The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ryan Kalil's reaction to him being #99 on the list of top players of 2012. This guy's hilarious :rofl:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-top100-2012/09000d5d828baeb5/Top-100-Ryan-Kalil-reacts-to-ranking
Original post by The Troll Toll
Man I hate wide receivers. Whenever they block it's usually a blindside, so they knock people down quite a bit, and when they do they're always jumping around and think they did something amazing even when it doesn't have any effect on the play. I'd rather get blocked by a lineman. They're better at it and stronger, but at least they do it all the time so they don't think it's like the football equivalent of climbing Mount Everest. And they don't stop blocking you after the first time you engage them heads up. It's like the receivers think they're more than a peripheral part of the game in this country. Delusional man. Rant over.

what position do you play?

I'd like to get involved but don't know anything about local teams, how good I'd have to be (having never played), where I'd play, etc.
Original post by Arturo Bandini
what position do you play?

I'd like to get involved but don't know anything about local teams, how good I'd have to be (having never played), where I'd play, etc.

You are big for UK football, so you could play linebacker. You could play other positions but I reckon defence is more fun, especially for a rookie because they rotate more than offence. I play safety but I am probably big enough to play linebacker if I wanted, for most teams. It's a pretty simple sport if you're not an idiot, so you'll be **** for a few weeks while you get used to the game and being hit in the head, then once you're over that you'll be as good as your athleticism/work ethic allows. For UK league you are pretty strong and athletic already, so you could definitely be good. Not sure about local teams. Where do you live?
You are big for UK football, so you could play linebacker. You could play other positions but I reckon defence is more fun, especially for a rookie because they rotate more than offence. I play safety but I am probably big enough to play linebacker if I wanted, for most teams. It's a pretty simple sport if you're not an idiot, so you'll be **** for a few weeks while you get used to the game and being hit in the head, then once you're over that you'll be as good as your athleticism/work ethic allows. For UK league you are pretty strong and athletic already, so you could definitely be good. Not sure about local teams. Where do you live?

What position do you think would suit me and would my size allow me to actually play. Im 5 ft 6-7, not like athelete rugby build but more basketball sorta lanky build. Speed is probably what i have going for me and jumping ability. Wouldnt call myself exactly that strong though and don't receivers need to block as well?

I'm in london. Thinking of giving boxing a rest after uni cos I wanna get back involved in a team sport. I've done pretty well in boxing but it's very different, very solitary. But at least it means I'm already used to being hit in the head.

So if I just contact a local club they're not gonna just laugh me away? I think the teams in London are pretty good (uk standard wise) so I've been put off it a bit because of that. The UK season runs over spring/summer right? So if I wanted to get involved it would have to wait until 2013 season.
I'm in london. Thinking of giving boxing a rest after uni cos I wanna get back involved in a team sport. I've done pretty well in boxing but it's very different, very solitary. But at least it means I'm already used to being hit in the head.

So if I just contact a local club they're not gonna just laugh me away? I think the teams in London are pretty good (uk standard wise) so I've been put off it a bit because of that. The UK season runs over spring/summer right? So if I wanted to get involved it would have to wait until 2013 season.

Getting hit in the head is a bit different when it's someone's helmet coming at you. Boxing will probably help, but it's still a new thing. You'll be fine though.

Pretty much yeah, just find out where they train and turn up. One thing you could do is train with the London Blitz this year. They have so many players that they have a system where you can pay to train but not play, so it costs less (paying is the ****tiest part by far). That way if you join a lesser team next season you'll probably be ahead of a lot of their players. There are two routes you can go down in London. Like you say most of the teams are really good, but there are also the Watford Cheetahs which is a crappy team where all the Londoners who like the sport but don't want to take it super seriously go. If you trained at the Blitz for the rest of this season you'd probably stroll into their team next season. Blitz are awesome and the closest thing we have to a pro team - people could play five years and not get on the field for them. Cheetahs are **** but probably fun. Olympians and Warriors are between those two extremes.

Original post by johnharris19944
What position do you think would suit me and would my size allow me to actually play. Im 5 ft 6-7, not like athelete rugby build but more basketball sorta lanky build. Speed is probably what i have going for me and jumping ability. Wouldnt call myself exactly that strong though and don't receivers need to block as well?

5'7 with a lanky build isn't lanky, it's skinny. You're right, receivers do need to block but if you're looking for a position where you don't go into contact you need to find a new sport. You'd play receiver or defensive back, but if you can't do contact you need to go to the gym until you can before they will let you on the field. Receivers' blocking assignments are usually the defence's smallest players, and like I said half the time you get a blindside so it's not that bad. The main talent you need for receiver is being able to keep your eye on the ball when you know a hit is coming. If you can do that you can be a good receiver because everything else is coachable (unless you're just completely ****). If not, DB may be a better choice. But even if you're not afraid of contact you need to add some muscle to be able to survive it on a long term basis.
Getting hit in the head is a bit different when it's someone's helmet coming at you. Boxing will probably help, but it's still a new thing. You'll be fine though.

Pretty much yeah, just find out where they train and turn up. One thing you could do is train with the London Blitz this year. They have so many players that they have a system where you can pay to train but not play, so it costs less (paying is the ****tiest part by far). That way if you join a lesser team next season you'll probably be ahead of a lot of their players. There are two routes you can go down in London. Like you say most of the teams are really good, but there are also the Watford Cheetahs which is a crappy team where all the Londoners who like the sport but don't want to take it super seriously go. If you trained at the Blitz for the rest of this season you'd probably stroll into their team next season. Blitz are awesome and the closest thing we have to a pro team - people could play five years and not get on the field for them. Cheetahs are **** but probably fun. Olympians and Warriors are between those two extremes.

5'7 with a lanky build isn't lanky, it's skinny. You're right, receivers do need to block but if you're looking for a position where you don't go into contact you need to find a new sport. You'd play receiver or defensive back, but if you can't do contact you need to go to the gym until you can before they will let you on the field. Receivers' blocking assignments are usually the defence's smallest players, and like I said half the time you get a blindside so it's not that bad. The main talent you need for receiver is being able to keep your eye on the ball when you know a hit is coming. If you can do that you can be a good receiver because everything else is coachable (unless you're just completely ****). If not, DB may be a better choice. But even if you're not afraid of contact you need to add some muscle to be able to survive it on a long term basis.

Oh no im not afraid of contact im just sort of worried if i ever had to block off one of the bigger players it would be a complete mismatch would'nt it. I dont think im afraid of the contact have taken a few hits from Ice Hockey and Rugby before. I do agree with the part i will need more muscle on my upper body to survive as at the moment im pretty darn disproportionate and that most of my muscle is in my legs because i have been focusing on sprinting.
Cheers nun, I'm gonna look into those options
Cheers nun, I'm gonna look into those options

You should definitely go for it. I went from boxing for 5-6 years to playing American football and have never looked back :h:
Reply 4049
Original post by Scott129
I'm getting me a Jenkins jersey haha :wink:
Fisher and Williams will straighten him out for sure.

i hate to break it to you, but Williams isn't gonna have an input to the sport for at least a couple of years
Original post by munn
i hate to break it to you, but Williams isn't gonna have an input to the sport for at least a couple of years

Can't understand why that is upsetting for anyone. He's a ****e coach even without the bounty thing.
Reply 4051
Can't understand why that is upsetting for anyone. He's a ****e coach even without the bounty thing.

can't say i agree with that
there's good reason why the best years of the Titans, Redskins and Saints over the past 15 years or so have been when Williams has been DC
Reply 4052
Any of you actually playing in University American Football League or w/e? What's the level and requirements to get into the team? Imma be a freshman, and I'll be definitely looking to get to the team.
very happy with the pats NFL draft. Annoyed about the reach on Tavon Wilson, but at least we got some key talents. The best team just got better.
Original post by johnharris19944
Tavon Wilson for the Patriots i am thinking what the actual hell has bill gone and done this guy was not predicted to go till 6-7th round, the draft started off as A for me now its a D...

I want to say in Bill we trust but im just lost here :confused:

This is not the huge drama it seems mate.

Yeah sure it was a beast of a reach, I mean he could have parlayed that into future picks. But at the end of the day, one reach for a good player is not a disaster that takes an A+ grade draft down to a D. (BB knows better than draft 'experts' - look at how accurate all their mocks were i.e nobody had a freaking clue beyond pick 4).

I'm calling this draft a B+ (would've been an A if not for the reach on Wilson).
Reply 4055
There ain't no reaches in NFL Draft..considering so-called analysts called Irvin a reach, and now apparently it's a damn good pick (I NEVER ever question Schneider and BIG PETE)
Original post by The Patriot

Yeah sure it was a beast of a reach, I mean he could have parlayed that into future picks. But at the end of the day, one reach for a good player is not a disaster that takes an A+ grade draft down to a D. (BB knows better than draft 'experts' - look at how accurate all their mocks were i.e nobody had a freaking clue beyond pick 4).

I'm calling this draft a B+ (would've been an A if not for the reach on Wilson).

I guess i overreacted on the day im just annoyed because we could have used it on someone else or traded for future pick but im all for him proving me wrong :P
Original post by quadsas
Any of you actually playing in University American Football League or w/e? What's the level and requirements to get into the team? Imma be a freshman, and I'll be definitely looking to get to the team.

Standards depend on which university you're going to.
Reply 4058
Huddersfield. I heard that team sucks.
Reply 4059
Original post by The Patriot

Good coaches and GMs don't draft players in the 2nd round if they'd have been there in the 6th or 7th. Fact is, if BB drafted him in the 2nd, there's every likelyhood he'd be taken before the 3rd.

Original post by quadsas
There ain't no reaches in NFL Draft..considering so-called analysts called Irvin a reach, and now apparently it's a damn good pick (I NEVER ever question Schneider and BIG PETE)

Agreed. At the time I was thinking "wow, he wasn't even on my radar, I know nothing about him, but if PC/JS think he's worth taking at 15, chances are he's worth taking at 15."
Draftniks going berserk saying "he'd have been available in the 2nd or 3rd, major reach. Now we get reports suggesting the Jets were planning to take him at 16 (don't know how much to read into that mind, why would you want to risk Coples thinking he's not their first choice?). Still, PC/JS know best. I predict Irvin gets 12+ sacks this season

Latest