seem amazing

The sales rep is currently pushing Heine 2.5x with a headband for 1500NZD, and sadly ivoclear(reps for DVI - want's to sell the DVI for 3800 NZD) whereas is US these two are much similar in price :frown:

Looks like it might just be Heine for me.

But for any future ppl reading this - seriously check out DVI's 3.5x with extended view, IF you can afford it. It's 3.5x mag but the field is the same as other 2.5x. i.e. you can see the whole mouth.
Or zeiss, if you can afford it...

Are heine not flip ups?

I would give serious thought to the weight issue. It's fine when you're in clinic but when you're out and working, after seeing your 30th patient of the day weight becomes very important and you can quickly end up with a sore nose.

Again hires2 for me has been fantastic for that reason. 9g lighter than my old ones. Even then sometimes the bridge of my nose aches after a long procedure.
Reply 12
they are flip ups, sadly.
But I was thinking since they are headband mounted. It might make life easier on me?
they are flip ups, sadly.
But I was thinking since they are headband mounted. It might make life easier on me?

It's more the mechanism that can be a pain. If something becomes loose and moves when you're operating it can be so annoying, and certainly I've had similar feedback from other dentists.

Also more working parts = more prone to breakage.

Sorry I'm just trying to help, it's so important :smile:
i have not heard this brand before,the price is cheap maybe the quality is not very good!
Reply 15
Hey guys,

Have any of you had any experience with PeriOptix loupes? Or heard anything about one?

I'm looking to buy a PeriOptix Legacy Mirage. Mainly because this is going to be my starting pair (so i want it to be cheap lol), and being the blind guy I am - I'll prob need a higher mag (3.5 -4x?) for endo anyway. I'll prob buy a more expensive one before I graduate.

http://www.perioptix.com/legacy-mirage.php

I considered Orascopic, Surgitel, Zeiss but all seemed expensive for a start off loupe...Not sure about Heine though, is it more expensive?

Less expensive is not always worse. A lot of the bigger companies need to cover cost of reps and other expenses so they need to charge more. I've seen perioptix before and they seem pretty good.

I ended up going with www.zoomoptix.com. They also have good prices and I liked the color and fit of the frames.
Reply 16
Im a dentist going on 15 years
I started with surgitel 2.5 flip up. Got fed up of the loosening screws
moved onto TTL 2.5 orascoptics 7 years ago. were ok but wanted more magnification. (They are advertised as 2.7 i think but were the same as any of the similar costing 2.5's i tried)

Check out
www.cdmicro.co.uk
They have an amazing headband thats x4 magnification. (NOT sure about their TTL LOUPES)
I've used these for 9 months and the clarity and comfort is brilliant. The Heine is better designed and probably has better optics. But i have to say At around £600 - 700 for this magnification and clarity. They are worth a punt. I wasnt sure i would get on with this magnification so didnt want to invest £3000+++ without knowing what i was getting into.
now I cannot go back. the x2.5 are completely obsolete. Believe me you see alot more at x4 that x2.5.
I believe it comes with a headlight at this price. I bought an extra battery pack.

Pros
Cheap as chips
very good clarity
Depth of view feels good.
Its a headband Supported by the whole head. I was getting headaches with the TTLs. (this could be because of a changing prescription)

Cons
Its a headband
Feels a bit cheap. Get what you pay for ( mind you i could not find better going up to the £2500 bracket)
They are flip ups so will eventually loosen.
Take a small amount of time to setup but worth the effort. If you dont do that you will get a lot of eye strain.

Cant see their headband on the website but I'm sure they will help if you call them. The main guy seems to be a decent chap.
4x do take some getting used to but they really improve your view and therefore dentistry.

I just cant get over the quality of this product for the price.
Dave
Try the Student Loupes Company: www.studentloupescompany.co.uk

I'm a dental student and I spent a lot of time looking at different types of loupes. I didn't want to spend much more than £400. I went with the student loupes company because they seemed to have good reviews, at a better price than anywhere else (even better than ukloupes), and it was easy to order online.

I have to say that from ordering to receiving my loupes the service and communication was exceptional. The loupes are very good, giving me a great field of view. Also they're lightweight and feel well built. I also got 25% off for being a student :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I would recommend www.ukloupes.co.uk very affordable and very good customer service, very student friendly and always there to answer any questions
Hey guys, thank you for all the information provided above. Any final thoughts between ukloupes and studentloupescompany? There is a price difference of £200. Apart from the price, any comments on the quality of the lenses? I already have a pair of Zeiss that is amazing, even brighter than design for vision, so i want something cheap and of good quality. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest