The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
Carroll be a handful for terry, come on, the guy handled messi and he's faced bigger problems than Carroll, he plays with big players like drogba every day. I'm not wumming, but to say he'll be a handful for terry is a joke, terry is strong and good aerially, so is ivanovic. I don't think you can beat us with an aerial or physical threat in all honesty with players like essien/ivanovic/terry/romeu and mikel on our team. They don't call us a rich mans stoke for nothing.

I think it's better using a more pacey threat. Like bellamy, suarez, downing. Maxi has a good scoring rate too so he'll be useful.
Anyway, cheers to a nice and boring cup final. 2-1 or 1-0 most likely.

I am not saying Carroll will win the duel with Terry, he won't, but he will certainly be a distraction and create time and space for Suarez. It will also mean we don't isolate Suarez.

In fact I recall terry saying Carroll was the most difficult Striker he faced last year (while he was still at Newcastle admittedly).

I know we won't win physically, but we need to compete, and with a midfield as strong as yours, we need Gerrard playing deep, and that's another reason i feel Carroll must start.
Original post by Torrresss
I would probably agree with him. I would instantly take FA Cup win and 8th, over 5th, and would be a long debate over whether I would take LC and FA cup (and 8th) over 4th, and ending the season trophyless.

In 10 years time people will have forgotten who came 4th, but we will still remember the potential cup wins fondly. Admittedly the UCL is good for the finances and attracting the top players, but It's clear we are a long way from being able to compete in the UCL, so I don't feel the rush.

However I can easily see the other side of the coin. Champions league nights are the greatest, and Anfield is never louder than in a big European match. Certainly must be improving massively in the league next season, and I wouldn't accept a good cup run over league position two years in a row.

Portsmouth of 2008 springs to mind. You just basically disagreed with what you said earlier with the bold bit. You wouldn't have it the next season, but why would you have it this season? I would rather be arsenal. Maybe because the trophies can be used for bragging rights over coming second. But I want to see my team in the champions league, I would be unhappy if my team won the FA cup and didn't go into the CL this season. Would rather finish top 4 and trophyless, we can attract good players and do well.

Cavani, di maria, pedro and the kind of players you need to attract aren't going to go to the team who won the FA cup and finished mid table, they'll go to the team that was 1st-4th. They would rather go to newcastle/tottenham than you guys.

Milan did this, sacked capello for a poor league position even though he went a season unbeaten a few years ago. It's not acceptable, even if it is dalglish.
Original post by jam277
Portsmouth of 2008 springs to mind. You just basically disagreed with what you said earlier with the bold bit. You wouldn't have it the next season, but why would you have it this season? I would rather be arsenal. Maybe because the trophies can be used for bragging rights over coming second. But I want to see my team in the champions league, I would be unhappy if my team won the FA cup and didn't go into the CL this season. Would rather finish top 4 and trophyless, we can attract good players and do well.

Cavani, di maria, pedro and the kind of players you need to attract aren't going to go to the team who won the FA cup and finished mid table, they'll go to the team that was 1st-4th. They would rather go to newcastle/tottenham than you guys.

Milan did this, sacked capello for a poor league position even though he went a season unbeaten a few years ago. It's not acceptable, even if it is dalglish.

It's not a contradiction in reality, our Goals for next season must be different to this season. We have a relatively new squad, and it is unreasonable to expect them to perform at their best in the first season. But to scrape and battle to two cup wins shows good progress, and gives the fans something to cheer about after 5/6 years without anything. However this squad must progress and improve in the league next year. I would be happy this time next year sat in the top 4, trophyless but knowing we had won two trophies the year before.
It sounds odd, but I didn't expect a top 4 finish this season, so I am not too bothered about us missing out on it.

I would hate to be Arsenal. Consistent, but never giving the fans something to cheer. All they really are becoming is a business. Turning in nice numbers for the accountants, but with nothing on the football pitch to show for it.

And I disagree on your NUFC/THFC comment. Although we won't sign players who are anxious for immediate success, we can still attract 'loyal' players who believe the club is going somewhere. Liverpool still has an appeal to many players. Suarez signed when we didn't have UCL football, as did Merieles, both leaving clubs where it was almost guarenteed. What we have to sell the players is 'the project' and show them where we expect to be in 2/3 years. This way we will also get players who stick around for the long term.
Original post by Torrresss
It's not a contradiction in reality, our Goals for next season must be different to this season. We have a relatively new squad, and it is unreasonable to expect them to perform at their best in the first season. But to scrape and battle to two cup wins shows good progress, and gives the fans something to cheer about after 5/6 years without anything. However this squad must progress and improve in the league next year. I would be happy this time next year sat in the top 4, trophyless but knowing we had won two trophies the year before.
It sounds odd, but I didn't expect a top 4 finish this season, so I am not too bothered about us missing out on it.

I would hate to be Arsenal. Consistent, but never giving the fans something to cheer. All they really are becoming is a business. Turning in nice numbers for the accountants, but with nothing on the football pitch to show for it.

And I disagree on your NUFC/THFC comment. Although we won't sign players who are anxious for immediate success, we can still attract 'loyal' players who believe the club is going somewhere. Liverpool still has an appeal to many players. Suarez signed when we didn't have UCL football, as did Merieles, both leaving clubs where it was almost guarenteed. What we have to sell the players is 'the project' and show them where we expect to be in 2/3 years. This way we will also get players who stick around for the long term.

Meireles was surplus to AVB and was swiftly replaced by moutinho.
Suarez, well with his disciplinary record, not many teams would take a punt on him. But he's still a great player.

Add to that, would meireles and suarez win the CL with porto and ajax, very unlikely as their respective teams would get raided the second they have a team capable of winning it consistently (see ajax 15-20 years ago when they still had seedorf and kluivert and porto last year and in 2004) they're more likely to win the CL with liverpool.

I agree with the project idea being enough to attract some good players(see juventus). Although with all these signings, do you expect this team to gel and be successful? Because 100million has been spent and you're in a worse league position than you were a season ago.

Unless you can seriously tell me most of the players you've bought for rebuilding will be vital for success 5 years down the line. Adam and downing costed 28 million together for starters.

Carroll needs to sort out his form, are you gonna stick with carroll for another year if he plays like this next season? You still need a winger despite buying downing who's at the peak of his career.
Reply 8104
I don't see what he said wrong there, obviously the top four is different but doesn't he say he'd rather win two cups than finish fifth or sixth? We are already in the Europa League through winning the cup so I don't see why I'd rather finish fifth than have the FA cup?
I agree with whoever said Gerrard needs to be deeper tomorow. I am normally a huge advocate of Gerrard playing higher up the pitch with the striker but his experience will be needed in the middle tomorow as the rest of our midfield pales in comparison to the Chelsea one.
Original post by pbsjohnz
If there is any other formation apart from Gerrard playing as a centre forward/ central attacking mid just behind Suarez, who is a lone striker. I will be angry. I just hope Suarez can continue his finishing form, which frankly has been average to poor for most of this season, with a lot of wasted 1 on 1's and easy chances.

I think Carroll must not start and we must play along the ground. If he starts he won't win all the headers anyway as Terry is an aggressive headerer of the ball. Suarez will cause Terry much more problems with his quick feet. As for Gerrard, well it's Gerrard in a final, you can't ask for a better player for LFC then him.

This. I think we'll both be disappointed :frown:
Reply 8107
I expect us to be on the backfoot for large parts of the game because our current midfield isn't one that can dominate a game against Chelsea's. But I think that suits us; we seem to play better when adopting a hit & run style.
Worried about Ramires, to be honest, which is why I hope Enrique starts at left back, rather than Agger, who should partner Skrtel at CB. We seem to struggle against pacy players/wingers, so he will have to be at the top of his game. Does anyone think there's a chance of Bellamy, Suarez and Carroll playing up top, Bellars from the left and Suarez from the right?
Reply 8109
Home kit will be revealed next Friday. Don't think it'll be too much different
Reply 8110

First trailer of that documentary thing
Reply 8111
Original post by checkolad
This. I think we'll both be disappointed :frown:

Yes I saw Kenny praising Carroll as if he was Messi, after his effort against fulham. I just hope the same Carroll turns up on the day, because he could give us a performance like against Newcastle again. :frown:
Original post by kuks

First trailer of that documentary thing

Expected more Gerrard action + Less Carroll tbh. Only a trailer, but it will influence how many people are influenced to watch it
Reply 8113
Original post by mr tim
Home kit will be revealed next Friday. Don't think it'll be too much different

We've got a new kit maker, and going back to the liverbird badge. Red collared shirt with gold trim.
Reply 8114
Am I the only one who is hoping for Suarez and Carroll both to start? Their partnership has been improving but still hasn't fully blossomed. They need more game time together.

Also - just a thought - when Bellars and Downing are both on the pitch, why do they swap wings so they both cut in... especially when Carroll's on the pitch. Not enough crosses are put into Carroll.
Original post by ArjanK

Also - just a thought - when Bellars and Downing are both on the pitch, why do they swap wings so they both cut in... especially when Carroll's on the pitch. Not enough crosses are put into Carroll.

It's Kenny's idea of tactical innovation.
Original post by ArjanK

Happens with most teams nowadays, the idea is that the wingers play more as inside forwards, adding to the attacking options in the middle of the pitch and creating space for the full backs to run into and deliver crosses. Arjen Robben is brilliant at it, and Downing and Ashley Young were very effective doing it last season for Villa too. Downing played most of his games on the right hand side last season anyway so it's not like Kenny's doing something no one else has ever done!
Liverpool fans i have a question for you.
Next year would you rather win the carling cup and fa cup or Finnish in the top 4 to make the champions league.
Reply 8118
Hello Liverpool.
I really don't like your club, most of your players and the attitude your fans.

HOWEVER.

Please,please tear Chelsea a new one tonight.

Thank you.
Serious question where do you realistically expect yourselves to be next season? I mean in terms of signings and also league position.