discussion thread 340 posts
Original post by Brand New Eyes
up at 5am :lolwut:

probably the first year to do so.... wait let me check

Last year: offer thread 2318 posts
discussion thread 340 posts

Early bird catches the worm :wink:
:lol: I'm not really surprised tbh :tongue:
Why make an Econ Freshers 2012? We'll all be on the Spring Week 2013 anyway :colone:
Original post by tooambitious
Early bird catches the worm :wink:
:lol: I'm not really surprised tbh :tongue:

We like to chat :curious: I don't know!

Original post by funkydee
Why make an Econ Freshers 2012? We'll all be on the Spring Week 2013 anyway :colone:

:lol: oh dear lord, it's so soon! When is spring week?
Original post by Tateco
Make an Economics Fresher/Reapplicants Thread 2012? :erm:

That'd be nice. Your job Tateco :biggrin:

Haha that's true though :biggrin: But for all the non-bankers we have to provide an extra thread :wink: When do we have to start applying for the spring week btw?
Still can't decide between Bath and Durham

Bath:

- closer to home
- better module composition
- more mathematical with finance options
- better politics department
- Economics is an actual department rather than under the umbrella of the Business School like Durham

Durham:
- better overall reputation (I still don't understand why it's ranked so high) and employment prospects
- has normal term times (Bath is split into 2 terms with odd 2 week breaks in January and such)
- colleges + no cooking
- slightly cheaper in terms of living costs
- course isn't as great

Anyone care to add anything to tip the scales?
Reply 9890

Haha too right, going to do it anyway though :wink:

Original post by nightmare91
That'd be nice. Your job Tateco :biggrin:

Haha that's true though :biggrin: But for all the non-bankers we have to provide an extra thread :wink: When do we have to start applying for the spring week btw?

I will be making it soon :u: Spring week applications open in September already I think!
Reply 9891

Bath:

- closer to home
- Economics is an actual department rather than under the umbrella of the Business School like Durham

Durham:
- better overall reputation (I still don't understand why it's ranked so high) and employment prospects
- has normal term times (Bath is split into 2 terms with odd 2 week breaks in January and such)
- colleges + no cooking
- course isn't as great

Placement year? I would choose Bath with the placement year and Durham without it, I really think that is the main attraction of Bath. You would be better off going to Bath if you are thinking of doing a Masters in Economics at LSE/Cambridge as you will be able to make it more quantitative.

Bath:

- closer to home

Durham:
- colleges + no cooking
- course isn't as great

Ok so the bold parts are the only real advantages of Durham compared to Bath. But do you think they should be the deciding factors? Money is of course always an important matter and I don't know about your financial situation but if it's just slightly cheaper then it won't make much of a difference. The overall reputation is of course important but if you think about it, there is not much difference between Bath and Durham. Durham might be slightly better but as you said, nobody knows why :tongue: And if you want to go into IB, the banks will prefer the Bath student due to the more mathematical content of the course.
The italic parts are the advantages of Bath and I think you have answered the question yourself. You don't really like the Durham course but you prefer the Bath course due to more maths options and a better Politics department. The course is the most important factor when deciding where to go. Just imagine if you don't enjoy your course..... you will always regret going there. Please don't let the overall reputation decide where you want to go :wink:

:lol: oh dear lord, it's so soon! When is spring week?

I'm actually not too sure exactly but its in the easter break between terms 2 and 3 :smile:
And I think the spring week 2012 was made back in march '11, Its nearly May!

And in regards to your Durham and Bath choice
Personally I'd go for Durham but that's cos I'd always pick the most "prestigious" uni unless I had to live at home and not halls.

I'm not too sure on deadlines but apparently its best to get the applications done by Christmas and not leave it late!
Original post by Tateco
I will be making it soon :u: Spring week applications open in September already I think!

Great! :biggrin: Are you applying for spring week btw? I know you're not that interested in banking but it might be quite interesting as you can find out whether that's going to be an option after graduation :smile:

... And looking good on the CV as well :colone:
Reply 9895
I'm actually not too sure exactly but its in the easter break between terms 2 and 3 :smile:
And I think the spring week 2012 was made back in march '11, Its nearly May!

And in regards to your Durham and Bath choice
Personally I'd go for Durham but that's cos I'd always pick the most "prestigious" uni unless I had to live at home and not halls.

I'm not too sure on deadlines but apparently its best to get the applications done by Christmas and not leave it late!

March '11? :lolwut: What were they talking about all this time...
Reply 9896
Great! :biggrin: Are you applying for spring week btw? I know you're not that interested in banking but it might be quite interesting as you can find out whether that's going to be an option after graduation :smile:

... And looking good on the CV as well :colone:

I am definitely interested in banking post-graduate. IMO it is the best thing you can do even if you don't necessarily want it to be your main career, so many exit opportunities.
Original post by Tateco
I am definitely interested in banking post-graduate. IMO it is the best thing you can do even if you don't necessarily want it to be your main career, so many exit opportunities.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Banking might not be the most fulfilling job in the world but the exit opportunities are just incredible. As I am interested in working for a central bank someday, most central bankers had a history with some finance related job. So this is definetely an option for me.
Reply 9898
That's exactly what I'm thinking. Banking might not be the most fulfilling job in the world but the exit opportunities are just incredible. As I am interested in working for a central bank someday, most central bankers had a history with some finance related job. So this is definetely an option for me.

Exactly, I might do a masters before I start though, not sure yet. There are so many areas in banking as well, not all of it is 18 hours a day :tongue:
Is Spring Week for two weeks?

D: Bath only gives you a 2 week Easter break

x

Original post by Tateco
Placement year? I would choose Bath with the placement year and Durham without it, I really think that is the main attraction of Bath. You would be better off going to Bath if you are thinking of doing a Masters in Economics at LSE/Cambridge as you will be able to make it more quantitative.

I'm not sure about that, my offer is for the non-placement course but I can still opt in I think hmmm