The Student Room Group

We graduated 2:1 from Bath 2 years ago and haven't gotten a single job offer since...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by fuzznbass
Thats terrible , they should try and help you , why did your tutor refuse ? that sounds harsh. I heard a story about my uni careers department sending graduates links to menial jobs as 'career help'

Actually at first she ignored the emails. I ended up calling her office. She bluntly said that it's against her policy to write references after 6 months of graduating due to having so many students to cater for.
You need to get in touch with someone who has the job you want and pester them to let you shadow them. Get all nicey nice while your there and ask if they can hook you up with some of their contacts. Work experience is all well and good but at the end of the day when it comes to applying for jobs you'll just be another CV on a pile of many. A positive word from someone who is respected within a company is much better.

That old chestnut, its not what you know but who you know.
Reply 62
Original post by Medic1992
My mate got a 2:1. He was doing pharmacy. He still hasn't got a job.....

How can things go wrong with a degree in pharmacy or did he/she fail to secure a pre-reg place?
Original post by JobHelp
My friends and I graduated from Bath in 2010 in Psychology. Most of us have 2:1s, some have 2:2s and one person I know got a first. My friends and I are in London. Some of our friends are still in Bath.

Aside from working a few temp min-wage cleaning/retail/data-entry jobs none of us have gotten decent/relevant jobs. We even have problems getting these kinds of jobs.

I have decided to post on this forum after googling and finding this thread from someone with a very similar problem: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1772590

I went to the Guardian job fair in 2010 and 11 and had my CV checked by their experts and aside from a couple minor issues my CV was good. I have lots relevant volunteer work experience. Like the other poster we also have problems with a lot of job applications in Psychology will reject you and offer you an unpaid volunteer position instead.

Is this just a common thing now that we have to accept? Or are we doing something wrong?

Well, there's your problem.
Original post by JobHelp
Actually at first she ignored the emails. I ended up calling her office. She bluntly said that it's against her policy to write references after 6 months of graduating due to having so many students to cater for.

Her policy ? Ouch, I suppose she may have a lot to write but surely she could help you out anyway..
Reply 65
Original post by original_username
Nobody on here can tell you anything you don't already know.
It's hard to get any job without relevant experience, I signed up to all the agencies after I graduated in July but didn't hear from anything in the sectors I expressed interest, basically finance. I've had a job as an accounts assistant for a little over a month so thought I'd change my CV on these sites. I did that Friday, and have had 3 calls and an e-mail today. All these high street agencies look at is your last/ current job title, if you don't have the one they want you wont get a sniff. It now seems the second tick needed is a car :|

Pretty sure you're right there mate, atleast for finance related jobs. I mean, I was asked that atleast twice on the phone and in person the next day(As If I would buy a car for the interview :rolleyes:)
Original post by JobHelp
My friends and I graduated from Bath in 2010 in Psychology. Most of us have 2:1s, some have 2:2s and one person I know got a first. My friends and I are in London. Some of our friends are still in Bath.

Aside from working a few temp min-wage cleaning/retail/data-entry jobs none of us have gotten decent/relevant jobs. We even have problems getting these kinds of jobs.

I have decided to post on this forum after googling and finding this thread from someone with a very similar problem: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1772590

I went to the Guardian job fair in 2010 and 11 and had my CV checked by their experts and aside from a couple minor issues my CV was good. I have lots relevant volunteer work experience. Like the other poster we also have problems with a lot of job applications in Psychology will reject you and offer you an unpaid volunteer position instead.

Is this just a common thing now that we have to accept? Or are we doing something wrong?

Bit of a long shot but have you tried looking at academic posts -research assistants and the like? You'll need to know your onions when it comes to empirical work but I've seen a fair few qualitative positions out there in the last few months that require a strong social science background, so its right up your street with psychology OP

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/cgi-bin/search.cgi?category=0300&keywords=&salary_from=&salary_to=&x=75&y=18&s=1

e.g.
http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/AEG937/research-assistant-part-time/
As usual with TSR half the posters here are not interested in offering advice but want to make the OP feel bad about her choice of course.

At least she has not been sat on the dole but has been doing work.

A lot of graduates that have got good jobs, if they are honest with themselves, will acknowledge that they had a bit of luck somewhere along the process, it's easy to stand on your high horse and think that you succeeded because you worked so hard and were just so good, but there is not that much difference between those getting successful grad jobs and some of those that are stuck outside still plugging away.
Your problem is clearly a lack of experience of relevant degree, so postgrad and more academia isn't going to help. You've probably heard this a million times by now but try volunteering since it still counts as experience and there are loads of places desperate for volunteers. :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by JobHelp
We are, but we are not even getting min wage jobs that don't require a degree.

At the job fair they suggested not to put our degree on our CV when we apply for these types of jobs but I don't know how to explain the 3 year gap? :confused:

A degree puts employers off because they know you will run a mile as soon as something better comes along.

Are you having problems getting through the application stage, or getting through the interviews / assessments?
Reply 70
Original post by JobHelp

You can't do anything with a Psychology degree with the economy this damaged. You might be able to get into teaching Psychology.
Reply 71
Original post by geetar
Have you been applying for stuff outside psychology? It's a pretty small field, and there are a lot of psychos out there.

:confused:

Are you calling psychology graduates psychopaths?
Reply 72
Original post by JobHelp

This partly comes down to the fact that Psychology is not a particularly facilitating degree, if you all had a degree in Engineering or Law I don't think you'd be in this situation.
Original post by Lamps08
Pretty sure you're right there mate, atleast for finance related jobs. I mean, I was asked that atleast twice on the phone and in person the next day(As If I would buy a car for the interview :rolleyes:)

Lol, would have thought inner Birmingham was on another continent to the outskirts the way he acted after the so what transport do you have question.Need to phone one bloke back tomorrow, more of the same I bet.

I never know how to act on the phone to these recruitment agency guys:rolleyes:
Original post by JobHelp

Sorry to hear that, but this has been the case for Psychology students for many years now. There where no jobs in it when you applied all those years ago and now there will be even less :frown: Every law student is also in the same position.
And as for little jobs, there have not been enough of these for decades. :frown:
Reply 75
Original post by JobHelp
Thanks for the helpful advice :rolleyes:

:biggrin:

Btw, I love your username.
Reply 76
Original post by anatolia3
why don't you get any further training in psychology? have you tried graduate schemes that ask for any type of degree?

Well, employers want psychology-related experience so general experience is not going to help much.
Reply 77
Original post by JobHelp

It's not your fault, but we just have to keep trying.

People in the 1930s depression didn't just give up. Likewise for the depression of our times. This is a very real economic depression and highly experienced people have lost their jobs. You're competing directly with these people - not just other grads - which is why it's so hard.

The road is long, but eventually the path will change.
What do psychology students expect, honestly?

Baffles me.

Edit: In most degree's, even 2:1 isn't enough these days. Look elsewhere, and by that, i mean abroad.
(edited 11 years ago)
What exactly do you want to do?

Im in my final year of psychology, and honestly regret ever going to uni. I most likely will come out with a 2.2 as i spend more time working as a sales assistant. I dont think you you should see this as a waste, I know alot of people who struggle to get a job at all, so hold on to what you can get for now. Why dont you try doing that, get friendly with the company and ask for HR experience? psychology is very useful in that area (and because you have already made your connections) should be easier to get into

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending