The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by josesn
can anyone give me hint for gold question?
kinda stuck :frown:

The gold question should be the rg question, rg is so much easier.
Try googling strong nuclear force graph, and you should be looking for one with an energy value in the eVs, not some with MeVs
Reply 461
awesome! Thank you very much for your help!
and you are right..
rg question is easier.. :tongue:
hehe.. thankssss!! ^^
Reply 462
A help for Rg question?
Reply 463
Why isn't it 4500000000 years?
Original post by Yetix
what board? :smile:

Cambridge's Official Biology textbook for A level, biotechnology topic. There's many examples of biotechnology in there, but one of them should correspond to Gold.
Got a clue for Gold for those who are really stuck: http://www.chem1.com/acad/webtext/states/interact.html#SEC1

And as for Rg, the numbers are percentage composition. (need at least A2 Mathematics to solve).
I envy all you stuck on Gold :biggrin:

This is my first attempt, but I can't even get past the entry question :colondollar:
The molecule in the background must be the buckminster fullerene, so I thought it would be related to that, but I can't think of anyone other than Richard Buckminster Fuller... And I don't know anything about the coins except that they look gold...

If anyone is feeling sympathetic, a little clue as to how to go about answering these questions would be awesome :crossedf:
Reply 467
Have a look at Richard Smalley
Original post by Randophera

And as for Rg, the numbers are percentage composition. (need at least A2 Mathematics to solve).

Randophera has already helped me quite a bit but hes right the maths is insane. I am a teacher and just quite enjoy doing the quiz, but I never took A level maths as a youngster. So its a little disappointing how the maths level needs to be that high for a chemistry challenge.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 469
Got a clue for Gold for those who are really stuck: http://www.chem1.com/acad/webtext/states/interact.html#SEC1

I understand that I have to find when their abundances were the same but isn't that as same as the life of earth?
Original post by ajsullivan
Randophera has already helped me quite a bit but hes right the maths is insane. I am a teacher and just quite enjoy doing the quiz, but I never took A level maths as a youngster. So its a little disappointing how the maths level needs to be that high for a chemistry challenge.

I've been helping a chem teacher? (no offense whatsoever).

It's great you like the challenge. I would've finished the challenge faster had my math teacher not taken me out of the IT lab for her double period. (she wouldn't even help me with the equation too!)

Here's a clue for the mathematics involved. With enough algebra, you should arrive at this kind of equation:

0.5^(t/Half life1)=X*0.5^(t/Half life2)

Where X is a constant number.
half life 1 and half life 2 can be substituted for either of the half lives for U235 or U238.

So, what you have to do is convert X to the format of 0.5^Y. I think you can do that with logarithms. After you've done that, the right side of the equation can be changed to 0.5^(Y+ t/half life2).

So yeah, anybody who loves logarithms, Rg is quiet fun.

Hope this isn't too much of a spoiler.

It's great you like the challenge. I would've finished the challenge faster had my math teacher not taken me out of the IT lab for her double period. (she wouldn't even help me with the equation too!)

Here's a clue for the mathematics involved. With enough algebra, you should arrive at this kind of equation:

half life 1 and half life 2 can be substituted for either of the half lives for U235 or U238.

So, what you have to do is convert X to the format of 0.5^Y. I think you can do that with logarithms. After you've done that, the right side of the equation can be changed to 0.5^(Y+ t/half life2).

As i constantly tell my kids who do alevel maths, your maths is stronger than mine!! :smile:
As i constantly tell my kids who do alevel maths, your maths is stronger than mine!! :smile:

I really really hope my equations at least benefited you somehow. :colondollar:

Well, if you are extremely stuck in the algebra and logarithms, try s-cool.co.uk? That's what I used to revise for my exponentials test.

I didn't except this month's Rg to be this math heavy either. I was continually wondering if I was on the right track while doing the algebra during that intermittent double period math during school hours. Only when I entered the answer did I feel confident I was right. :smile:
Reply 473

I found the Rg question MUCH easier than the gold one..... I didn't get it at first as I missed the %abundance reference, though once that was sorted, it only took me about 15 mins or so - breaking down the equation and substituting on letters for constants makes things a lot easier :smile: I quite enjoyed that one!
Silver is being slightly confusing... anyone care to help? :s-smilie:
Reply 475
hints for gold? im SO confused :\
Oh finally matched them up for silver, just got a bit lost with some of them but it's alright lol, much simpler than I expected haha XD
Any kind fella going to help me with gold. looks way too complex. I am in year 11 - only know AS maths and bits of A2 :frown:
Stuck on RG myself. Sort of know what to do, just not how to do it. i think!

Please help with gold!!!
Reply 479
Original post by GreenLantern1
Please help with gold!!!

Don't give up!

If I can do it, you can.

Quick Reply

Latest