The Student Room Group

ocr f321 f322 questions and answers revision

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by otrivine
but wait f is not part of our syllabus though

even though we only use up-to D sub shell.the f sub shell tends to crop up sometimes on paper.But i don't think you need to know much about it except max electrons it occupies.
(edited 11 years ago)
but wait f is not part of our syllabus though

It is in terms of how many electrons are in it.

Its been in a past paper and it states it in the spec "state the number of electrons that can fill the first four shells - i.e. including 4f"
Reply 62
Original post by Natalie21
It is in terms of how many electrons are in it.

Its been in a past paper and it states it in the spec "state the number of electrons that can fill the first four shells - i.e. including 4f"

oh ok is it 14?
Reply 63
Original post by scorpio22
even though we only use up-to D sub shell.the f sub shell tends to crop up sometimes on paper.But i don't think you need to know much about it except max electrons it occupies.

hi how are u :wink: can u ask me questions please
oh ok is it 14?

Yeah :biggrin: in the f orbitals :smile:
Reply 65
Yeah :biggrin: in the f orbitals :smile:

so am i correct ? but how many in sub shells#
?
so am i correct ? but how many in sub shells#
?

yeah :smile:

7 f orbitals x 2 electrons in each orbital :smile:
Reply 67
yeah :smile:

7 f orbitals x 2 electrons in each orbital :smile:

so what is sub shell and orbital i get confused ?
so what is sub shell and orbital i get confused ?

orbital = space for 2 electrons with opposite spin around a nucleus i.e. a 2py orbital, 2px orbital and 2pz orbital.

sub-shell = orbitals of the same size, shape and energy e.g. the 2p sub-shell that contains the 2px, 2py and 2pz orbitals.

shell = sub-shells with the same quantum number e.g. shell 2 contains the sub-shells 2p and 2s

hope that makes sense :biggrin:
Reply 69
orbital = space for 2 electrons with opposite spin around a nucleus i.e. a 2py orbital, 2px orbital and 2pz orbital.

sub-shell = orbitals of the same size, shape and energy e.g. the 2p sub-shell that contains the 2px, 2py and 2pz orbitals.

shell = sub-shells with the same quantum number e.g. shell 2 contains the sub-shells 2p and 2s

hope that makes sense :biggrin:

got it thanks :wink:

Describe the structure of giant ionic lattice and give an example(3)
got it thanks :wink:

Describe the structure of giant ionic lattice and give an example(3)

An example is NaCl.

A regular crystalline lattice held together by the electrostatic attraction between positive cations and negative anions.
Reply 71
An example is NaCl.

A regular crystalline lattice held together by the electrostatic attraction between positive cations and negative anions.

Well done :wink: me now

also, mention it has 6:6 coordination and each cl- is surrounded by 6 na+
Well done :wink: me now

also, mention it has 6:6 coordination and each cl- is surrounded by 6 na+

Was that right? Just made it up on the spot :P

Okay thanks :smile:
Reply 73
Was that right? Just made it up on the spot :P

Okay thanks :smile:

yes you did very well it is correct can i have one hard application question last one than
yes you did very well it is correct can i have one hard application question last one than

Umm... why when you put pressure on ice does it turn to water? (think in terms of le chateliers principle).
Reply 75
Umm... why when you put pressure on ice does it turn to water? (think in terms of le chateliers principle).

because it breaks the strong hydrogen bonds in ice and more energy is applied to break the ice into liquid
because it breaks the strong hydrogen bonds in ice and more energy is applied to break the ice into liquid

That might be true but I meant in terms of Le Chateliers Principle when pressure is increased the equilibrium shifts to the side with the lowest volume of gases. As there are no gases it goes to the side with the lowest volume. As water is more dense than ice (due to ices hydrogen bonded open lattice structure), for the same mass it takes up less volume, hence the equilibrium shifts to the side with liquid water and ice turns to water :smile:
Reply 77
That might be true but I meant in terms of Le Chateliers Principle when pressure is increased the equilibrium shifts to the side with the lowest volume of gases. As there are no gases it goes to the side with the lowest volume. As water is more dense than ice (due to ices hydrogen bonded open lattice structure), for the same mass it takes up less volume, hence the equilibrium shifts to the side with liquid water and ice turns to water :smile:

oh i thought this was unit 1 cause we were revising f321 sorry
oh i thought this was unit 1 cause we were revising f321 sorry

Sorry I did say think in terms of le chateliers.
oh I like this types of threads.

F322 question for anyone that wants to answer it.

state the two type of ways ethanol is produced. state the reagents and conditions. (5)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending