This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nut.
:jerry:

Spoiler

Original post by laut_biru
I'm not sure who here would disagree with the idea of more funding. I don't think even Saber could disagree with on that one.

still, I think it's best to avoid things like that in here, I don't want to end up derailing the thread especially if it becomes a heated discussion as I can imagine that people come to this thread to avoid things like that. if people really want to know my views on this (I imagine they aren't hard to ascertain from what iv'e said in the past anyway) they are more than welcome to PM me though :smile:
Original post by avhhs
Is that O'Sullivan by any chance? :biggrin: He's my favourite too :biggrin: Though it's the first time this year that I've seen any of his matches :eek: :tongue:

It certainly is! Was getting a bit worried about him before this tournament but he looks back in form! :biggrin:
Original post by laut_biru
I'm not sure who here would disagree with the idea of more funding. I don't think even Saber could disagree with on that one.

Well, that depends where the funding comes from. :holmes:

I do enjoy a good argument. :cool:
Original post by Nut.
I'll have a stab at this, just in case your post gets buried and nobody else answers it.

First of all, whilst your feelings towards this teacher sound completely understandable in the circumstances, and because you've been talking to her for long, if I were you I'd start looking for little ways to distance yourself from her now, because you are so close to leaving school and not having her for support in the future. That should make the wrench when you leave school a little easier to handle.

If you see her on a regular basis, or have a set time each day/week that you see her, maybe you could try to space these out a bit more?

Once you've found somebody supportive it's easy to fall into the trap of depending on them a little too much. It isn't your fault, because you're vulnerable at the moment - it's a natural reaction, but it can still be problematic.

I had a teacher at school who helped me out for 2 years and who was my form tutor for 5 years, but she changed schools and moved a couple of hundred miles away when I was in year 12, which I found really difficult to deal with for a while, which is why I'd encourage you to slowly start preparing yourself now by not seeing this teacher quite so much, and by letting her know why (that you're aware you're leaving soon etc.)

You don't say in your post, but I presume you've been diagnosed, and have some other form of support in place? Whether from your GP, CAMHS, etc. ? If you don't, I'd strongly recommend seeing a doctor and getting some other support in place. Teachers can be excellent listeners, good empathisers, and have some level of training for talking to students, but in most cases professionals such as GPs, psychologists, psychiatrists and counsellors will be much better placed to advise and give support.

When it comes to talking to other people, I understand what you mean when you say it doesn't feel as helpful as talking to this teacher. An understanding with a person, whether it be a teacher, a friend or a doctor, comes with time. When you've found a good listener you don't want to let them go because it feels like nobody will understand you in the same way that they do, but I can promise you that there are lots of other people out there that will do a good job if you give them time and a little of your trust.

I know it can be difficult - I've felt it when my teacher left; when I was transferred from child and adolescent to adult mental health care; when my schools nurse was reassigned - but the truth is that after a few sessions with a new person, provided that they are good at their job (and most of them are) you'll feel just as supported by them as you do now by your teacher (though I wouldn't expect hugs from a psychiatrist :tongue:).

Hope that helped, even if it was a little rambling and long. :hugs:

That did help. It was nice to read, so thank you. :hugs:

I met up with her today and literally just asked for a hug then said I was going so that I didn't stress her out.

I know what you are saying about needing to distance myself from her. I have been trying to do that for a while, but then I have a weekend of just missing her so badly and when I see her in lessons, I want to talk to her even more, and if I don't I get more upset.

Do you think I should perhaps tell her that I will miss her and I'm trying not to go to her for everything, but that I still need her sometimes? Maybe then like you suggested we could arrange time to chat and spread those out the nearer it gets to the time when I have to say goodbye :frown:

I'm afraid (and this might annoy some of you which I'd understand) but I haven't been clinically diagnosed. I just know from other people in my family who have had it that I have all the symptoms and more importantly I know how I feel. I've been advised to go to the doctors or a counsellor before, but to be honest, I just don't want to. The last thing I want to do is get put on drugs or anything like that, and I think I try some of my own cognitive therapies (I study psychology - I know this doesn't make me an expert but it gives me ideas lol). I've read books on how to stress proof my life and everything - because I figured this was the main source of my depressed feelings. So I'm doing pretty much all I can, and I am feeling better and I am helping myself. Right now I'm just struggiling to get back to being independent, and I'm scared if I don't talk to my mentor I will bottle it all up and spiral back to the horrible place I went to. :frown:

So again just incase my question got lost in that ramble lol! Do you think I should tell her how I feel about me missing her and what not?.. but perhaps not go into the soppy weird stuff...

Thanks again for replying.
Original post by Webberino
Alright, started going through some notes while watching snooker. At least my favourite player is doing well.

Hope you feel better soon. :hugs:
Ah well, sure you will do better next time. :hugs:
Ah that can be a pain, hopefully it won't all fall on you.

That's good then! :hugs:

Thanks.
She's coming from 5 and is likely to stay past 10pm, aaah. She's lovely but there's only so many "Oooh, there's this lady at Church and she..." stories you can take.
Today I had a free so was staring into space revising in a computer room and a boy from my year comes in and starts calling me stupid and just generally embarrass me. It was so odd though because we were the only ones in the room, so it wasn't like he was showing off to his friends or anything. All attempts at defending myself just made the situation worse, obviously. :rolleyes:
Original post by SciFiBoy
that's pretty awful they haven't called you or anything? :/

exactly, it's absurd they don't put proper funding and staff in to mental health services, meh, im gonna stop here cause otherwise im gonna go off on a big political rant and people won't like that :tongue:

I hope you feel better soon and that they get back to you about your appointment! :hugs:

I just emailed them and got an immediate response that I have been allocated a therapist and they're just sorting out a therapy timetable. Does it really take 4 months to get around to that?

*grumbles*

I don't think anyone in here would disagree that mental health needs better funding. The government will be sorry when we all go stark raving mad and spend our days chewing their ankles.
Reply 9646
Original post by roardinosaur
That did help. It was nice to read, so thank you. :hugs:

I met up with her today and literally just asked for a hug then said I was going so that I didn't stress her out.

I know what you are saying about needing to distance myself from her. I have been trying to do that for a while, but then I have a weekend of just missing her so badly and when I see her in lessons, I want to talk to her even more, and if I don't I get more upset.

Do you think I should perhaps tell her that I will miss her and I'm trying not to go to her for everything, but that I still need her sometimes? Maybe then like you suggested we could arrange time to chat and spread those out the nearer it gets to the time when I have to say goodbye :frown:

I'm afraid (and this might annoy some of you which I'd understand) but I haven't been clinically diagnosed. I just know from other people in my family who have had it that I have all the symptoms and more importantly I know how I feel. I've been advised to go to the doctors or a counsellor before, but to be honest, I just don't want to. The last thing I want to do is get put on drugs or anything like that, and I think I try some of my own cognitive therapies (I study psychology - I know this doesn't make me an expert but it gives me ideas lol). I've read books on how to stress proof my life and everything - because I figured this was the main source of my depressed feelings. So I'm doing pretty much all I can, and I am feeling better and I am helping myself. Right now I'm just struggiling to get back to being independent, and I'm scared if I don't talk to my mentor I will bottle it all up and spiral back to the horrible place I went to. :frown:

So again just incase my question got lost in that ramble lol! Do you think I should tell her how I feel about me missing her and what not?.. but perhaps not go into the soppy weird stuff...

Thanks again for replying.

Yeah I think it'd be a good idea to tell her, that way you can work together to find a way to make the leaving process easier, rather than her worrying that you are withdrawing, or you struggling with it on your own.

I don't think it will (or should) annoy anybody on here that you haven't had a diagnosis. It's completely up to you whether or not you go to a doctor. Just to reassure you, they can't force drugs on you, and sometimes the therapies that they can recommend you for can be more helpful that doing things alone - if you get paired with the right professional it can work wonders.

It's just a thought. I studied psychology and I read every book I could get my hands on from the age of 12 onwards (when I first got ill) but nothing helped me as much as when I was referred to CAMHS at 16. As I said, completely up to you of course, but just might be something worth bearing in mind, especially when you consider that your mood might take a hit when you leave school and your teacher behind. If you're interested in doing it, now might be the right time to start building up a bit of a relationship with your GP so that you have somebody to vent to if being without the teacher to talk to becomes difficult?

But yes, I'd recommend telling the teacher now that you're a bit anxious about losing her support when you leave school and you could maybe talk to her about her thoughts for where you could go for support?
Good luck!
Original post by Anonymous
That's good then! :hugs:

Thanks.
She's coming from 5 and is likely to stay past 10pm, aaah. She's lovely but there's only so many "Oooh, there's this lady at Church and she..." stories you can take.
Today I had a free so was staring into space revising in a computer room and a boy from my year comes in and starts calling me stupid and just generally embarrass me. It was so odd though because we were the only ones in the room, so it wasn't like he was showing off to his friends or anything. All attempts at defending myself just made the situation worse, obviously. :rolleyes:

Aah I understand, my mum's friend once showed me about 20 pictures of pipes from when work was being done in his place!
What a strange fellow! Some people are just nasty unfortunetly, hope you're ok. :console:
Original post by Webberino
Aah I understand, my mum's friend once showed me about 20 pictures of pipes from when work was being done in his place!
What a strange fellow! Some people are just nasty unfortunetly, hope you're ok. :console:

How fascinating!

I'm ok, thanks :hugs:
Feeling really unsafe right now.

I know I shouldn't have looked, yes I'm a dumbass, but I have nearly twice the good lethal dose of quetiapine. I just picked up a month's worth today. Why the **** did I look? :banghead:
Original post by Sabertooth
Feeling really unsafe right now.

I know I shouldn't have looked, yes I'm a dumbass, but I have nearly twice the good lethal dose of quetiapine. I just picked up a month's worth today. Why the **** did I look? :banghead:

If you wanted, you could keep two weeks for yourself, send the rest to either me or Wolf, and then we can send you a weeks worth to you on a weekly basis. Feel free to adjust time periods as needed.
Original post by rmhumphries
If you wanted, you could keep two weeks for yourself, send the rest to either me or Wolf, and then we can send you a weeks worth to you on a weekly basis. Feel free to adjust time periods as needed.

I don't think that would work. 2 weeks is a good overdose amount. :frown: And tbh, it's right this minute that's the problem, usually I'm fine. But all day today they've been telling me to self harm, I've been wearing a hoody so I don't hallucinate the cuts so now they've found a better way of getting me to hurt myself.

But thank you for the offer.
I don't think that would work. 2 weeks is a good overdose amount. :frown: And tbh, it's right this minute that's the problem, usually I'm fine. But all day today they've been telling me to self harm, I've been wearing a hoody so I don't hallucinate the cuts so now they've found a better way of getting me to hurt myself.

Well I did say, adjust the times as needed, I don't know what would be a good amount for you to keep. If needed, you could have only 3 days supply, and either me or Wolf could post one to you daily. Hopefully it won't be needed, but if you ever want to take me up on the offer, let me know :smile:

Also, I believe you can get most pharmacies to do something similar, where you get a script for a months pills, but they only give you a week at a time -> if you didn't want to put me to trouble (not that I would mind).
Somebody come and set fire to my bedroom and then we will run away and live in a tent and drink strawberry wine and raspberry cider and life will be perfect.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Somebody come and set fire to my bedroom and then we will run away and live in a tent and drink strawberry wine and raspberry cider and life will be perfect.

Sounds good :yy: When SuperWolf wakes up, we come and get you? Wolf can even bring some socks :tongue:
Sounds good :yy: When SuperWolf wakes up, we come and get you? Wolf can even bring some socks :tongue:

And Wolf can be au naturale.
Reply 9656

Well I did say, adjust the times as needed, I don't know what would be a good amount for you to keep. If needed, you could have only 3 days supply, and either me or Wolf could post one to you daily. Hopefully it won't be needed, but if you ever want to take me up on the offer, let me know :smile:

Also, I believe you can get most pharmacies to do something similar, where you get a script for a months pills, but they only give you a week at a time -> if you didn't want to put me to trouble (not that I would mind).

Just to butt in, Rob's right, pharmacies do do that. In fact, my GP insisted that I only get 4 days worth at once for precisely the same reason, and the same medication.

I'm stuck doing some ridiculous HCI coursework and planning for next week's group project day (in which I will spectacularly vomit down as many important people as possible :biggrin:).

I'll be freeeee after next Wednesday though if you'll be around? I do enjoy those socks. They are my most favourite type of sock. Especially when I wear them as a hat.
Original post by headunderwater
And Wolf can be au naturale.

That's Wolf's default state :tongue:

I dunno, it's normally not a problem just things are really ****ing bad this evening. :frown:

Spoiler

I don't think it's going to be enough. :frown:

Latest