The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1100
Original post by Eat.Sleep.Row.Repeat.
Just got back from an absolutely amazing two week rowing tour in America. Rowed with Thomas Jefferson high School in Washington, Cincinatti Jnrs (My coach started that club up years ago) and then Gonzaga high school in washington. Great trip, traded some nice kit.

Got me a Potomac all-in-one! usnationalsclubwhat?

Envious.
Reply 1101
Pics?
Original post by SimonM
Envious.

Haha, what more could you ask for? 13 days of two sessions per day training, with lots of food, sun and friends! I feel a lot stronger too, I went to do a 2k one of the nights at like 9pm, when i'd eaten badly and had little sleep and had done 2 2ks the day before in the boat, and was on for a PB until the last 400m. I was't even that tired but for some reason stopped :/ Was on for 6:53!

Also, Potomac lycra is sick.
Reply 1103
Original post by Eat.Sleep.Row.Repeat.
Haha, what more could you ask for? 13 days of two sessions per day training, with lots of food, sun and friends! I feel a lot stronger too, I went to do a 2k one of the nights at like 9pm, when i'd eaten badly and had little sleep and had done 2 2ks the day before in the boat, and was on for a PB until the last 400m. I was't even that tired but for some reason stopped :/ Was on for 6:53!

Also, Potomac lycra is sick.

If the weather is nice when I get back to Cambridge that's what I'm planning for the next two weeks. (Minus the food - not sure how far away I am from making weight at the moment, but it could be quite a distance).
Hi there,

I'm very interested in taking up rowing at university and was wondering if anyone could give me an insight into the training they do in a typical week? Thanks in advance : )
Original post by IQ Test
Hi there,

I'm very interested in taking up rowing at university and was wondering if anyone could give me an insight into the training they do in a typical week? Thanks in advance : )

It will, to some extent, depend on the university you go to, but as a rough guide, here goes. Firstly, it will taper up through the year, as you get closer to head races and then regattas.

Before Christmas, you're looking at water training 2-3 times a week (normally weds afternoons, sat and/or sun), circuit training (1 hr) twice a week, and some stuff alone in the gym / general cardio (running / cycling, which can be integrated into your trips to the boathouse) a few times a week.

That will taper up, and by the time you get to regatta season (summer), you can find yourself on the water up to 6-7 times a week (some days will have two outings). However, these extra outings usually take place before uni (yep, you'll be back in time for a 9am) and sometimes after uni too. That's not to scare you - that intensity of training only really lasts between Easter and summer (8 weeks ish), and although it sounds moderately brutal now, it's not that bad once you get there!

You'll also travel away several times a year for races, and you may have a foreign training camp at Easter (non-compulsory, and France seems to be quite a popular destination)

It's entirely possible to manage balancing a degree and rowing, if you're good at time management, but I don't know many people who manage that and another sport! Best thing to do is to go along and have a chat to the people from the boat club at freshers fair, and they'll be able to give you a fair idea.
So who's going to BUCS
Reply 1107
Original post by partoftheweekend
So who's going to BUCS

Me. What are you entering as?
Original post by SimonM
Me. What are you entering as?

Doing an 8,4,2. So a long weekend...

You just doing the 8? Saw your heat. Should be a good one!
Reply 1109
Original post by partoftheweekend
Doing an 8,4,2. So a long weekend...

You just doing the 8? Saw your heat. Should be a good one!

Yeah. We've struggled quite a bit with exams and injuries so my pair and 4 fell through
Original post by IQ Test
Hi there,

I only rowed up till xmas because of injuries, but my typical week was:
Monday: Erging
Tuesday: Circuits
Wednesday: Water outing
Thursday: Core Circuits
Friday: Erging time piece
Weekend: Water outings

Where are you going to uni?
Reply 1111
Just wondering what an average 2k time would be for a first year... for 8 generally, for a uni with a decent rowing rep.
Reply 1112
Original post by ah.meh
Just wondering what an average 2k time would be for a first year... for 8 generally, for a uni with a decent rowing rep.

Are we talking about a first year novice or someone competitive for a crew?
Reply 1113
Original post by SimonM
Are we talking about a first year novice or someone competitive for a crew?

I'd want to be in a competitive crew, cheers.
Reply 1114
Original post by ah.meh
I'd want to be in a competitive crew, cheers.

I'd guess somewhere between 6:10 and 6:25 depending on your weight and technical proficiency.
Original post by Origami Bullets
It will, to some extent, depend on the university you go to, but as a rough guide, here goes. Firstly, it will taper up through the year, as you get closer to head races and then regattas.

Before Christmas, you're looking at water training 2-3 times a week (normally weds afternoons, sat and/or sun), circuit training (1 hr) twice a week, and some stuff alone in the gym / general cardio (running / cycling, which can be integrated into your trips to the boathouse) a few times a week.

That will taper up, and by the time you get to regatta season (summer), you can find yourself on the water up to 6-7 times a week (some days will have two outings). However, these extra outings usually take place before uni (yep, you'll be back in time for a 9am) and sometimes after uni too. That's not to scare you - that intensity of training only really lasts between Easter and summer (8 weeks ish), and although it sounds moderately brutal now, it's not that bad once you get there!

You'll also travel away several times a year for races, and you may have a foreign training camp at Easter (non-compulsory, and France seems to be quite a popular destination)

It's entirely possible to manage balancing a degree and rowing, if you're good at time management, but I don't know many people who manage that and another sport! Best thing to do is to go along and have a chat to the people from the boat club at freshers fair, and they'll be able to give you a fair idea.

That sounds good to me, thank you! I get up early to run anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem: I think the structure/ discipline would actually help me to be more organised.
Original post by Witty Username
I only rowed up till xmas because of injuries, but my typical week was:
Monday: Erging
Tuesday: Circuits
Wednesday: Water outing
Thursday: Core Circuits
Friday: Erging time piece
Weekend: Water outings

Where are you going to uni?

Thanks, that sounds good to me; what time are the water outings usually, as in when do you get up and when do you need to be there by? I get up at 5AM to run twice a week at the moment, so I thought the early starts of rowing would suit my sleep patterns well : )

I'm in lower sixth at the moment so I don't know where I'm going, but if I were to apply today it'd be Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle and Glasgow.
Original post by IQ Test
Thanks, that sounds good to me; what time are the water outings usually, as in when do you get up and when do you need to be there by? I get up at 5AM to run twice a week at the moment, so I thought the early starts of rowing would suit my sleep patterns well : )

I'm in lower sixth at the moment so I don't know where I'm going, but if I were to apply today it'd be Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle and Glasgow.

Water outings can start from 6.15am here (summer only), although you need to factor in time to get to the boathouse (half an hour or so).

Not that you should be choosing a uni based on rowing alone, but Newcastle is incredible for rowing. I believe they have an ex-GB coach.
Original post by Origami Bullets
Water outings can start from 6.15am here (summer only), although you need to factor in time to get to the boathouse (half an hour or so).

Not that you should be choosing a uni based on rowing alone, but Newcastle is incredible for rowing. I believe they have an ex-GB coach.
I'd heard it's good for rowing actually, along with Durham, Bristol and obviously Oxbridge.

I'm not choosing it based solely on rowing (obviously!) but I did actually check that all the places I'm considering have boat clubs :biggrin:
Reply 1119
Original post by IQ Test
I'd heard it's good for rowing actually, along with Durham, Bristol and obviously Oxbridge.

I'm not choosing it based solely on rowing (obviously!) but I did actually check that all the places I'm considering have boat clubs :biggrin:

I don't think you can really include Bristol in that list. Top rowing universities are essentially:

Oxbridge, UoL, IC, Newcastle, Durham, Brookes in no particular order.

Quick Reply

Latest