Year out in industry on a Tier 4 visa, possible?

    • Thread Starter

    Planning to take a year out in industry between my 3rd and 4th year doing an MEng degree (at Warwick), however not sure if I am elegible for doing so under my current visa.

    My visa was issued for a 4-year MEng course only, and as far as I know, if I went for the "year in industry" scheme I will be retaining "student status" and pay a small amount of fees while doing the year out, but will not do any actual studying. I was thinking I have these options but not sure if valid/possible or not:

    1. Do the year out while having my current visa, and when I am done I renew it for another year (my final year).

    2. Revoke my Tier 4 visa and apply for a work visa (whatever tier that is), and then re-apply for a Tier 4 once I am done with the year out (or during).

    I would appreciate any input from someone who has done a year out successfully (or failed to do so). Also I heard about changes to the visa application process that makes it impossible to re-apply/renew while in the UK, did those go into effect?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 4, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What is stopping you from being in a happy relationship?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.