The Student Room Group
Reply 9940
Original post by vinchenzo25
I do AQA but this might still be useful - the difference between an A and an A* on our paper is the quality of evaluation on essays. Try to evaluate all the way throughout an essay and develop a debate rather than saving this until your conclusion at the end !

This is true but the problem I have is that I focus so much on the evaluation I sometimes miss the easier analysis marks. Know the basics and use context.
economics at warwick or econ philosophy at lse? This is frowned upon but probably end goal financial sector job..
Original post by Tigger2010
economics at warwick or econ philosophy at lse? This is frowned upon but probably end goal financial sector job..

LSE

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=716188&page=427

probably get better answers

Original post by Brand New Eyes
LSE

Cheers just needed some confirmation that i was making the right decision :smile:
Reply 9945
Cheers just needed some confirmation that i was making the right decision :smile:

It won't make a difference, Warwick Econ will leave your options with regards to academia but LSE might pose a slight advantage in the way of ease to go to networking events and interviews in London.

As long as it's one of the top 5 uni it doesn't really matter. Choose the course you'd enjoy more and decide whether you want to live in a big city like London or not. :smile:
Original post by nightmare91
As long as it's one of the top 5 uni it doesn't really matter. Choose the course you'd enjoy more and decide whether you want to live in a big city like London or not. :smile:

It's not really about the league tables unfortunately, I met someone who had worked in IB for 6 years the other day and the targets are basically:

Oxbridge, LSE then ICL/(UCL) the latter get more opportunities mostly because of location and London is more exposed to the career events.
It's not really about the league tables unfortunately, I met someone who had worked in IB for 6 years the other day and the targets are basically:

Oxbridge, LSE then ICL/(UCL) the latter get more opportunities mostly because of location and London is more exposed to the career events.

I didn't mean the league tables. But you're right, the top 5 (plus Imperial) are Oxbridge, UCL, Warwick and LSE. I know someone who had an internship at Deutsche Bank in London in 2010 and most people were from LSE, Warwick, UCL and Cambridge. But again, even from a non-target it's possible. It just makes it easier if go to a target.

I'm not really sure about that. I have a very close relative working at one of the bulge brackets and from what he says, Warwick gets more into FO (largely because of WBS and the Econ/Maths depts),than Imperial for obvious reasons, and a similar amount to UCL. Oxbridge and LSE are the 'inner circle' in terms of the targets and will probably get the most students in yearly, and Warwick, UCL and Imperial are the 'outer circle' with Imperial filling the quant roles typically.

EDIT: Unless someone likes Econ & Phil equally, I have no idea why they would endure 3 years of Philosophy just for the brand value.
(edited 11 years ago)
I didn't mean the league tables. But you're right, the top 5 (plus Imperial) are Oxbridge, UCL, Warwick and LSE. I know someone who had an internship at Deutsche Bank in London in 2010 and most people were from LSE, Warwick, UCL and Cambridge. But again, even from a non-target it's possible. It just makes it easier if go to a target.

You said top 5...!

Yep, just that little bit harder. I am curious to know whether they care which degree you do I mean:

Sociology @ LSE vs. say Economics at Nottingham or something

:ninja:
You said top 5...!

Yep, just that little bit harder. I am curious to know whether they care which degree you do I mean:

Sociology @ LSE vs. say Economics at Nottingham or something

:ninja:

Well in the IB forum on TSR the Top 5 are those universities, sorry for the misunderstanding :tongue:

At LSE you will have the networking/events opportunities regardless of your degree. But apparently firms don't care about your degree anyway. I've heard of people with a history degree that secured internships :eek: I guess in that case it comes down to the individual person. What he did, what work experience he had, his academic results etc.

Btw have you decided yet where to go? :smile:
Reply 9952
Well in the IB forum on TSR the Top 5 are those universities, sorry for the misunderstanding :tongue:

At LSE you will have the networking/events opportunities regardless of your degree. But apparently firms don't care about your degree anyway. I've heard of people with a history degree that secured internships :eek: I guess in that case it comes down to the individual person. What he did, what work experience he had, his academic results etc.

Btw have you decided yet where to go? :smile:

History is not that uncommon actually, especially from Oxford.

At LSE you will have the networking/events opportunities regardless of your degree. But apparently firms don't care about your degree anyway. I've heard of people with a history degree that secured internships :eek:

degree doesn't really matter aside from S&T and the very quantitative roles which require very advanced Mathematical ability. In theory, Zoology at Cambridge is probably better placed than Economics from somewhere like Lancaster for a role in IBD or similar, where you only need 'soft' skills.
Original post by Tateco
History is not that uncommon actually, especially from Oxford.

Original post by Tsunami2011
degree doesn't really matter aside from S&T and the very quantitative roles which require very advanced Mathematical ability. In theory, Zoology at Cambridge is probably better placed than Economics from somewhere like Lancaster for a role in IBD or similar, where you only need 'soft' skills.

That's true I guess. Is anyone of you interested in S&T btw? I always hear people wanting to get into IBD but almost never into S&T.
Reply 9955
That's true I guess. Is anyone of you interested in S&T btw? I always hear people wanting to get into IBD but almost never into S&T.

I'm probably more interested in trading than IBD but don't know for sure yet, it's too early to tell.
:lol:

S&T

... Sales and Trading?

Sven, I still haven't decided.
Original post by Tateco
I'm probably more interested in trading than IBD but don't know for sure yet, it's too early to tell.

Yea I don't know either. Sitting in front of 6 screens all day isn't that exciting though :biggrin:

:lol:

S&T

... Sales and Trading?

Sven, I still haven't decided.

Yep Sales and Trading.

Isn't the deadline like in a week? Well either way, you'll make the right choice, I am sure :smile:
Yea I don't know either. Sitting in front of 6 screens all day isn't that exciting though :biggrin:

Yep Sales and Trading.

Isn't the deadline like in a week? Well either way, you'll make the right choice, I am sure :smile:

Trading is a hell of a lot more exciting than IBD thats for sure. Sitting in front of 6 screens all day watching the markets and making trades vs sitting in a cubicle all day changing the formatting of a pitchbook ready to be printed off (for 16 hours a day, every day).

Trading is a very fast paced environment with a lot of pressure whilst IBD is just slow and boring but each to their own.
Reply 9959
Original post by Scorcher
Trading is a hell of a lot more exciting than IBD thats for sure. Sitting in front of 6 screens all day watching the markets and making trades vs sitting in a cubicle all day changing the formatting of a pitchbook ready to be printed off (for 16 hours a day, every day).

Trading is a very fast paced environment with a lot of pressure whilst IBD is just slow and boring but each to their own.

I assume you have had some fairly decent exposure to both these divisions then?

Latest

Trending

Trending