Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by jesuisbelle88
Thank you for your reply.

Could you please explain the 'apply on your own' bit?

Thanks again

By that, I mean if you organise a "year abroad study" programme as a result of your own application to that institution (perhaps on a scheme they offer to open application).
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by University of Warwick
By that, I mean if you organise a "year abroad study" programme as a result of your own application to that institution (perhaps on a scheme they offer to open application).

Have any previous Warwick studemts managed to gain a place at these unis in this way?
May I also ask, which accommodation hall would you consider closest to the social science building?

Thanks
Reply 423
Have any previous Warwick studemts managed to gain a place at these unis in this way?

Not as far as I know, but I also don't know whether any have actually tried.

All halls of residence, aside from Westwood, are between a 5 and 10 minute walk from the social sciences building. However, lectures and seminars are not guaranteed (and, for large core modules, not likely) to always be held in that building.
Not as far as I know, but I also don't know whether any have actually tried.

All halls of residence, aside from Westwood, are between a 5 and 10 minute walk from the social sciences building. However, lectures and seminars are not guaranteed (and, for large core modules, not likely) to always be held in that building.

Thanks once again for your reply and I'm sorry for asking so many questions.

I am sensitive to sunlight, so I need a place from where I have to walk minimum. Could you please tell me in which other buildings are there chances of my classes to be held.

As for the SS Building, some have suggested Whitefields while an officer from the disability department told me that Clayfroft is ideal. What is your opinion?

Thanks again
Reply 425
Thanks once again for your reply and I'm sorry for asking so many questions.

I am sensitive to sunlight, so I need a place from where I have to walk minimum. Could you please tell me in which other buildings are there chances of my classes to be held.

As for the SS Building, some have suggested Whitefields while an officer from the disability department told me that Clayfroft is ideal. What is your opinion?

Thanks again

Lectures and seminars are typically held in any of the main buildings on central campus. These include the maths department, science block, engineering, ramphal building, arts centre, humanities and social sciences. It will also depend on which options you choose.

I would suggest there are very small differences in exposure to daylight whilst walking from any of the central campus residences. I agree Whitefields is the closest, and has the benefit of being closest to the Union, but Claycroft is closest to the major supermarket (Tesco) at Cannon Park.
Reply 426
but Claycroft is closest to the major supermarket (Tesco) at Cannon Park.

And there's costcutter right next door to Whitefields as well.
Original post by ttoby
And there's costcutter right next door to Whitefields as well.

How about Tocil?
Reply 428
How about Tocil?

I would estimate that you can get from Tocil to Tesco in around 10 minutes, and from Tocil to Costcutter in 3-4 minutes. You can get from Tocil to social sciences and other places where you're likely to have lectures in around 4-7 minutes, although i don't often go round that part of campus myself so I can't be exact.

By way of contrast, Claycroft is about 5 mins from Tesco, 6 mins from Costcutter, and 3-8 minutes from various lecture buildings.

Whitefields would be 1min from Costcutter, 13 mins from Tesco, and around 3 mins from social sciences of which 2 mins of that journey would be indoors. To get to other lecture buildings you would want to allow 5-7 minutes.

Bear in mind that all of these timings are estimates and they'll depend on your walking speed and on where abouts in each building you're going from/to. You'll probably be able to ask to be put in a room in your halls that's closest to campus and Tesco. But really it's all a bit of a trade-off between the distances to various locations. When you're outdoors, a lot of the journey will be in direct sunlight although there are several trees around campus so there will be shade as well. When you're near tall buildings then you'll get some shade there as well.
Original post by ttoby
I would estimate that you can get from Tocil to Tesco in around 10 minutes, and from Tocil to Costcutter in 3-4 minutes. You can get from Tocil to social sciences and other places where you're likely to have lectures in around 4-7 minutes, although i don't often go round that part of campus myself so I can't be exact.

By way of contrast, Claycroft is about 5 mins from Tesco, 6 mins from Costcutter, and 3-8 minutes from various lecture buildings.

Whitefields would be 1min from Costcutter, 13 mins from Tesco, and around 3 mins from social sciences of which 2 mins of that journey would be indoors. To get to other lecture buildings you would want to allow 5-7 minutes.

Bear in mind that all of these timings are estimates and they'll depend on your walking speed and on where abouts in each building you're going from/to. You'll probably be able to ask to be put in a room in your halls that's closest to campus and Tesco. But really it's all a bit of a trade-off between the distances to various locations. When you're outdoors, a lot of the journey will be in direct sunlight although there are several trees around campus so there will be shade as well. When you're near tall buildings then you'll get some shade there as well.

Wow! Thank you so much for all that info.

I plan to do a majority of Math subjects. Which would you recommend in this case? I'm not good at reading maps so could you also tell me where are most of the restaurants/cafes and malls?

Thanks again
Reply 430
Wow! Thank you so much for all that info.

I plan to do a majority of Math subjects. Which would you recommend in this case? I'm not good at reading maps so could you also tell me where are most of the restaurants/cafes and malls?

Thanks again

Looking at one of the current economics timetables, it doesn't seem to make much difference what type of modules you do. They all still seem to be dotted around campus in social sciences, maths building and ramphal and other buildings around there. Also I don't know if all the rooms will be swapped around next year so it's hard to really predict where you would be going most often.

Basically, if you look at a map and find library road and the maths building (sometimes called zeeman building) then all your lectures will be around there, and it will always take longer to get to some places compared to others.

There are lots of places to eat in the students union, as well as a cafe in the library and in social sciences. 'cannon park' is the nearby shopping mall which contains Tesco, boots, Wilkinson and some other places where you can get food. It's kind of hard to say where they are without using a map.
Original post by ttoby
Looking at one of the current economics timetables, it doesn't seem to make much difference what type of modules you do. They all still seem to be dotted around campus in social sciences, maths building and ramphal and other buildings around there. Also I don't know if all the rooms will be swapped around next year so it's hard to really predict where you would be going most often.

Basically, if you look at a map and find library road and the maths building (sometimes called zeeman building) then all your lectures will be around there, and it will always take longer to get to some places compared to others.

There are lots of places to eat in the students union, as well as a cafe in the library and in social sciences. 'cannon park' is the nearby shopping mall which contains Tesco, boots, Wilkinson and some other places where you can get food. It's kind of hard to say where they are without using a map.

Thanks a lot. I think I might put Tocil as my first choice, since it seems to be in between and nothing is too far from it.

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 432
Original post by darknessy
Hi

I understand that it was previously mentioned that GCSE were not EXTREMELY important in the application into Warwick University, however will taking new GCSE subjects help in my case?

I am an international student with pretty decent A level equivalents. However, due to certain reasons, the school i took GCSE at only allowed me to take a max of 6 GCSEs. I got a A* in Maths and AdditionalMaths and a B in Eng. The rest are A*BB. This totals up to 3A*and 3B. I will be working for a year to ensure that i can pay for my school fees and was wondering if taking 2 EXTRA (NEW, NOT RESIT) GCSE levels subjects will help in my application? I believe this will bring me up to 5A* and 3B. Will this increase my chances, if any at all? ( I am interested in AnF )

Thanks!

Hi,
as you will be applying for Accounting and Finance, and this is hosted by WBS, and not the Department of Economics, I don't want to give you incorrect information as it may only relate to our courses. Generally, I would advise mentioning such a situation in a personal statement, and then contacting WBS directly to get their opinion
Reply 433
Hi, I'm in year 12 studying AS levels in: economics, history, politics and maths. I'm predicted A*AAB if I continue with all S in A2. Regarding offers, would the A* have to be in economics? Would dropping economics in AS completely rule me out of an offer if I get an A in just the AS?
Thank you for your time.
Reply 434
Hi, I have an unconditional offer for L100 Economics at Warwick. However, I'm planning to switch to LV00 Politics, Philosophy, Economics (PPE). Do I have to re-apply for the 2013 cycle via UCAS, or could I simply pen the department an email regarding my decision? I understand that the 2012 cycle is closed already, so I will probably do so in the early cycle for 2013 application.
I'm an international student by the way, thank you so much for your time!
Reply 435
Original post by darknessy
Hi

I have emailed the WBS as recommended, however would taking additional GCSE's now after my A's increase my chances of entering Economics?, Assuming i do not mention it in my PS

Hi,
In the sense that taking more GCSE's, and getting strong results in them, in indicative of a stronger academic ability, then yes. However, it would likely be noted that they were not taken at the same time as your earlier exams.
Reply 436
Original post by Ecolove
Hi, I'm in year 12 studying AS levels in: economics, history, politics and maths. I'm predicted A*AAB if I continue with all S in A2. Regarding offers, would the A* have to be in economics? Would dropping economics in AS completely rule me out of an offer if I get an A in just the AS?
Thank you for your time.

Hi,
no, the A* can be attained in any subject. We simply require a minimum of a Grade A in Maths.

Dropping Economics would not rule you out of getting an offer per se, but, as an admissions officer, I would be wondering why someone intent on studying and passionate about Economics at University decided to drop it at an earlier level.
Reply 437
Original post by losersam
Hi, I have an unconditional offer for L100 Economics at Warwick. However, I'm planning to switch to LV00 Politics, Philosophy, Economics (PPE). Do I have to re-apply for the 2013 cycle via UCAS, or could I simply pen the department an email regarding my decision? I understand that the 2012 cycle is closed already, so I will probably do so in the early cycle for 2013 application.
I'm an international student by the way, thank you so much for your time!

Hi,
yes, you would need to reapply for the 2013 cycle.

I would bear in mind that, due to the interdisciplinary nature of PPE, applications are not assessed on the same criteria as those degrees administered (at an admissions level) by Economics. Thus, receiving an offer for one would not guarantee that you would receive an offer for the other.
Do you guys think there would be any point applying to Warwick with these grades as one of my choices as I would like to go into IB in the future and I am trying to nail down target universities.

My GCSE grades are; *didn't work hard at all*
5 A's 2 B's and 3 C's

*Predicted but most likely*
A - levels;
Economics A*
Maths A*
Physics A*
English lit A*
Rs (As - level) A (done)

Also I was wondering should I do AS further maths as well?
Reply 439
Is there any chance of transferring from accounting and finance to economics if i have the grades, before the start of the academic year?

Quick Reply

Latest