The Student Room Group
Original post by Tateco
I assume you have had some fairly decent exposure to both these divisions then?

Trading yes but not IBD. Although I have met people who work in IBD who echo those statements. Just look around at WSO or the IB forum on here and ask anyone who has interned/works in IBD.

Some people will not work well under pressure and won't be able to handle trading (you might be one of those) so naturally they/you will be better suited to IBD so as I said, each to their own.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tsunami2011
I'm not really sure about that. I have a very close relative working at one of the bulge brackets and from what he says, Warwick gets more into FO (largely because of WBS and the Econ/Maths depts),than Imperial for obvious reasons, and a similar amount to UCL. Oxbridge and LSE are the 'inner circle' in terms of the targets and will probably get the most students in yearly, and Warwick, UCL and Imperial are the 'outer circle' with Imperial filling the quant roles typically.

EDIT: Unless someone likes Econ & Phil equally, I have no idea why they would endure 3 years of Philosophy just for the brand value.

inner circle (if such a thing exists): oxbridge + Imperial

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/854d8a6c-da81-11dd-8c28-000077b07658.html
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Scorcher
Trading yes but not IBD. Although I have met people who work in IBD who echo those statements. Just look around at WSO or the IB forum on here and ask anyone who has interned/works in IBD.

Some people will not work well under pressure and won't be able to handle trading (you might be one of those) so naturally they/you will be better suited to IBD so as I said, each to their own.

Yea I've heard IBD is a bit dull. But let's be honest, most people that work at an Investment bank don't want to spend the rest of their life there. The ones I talked to were aiming for Private Equity/Hedge Funds.

Yeah I saw that. Not convinced though, considering that LSE is regarded as a 'breeding ground for bankers' and get more into the industry.

Original post by nightmare91
That's true I guess. Is anyone of you interested in S&T btw? I always hear people wanting to get into IBD but almost never into S&T.

The hours in IBD are pretty crazy i.e 18hrs, and far more mundanem which traders only operate when the markets are alive. I think IBD is more spoken about on here, because you' don't need a specific degree to apply hence why its more competitive, and its more reliant on soft skills which moulded further. Whilst S&T does seem to need more hard skills. My bro works at GS and from what he says IBD is generally for the pretty faces, and is more diverse in the makeup of analysts intake. But, by large even if you're on the trading floor, you have a limited amount of power as a junior analyst., and as they say, a first year trader isn't worth the seat he sits on. I would prefer S&T, but am probably not doing a quantitative degree, so may find it hard to get a look in. (do have A-Level Maths though)

So strange how I'm on this thread, but not actually an Econ applicant :lol:
(edited 11 years ago)
Yea I've heard IBD is a bit dull. But let's be honest, most people that work at an Investment bank don't want to spend the rest of their life there. The ones I talked to were aiming for Private Equity/Hedge Funds.

True, but don't think Private Equity is any better. You will still be slugging away in a cubicle on pitchbooks for 16 hours a day, the only thing is you will be on slightly better money. Private Equity will never be exciting, it's just working the same hours and doing the same **** as IBD on a pay rise.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9965

:rofl: Where did that come from?
Original post by Tsunami2011
Yeah I saw that. Not convinced though, considering that LSE is regarded as a 'breeding ground for bankers' and get more into the industry.

That is not the only article mentionning this inner circle.

The total number is one thing, I think the most interesting is the ratio admission/application per school.
Original post by Tateco
:rofl: Where did that come from?

That wasn't a dig at you btw, I was just saying it is not uncommon for people to gravitate to IBD because of the stress of trading, i.e could be any of us that couldn't handle it. Sorry if it came across like that :redface:
Reply 9968
That wasn't a dig at you btw, I was just saying it is not uncommon for people to gravitate to IBD because of the stress of trading, i.e could be any of us that couldn't handle it. Sorry if it came across like that :redface:

Haha, I wouldn't just discount IBD in terms of stress levels, trading must be pretty intense but slogging it out as a junior in M&A probably takes its toll,
Original post by Brand New Eyes

I still haven't decided.

If you're really unsure about which uni to choose make a thread about it (w/without a poll)

But once again I'd say.

Durham. Durham. Durham.

My reasons why :

Spoiler

In short: Department wise pretty much even. Uni prestige Durham edges it.
Original post by funkydee
If you're really unsure about which uni to choose make a thread about it (w/without a poll)

But once again I'd say.

Durham. Durham. Durham.

My reasons why :

Spoiler

In short: Department wise pretty much even. Uni prestige Durham edges it.

Thank you for your extensive stalking knowledge :biggrin: I pretty much decided a few days ago but this pushes my % of certainty up slightly!

You're going to LSE right?

11 MORE POSTS! :eek:
Thank you for your extensive stalking knowledge :biggrin: I pretty much decided a few days ago but this pushes my % of certainty up slightly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyggY_R3jU8 10 :cool:

Someone NEEDS to create a new one! Where is Tateco when you need him :biggrin:
Someone NEEDS to create a new one! Where is Tateco when you need him :biggrin:

SEVEN +1 :lol:

Anyone can make a new thread! Okay now... :ninja: who will be the 10,000th post
(edited 11 years ago)
SEVEN :redface:

Anyone can make a new thread! Okay now... :ninja: who will be the 10,000th post

But Tateco is our thread-dad! :tongue: But okay. The last one to post in this thread has to create the new one :colone:

SIX
I think Tateco should make it, it will feel weird to me otherwise :tongue:
*volunteers*

nah im kidding Tateco has the honours yo

Haha :colondollar: anything to avoid revision/proactive!

And hopefully need to buckle down for exams soon though *yawns*
Reply 9978
Boo.

R.I.P. Econ App Thread 2012
Original post by -Illmatic-
*volunteers*

nah im kidding Tateco has the honours yo

A quick look tells me you're our 2nd highest poster; only about 1200 posts behind 1st though :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending