The Student Room Group

Does Psychology count as a 'Science'?

The reason I ask is, I want to apply for a Music Prod course and it asks for a numerate, technological or scientific A level grade c or above.

Would my Pswychology count?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Average_Aaron
The reason I ask is, I want to apply for a Music Prod course and it asks for a numerate, technological or scientific A level grade c or above.

Would my Pswychology count?

If I were you I would email and ask! There is no harm in doing that :smile:, and they'd probably like that you were showing initiative.
Reply 2
Not a Science. Science is defined as: Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry.

Psychology is a Social Science.
Reply 3
Original post by Wired_In

Are you for real?
Reply 4
Original post by Dillio
Are you for real?

I know! Biology is not a science!! xD
When I applied for Psychology they told me I needed a science, and that Psychology counted as a science. Not sure whether it applies to your course but most likely. I'd ask.
I'd ring up and ask the uni. If they say no, it's probably because they're having a bad day because of repressed sexual feelings towards their own mother.
Reply 7
Whether a university classifies Psychology as a science is not a measure of science.

Science is defined as those areas of research that implement the scientific method. In most cases, psychology fits the bill.
Reply 8
Original post by KyraBloke
I know! Biology is not a science!! xD

Yes it is.
Original post by Kiss
Yes it is.

Obvious joke is obvious.
Reply 10
It is considered a 'soft science.' If I was you I'll just call/ email them if they'll accept it. Universities do. So hopefully they will do
You need to contact them directly, as everyone is saying. Psychology A level does not have the same level of rigour that say, physics, has. However, it does follow the scientific method and is a science. Sometimes when people ask for a science, they are expecting the 4 standards (maths, biology, chemistry, physics) rather than things like psychology.
Reply 12
Original post by Wired_In

Mathematics is not a science.
Reply 13
Sciences: Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics.
Social science: Economics, Accountancy, Psychology, Religious Studies, Sociology, Politics.
Some universities count psychology as a science others don't. the best way to find out is if you ring up the universities. theres a large debate on whether psychology is science or not
Reply 15
Original post by 764dak
Mathematics is not a science.

Yes it is. Maths is slightly different as you use proof to get a theory. In the 3 'main' sciences, you would do a test to prove something.
Original post by pop101
Sciences: Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics.
Social science: Economics, Accountancy, Psychology, Religious Studies, Sociology, Politics.

Exactly.

Look at all these psychology die hards on this thread, trying to big up their subject.

Psychology is a social science as you said, nothing more, nothing less.
Reply 17
Original post by pop101
Yes it is. Maths is slightly different as you use proof to get a theory. In the 3 'main' sciences, you would do a test to prove something.

Actually, you cannot prove anything in science. You fail to reject the hypothesis.
Reply 18
Not even close.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 19
Original post by 764dak
Actually, you cannot prove anything in science. You fail to reject the hypothesis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_proof

You may be right about scientific 'proof' which should rather be scientific evidence. But any how, that's the main difference between the 2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending