The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust Summer School 2012

Scroll to see replies

Anyone going from London on the 22nd-26th (Cambridge)?
Original post by Natalie21
Because its a joke with people on this forum. Obviously the person who made it up for me thought it was funny..

Absolutely hilarious.

I also like how you've told us the exam boards that you're on for all of your subjects. T'is much appreciated.

Good day.
Original post by Davsters
Absolutely hilarious.

I also like how you've told us the exam boards that you're on for all of your subjects. T'is much appreciated.

Good day.

Well unsurprisingly I didn't write it to please your sense of humour.

Well I had had enough of people always asking what exam boards I was with.

Bye.
Reply 1163
Original post by Roshniroxy
I was told today that the selection process was completely random which really dis-heartnened me, making me feel that I've fluked my way into the summer school. Is that true ??

The easter course I done at Cambridge was apparently so over subscribed they done it randomly, I was just happy to get a place.

Not sure if the summer school was the same, but if so I wouldn't be to disheartened as you got a place, which some people would die for! It doesn't seem logical to pick randomly but then it doesn't seem pratical to go through every single of the 1000 odd applications.

I know on my application it didn't require any sort of 'Why I deserve a place' paragraph so it would make sense if they picked almost randomly. But when I say randomly I mean if there was 100 places they'd pick 50 who met all 6 criteria, 20 who met 5, 10 who met 4..etc etc.

Whatever the case is, its a great chance to have so just be grateful!
I was told today that the selection process was completely random which really dis-heartnened me, making me feel that I've fluked my way into the summer school. Is that true ??

I would be very wary and alarmed if the whole process was random. I've heard and read that the selection criteria is very strict. Understandably, there is a lot of emphasis about socioeconomic factors; which in all fairness, is one of the mantra's of the Sutton Trust.

Everyone who has got a place in this amazing opportunity deserves it, and commiserations to those who did not get in. :smile:
Original post by Snarafe
Ah, Good luck! I talked mostly about Media, Sports and Music because my nominated topic was families. If you completely lose track, just start talking about your favourite things or quoting lyrics ect - That was my back-up plan :biggrin: Are you doing AQA board? It wasn't too bad in the end but It's definitely got to be one of the most terrifying exams beforehand :unsure: Child language seems really cool, do you have to interpret sentence structure and stuff? Luckily both books I'm studying are relatively short, I'm so relieved my school didn't want us to study Charles Dickens!

Thanks! So very nervous. I've nominated 'Music' 'cause I thought that was a hard topic (can also quote Wise Guys etc), and I'm hoping to get Media for the card. Therefore, my plan is to leave the rest of the conversation to Relationships and Healthy Living/Lifestyle. I'll have to list all the things I could say that will fill it out :smile: Thank goodness next year is similar speaking-wise!
Yes, that sort of thing-we get a bit of transcript from child speech and have to comment and define on 5 features we find 'interesting'. Then the essay is something along the lines of 'How far do you agree that children learn language from their surroundings?', so we have to debate the whole innateness/imitation argument.
Hahaha, that would be so much to remember!
Reply 1166
The allocation process is definitely not random - it's based entirely on the criteria listed on the Sutton trust website, and then academic criteria if too many people meet all of the criteria in one subject.
Original post by 06aclark
The easter course I done at Cambridge was apparently so over subscribed they done it randomly, I was just happy to get a place.

Not sure if the summer school was the same, but if so I wouldn't be to disheartened as you got a place, which some people would die for! It doesn't seem logical to pick randomly but then it doesn't seem pratical to go through every single of the 1000 odd applications.

I know on my application it didn't require any sort of 'Why I deserve a place' paragraph so it would make sense if they picked almost randomly. But when I say randomly I mean if there was 100 places they'd pick 50 who met all 6 criteria, 20 who met 5, 10 who met 4..etc etc.

Whatever the case is, its a great chance to have so just be grateful!

Oh I am grateful, but when a few people told me that it just felt as if I hadn't earned it or anything.
Original post by abzy1234
I would be very wary and alarmed if the whole process was random. I've heard and read that the selection criteria is very strict. Understandably, there is a lot of emphasis about socioeconomic factors; which in all fairness, is one of the mantra's of the Sutton Trust.

Everyone who has got a place in this amazing opportunity deserves it, and commiserations to those who did not get in. :smile:

I suppose so. Did you get a place ?
Reply 1169
Original post by ummm
Hey! Cool! I got into biology with chemistry. :smile: And yeah, I'm staying in Common Lane House too! I'm a bit worried though because the dates clash with the Cambridge and UCL open days.... :s-smilie:

Yeah, I wanted to go and check out UCL on the open day... but I suppose there'll be other opportunities! I may decide against applying- I'm going up on the 13th June to Kings, which should be good :smile:
I suppose so. Did you get a place ?

Yes thankfully, Chemistry. Wbu? :smile:
Original post by insomniacramblings
Anyone going from London on the 22nd-26th (Cambridge)?

I'll be going through London :smile:
Original post by abzy1234
Yes thankfully, Chemistry. Wbu? :smile:

Law :smile:
Law :smile:

Well done :smile:
Reply 1174
anyone travelling from wales by any chance on the 13th-17th ? :smile:
Will anybody be staying at Churchill by any chance?
Original post by suicidaloverbusiness

I will :smile:
Original post by insomniacramblings
I will :smile:

Ooh, why hello there insomniacramblings. Which course will you be doing, i'm on the Economics course. :smile:
Ooh, why hello there insomniacramblings. Which course will you be doing, i'm on the Economics course. :smile:

Churchill, economics too :P

I am :biggrin: I'm doing History, where do you come from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending