The Student Room Group

SOAS or KCL for Politics?

I still haven't replied to my offers ... will need to do so today or tomorrow morning :s-smilie:

Can't decide which to firm, SOAS want AAA and I like like their Asian/Middle Eastern focused course - also much more broad course than KCL's one

KCL on the other hand - for International Politics - want AAB. I'm just worried its too specific, because international politics is usually one module of general politics degrees. But I liked the place when I visited it, felt more uni like than SOAS

I just want to ask - which Politics degree from these 2 unis would be more valued/or are they both on same level, & which would you advise me to firm?
Reply 1
Original post by Fofo
I still haven't replied to my offers ... will need to do so today or tomorrow morning :s-smilie:

Can't decide which to firm, SOAS want AAA and I like like their Asian/Middle Eastern focused course - also much more broad course than KCL's one

KCL on the other hand - for International Politics - want AAB. I'm just worried its too specific, because international politics is usually one module of general politics degrees. But I liked the place when I visited it, felt more uni like than SOAS

I just want to ask - which Politics degree from these 2 unis would be more valued/or are they both on same level, & which would you advise me to firm?

KCL want AAA if you're applying next year.
Reply 2
They're more or less evenly ranked. I have friends who go to both and both seem quite happy. SOAS is quite small and rather ugly and it's kind of ULU's hippy younger cousin (there always seem to be drum circles and the smell of pot in the air), but a lot of people like it for that reason. It also has pretty rubbish facilities from what I understand. KCL has a lot of history but I think it's a more security focused (being 'war studies'), and also the campuses are quite spread out, but your classes should (I believe) be in one area. If you have a regional interest in the ME, Africa or Asia, SOAS is probably the better choice, and they have loads of hard-to-find language courses. I'm pretty sure KCL offers their IR students membership to the IISS (International Institute of Strategic Studies) Library, because I see them in there sometimes, and maybe some other think tanks like RUSI and Chatham House, which are useful opportunities. Ultimately, you should visit both campuses, evaluate what you're interested in doing afterwards and that should make the decision pretty straightforward....

Quick Reply