The Student Room Group

Volunteering abroad is condenscending and patronising to other races

Scroll to see replies

I agree with this, the money would be better spent sending people who can actually do the job (e.g medical experts) over to those places, or training people in the area on doing the jobs. And sending over the money it cost a person to GET there would do a lot of good.

I don't think it's all being patronising though. People go out there with genuinely good intentions, they just haven't thought about it properly, sometimes (not all the time)

they'd do better volunteering with local disabled kids/in a homeless shelter, and sending the money if they can spare it.

Strangely enough, doing local volunteer work seems less rather than more respected, especially within the social circle you're talking about
Reply 21
I agree with the OP.

It's probably ineffectual, distorts the local labour market and is motivated by ego's. Fair enough if you're teaching english or working as a medic...

Another thing is when people do leisurely and exciting activities for charity and get it paid for them e.g. Prince Harry and Wills motorbiked across South African terrain 'for charity' (is this every male's dream). Also Plenty of people skydive 'for charity'. Fair enough if you're making a sacrifice like running a marathon but some of these things cross a line.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
The volunteering is welcomed because there is no money in these places to pay people to do the work that the volunteers do. And frankly, some places need all the help they can get.
The OP obviously wants to be controversial but I know where he's coming from, he is referring to students I expect.

There are lots of western people doing things like VSO and there's a big difference between the people doing it that are in their late 20s or older and are experienced professionals, doctors, teachers, engineers, etc, they can make an actual difference and they are usually making a huge sacrifice in terms of the earnings they are foregoing in the west.

When it's students it's usually a case really of doing an adventure style activity for a kind of holiday. It is not all a waste, they usually bring in money to a particular project because they do fundraising before they go so if you get a group of 30 students each raising £300-500 in sponsorship before they come then that's far more effective at bringing in money than getting charity muggers on the street to ask loads of people to sign up to £3 a month direct debit. The funds the students raise will do a lot more than the students actually do while they are there, they are just basically free labour doing low skilled work, a bit like having interns on work experience. What probably grates for the OP is that some of them overrate their own contribution and fill their facebook with pictures of them with African kids to try to make them look like some saintly do-gooder, it does come over as patronising, but they aren't doing any real harm if they make themselves look like tools, as I say they have probably paid/fundraised a fair whack for the privilege. And also it opens their eyes to how people live in different countries and have to rough it a bit, which is a good thing, it's different from just going round hostels in Australia and New Zealand getting bladdered like an 18-30s holiday.

I suspect that really what gets a lot of peoples backs up about these volunteers, is that they are generally kids from well off backgrounds. More generally the whole international development industry suffers from that image problem...it is super competitive to break into and you need to have a lot of unpaid voluntary experience abroad to get a foot in. Development consultancies are full of young women called Poppy and Tabatha with plummy accents that went to Cambridge and did at least 2 gap yahs and spent their summer holidays being subsidised by their parents to do volunteering in Africa and Latin America. These Poppys and Tabathas will be intelligent and super hard working and driven, so I can't knock them, but they do give the image that Brits working in the developing world are invariably of the upper social classes.
Zeffy is more of a failtroll than Otkem
Reply 25
Original post by Retrodiction
Surely this should be down to the people living in these communities? All the people I know who have done this sort of thing (not all white, either) got the strong impression that the members of the communities were very appreciative of the assistance & extra help they were getting from the volunteers. Who are you to say that these volunteers shouldn't be doing what they're doing when their work is appreciated?

Those directly benefiting are grateful. But what about the out of work labourers whose work is being taken away from them by uppity college kids doing it for free?

Their work may be appreciated by the kids who get to play some football with a westerner or the man who has his hut built. But like I said, the time and money would be better spent providing training for local workers to carry out the work volunteers do and, supplies so local teachers and local medics can better care for their people without relying on arrogant volunteers.

Original post by cl_steele
because youre not correct ?:s-smilie:
all your points are simply complete tosh from someone who obviously has a very large chip on their shoulder and a very ignorant one at that...
what makes you think that everyone who goes out to these countries to HELP is an 'unqualified schmuck' throw some statistics for this i dare you.
theyre hardly stealing the jobs there anyway as these people arent exactly paid to go drill a well or build a school? they have no money thats the bloody point, these people are going out there to give them free help and put money into the local economy theyre not there to thumb their noses at them.
infact what possible position are you in to comment on this issue youre nothing but a smug little boy sitting behind a computer arguing about how people in some of the poorest regions of the world [which you couldnt possibly in a million years empathise with] so how in any way is it condecending or patronising to go over and give these people a helping hand. when youre living in total poverty and NO ONE helps you i bet youll be singing a different tune then. hypocrite.

Like I mentioned, I have volunteered abroad in Cameroon and came to the logical conclusion that I wasn't doing anythign worthwhile at all and that I was there for me, not for the locals. The money I spent going over there with flights, paying the organisation etc would have been better spent providing tools and medical equipment for the locals.

And I agree. I can not emphasise with them but then again, I'm not trying too. Unlike many middle-class idiots who think because they spent two weeks painting a wall and playing football with children they can understand what they are going through.

You also completely missed my point. The students are not going there to help, most are going for their own benefit and own experience. If they wanted to truly help people, why not volunteer at their local homeless shelter or hospital?

It's simple, because the recognition they get for that isn't as good and the experience isn't as good as going abroad to volunteer.

Original post by A Mysterious Lord
No. Volunteering abroad is something middle class people do to either delay university (and subsequently their working lives) by another year OR to delay paying back their student loans after graduating*.

*Don't say this isn't the case; I know of at least 10 people who have either gone volunteering or gone on an extended working holiday so they can say to the Student Loans company they'd be out of the country to delay paying it back.

I agree. This is a reason for it.

Original post by NR09
The volunteering is welcomed because there is no money in these places to pay people to do the work that the volunteers do. And frankly, some places need all the help they can get.

Wow, way to be condenscending.

So, according to you, basically countries in Africa and other poor places need the help of white westerners to survive?

That's very arrogant of you. Honestly, people like you are no better than racists. What is worse, wanting a race of people to live in their own land living by their own work and produce, or believing said race living in their own land can not survive without your help?

I say the second one. It's condenscending and racist yet the idiots who volunteer refuse to realise how patronising and insulting it comes across, this deep rooted belief that other races need the help of arrogant, middle class white students.

Again, I volunteered before and felt the same way, until I realise I wasn't helping and that if left too it, these "poor", "uneducated", "underpriveledged" countries could do just fine without idiot volunteers going over there to "help".

Tell me, how would you feel if someone described you as uneducated, poor and underprivedged? Insulting words aren't they, yet that's exactly what all the volunteers think of the people they go to "help".

It's pure arrogance and selfish.
It's not necessarily even of benefit to those they go off to help.
Reply 27
Original post by Zeffy
No it's not. I am intelligent. I am enlightened. In fact, I'd go so far to say I'm one of the most intelligent posters here.

I, unlike most of the braindead, clueless sheep such as yourself have the mental ability to make my own decisions in life rather than following the crowd and doing what everybody else does. As proven by the fact that nobody has an intelligent argument against my point that volunteering is condenscending and insulting to other races and, that the white, middle-class volunteers who go on the projects have a deep-seated sense of superiority that I, as an enlightened individual, do not have.

You know, for someone who claims to be so intelligent, you're awfully ignorant to the facts that:

1. Just because a large number of people agree that something is good, it does not make the opposite an intelligent and original stance to take; it just makes you a wannabe hipster, doing anything to go against any convention, even when it is a good one.

2. Very few volunteers go to these places bearing in mind that they are superior to those who are trained and native. They are simply filling a much needed support position which those areas desperately need, because no one living in poverty will work for free. And yes, it is something that makes the volunteer feel good, but they are also doing good, so this circles back again to your prejudice being born out of spite.

Considering you're so highly intelligent, why are you wasting your time on TSR? Go write a book, start a political party, cure cancer, just gtfo and stop insulting people who don't deserve it.
Reply 28
Original post by Deema
You know, for someone who claims to be so intelligent, you're awfully ignorant to the facts that:

1. Just because a large number of people agree that something is good, it does not make the opposite an intelligent and original stance to take; it just makes you a wannabe hipster, doing anything to go against any convention, even when it is a good one.

2. Very few volunteers go to these places bearing in mind that they are superior to those who are trained and native. They are simply filling a much needed support position which those areas desperately need, because no one living in poverty will work for free. And yes, it is something that makes the volunteer feel good, but they are also doing good, so this circles back again to your prejudice being born out of spite.

Considering you're so highly intelligent, why are you wasting your time on TSR? Go write a book, start a political party, cure cancer, just gtfo and stop insulting people who don't deserve it.

1) But it isn't good, I've proved that. Do you really not agree that it wouldn't be better for the African countries to be self-standing rather than relying on volunteers from abroad. Would it not be better for African labourers to make a living building rather than having a college kid do it for free? Or wouldn't it be better to, instead of an unqualified schmuck paying good money to go over to paint a wall to instead use the money to provide needed medical equipment and tools for the locals to use?

2) The postion isn't needed and most of them do believe they are superior. Even if they don't admit it they have an arrogant belief that African, Asian and South American countries need their help. That is arrogant and insulting. You only have to look at the words used by the volunteer types to describe the people they are "helping" to see that this is the case.
Reply 29
Original post by Zeffy

So, according to you, basically countries in Africa and other poor places need the help of white westerners to survive?

That's very arrogant of you. Honestly, people like you are no better than racists. What is worse, wanting a race of people to live in their own land living by their own work and produce, or believing said race living in their own land can not survive without your help?

I say the second one. It's condenscending and racist yet the idiots who volunteer refuse to realise how patronising and insulting it comes across, this deep rooted belief that other races need the help of arrogant, middle class white students.

Again, I volunteered before and felt the same way, until I realise I wasn't helping and that if left too it, these "poor", "uneducated", "underpriveledged" countries could do just fine without idiot volunteers going over there to "help".

Tell me, how would you feel if someone described you as uneducated, poor and underprivedged? Insulting words aren't they, yet that's exactly what all the volunteers think of the people they go to "help".

No, I think particular areas in some countries need ANYONE'S help, wether it comes from a rich, black American to a middle class Chinese person.

Some people in some areas are not able to survive by themselves because of disease, lack of food/ water etc. volunteers working for charities provide these thing which SAVES LIVES.

You do know that it's not only white middle class students who do volunteer work don't you?

You keep saying that these people would do fine if not for all these volunteers. How many adverts for Oxfam/WaterAid/TheRedCross/Children in Need etc do you need to see to realise that people need help?

These people are poor, they are underprivileged and if they have not been to school then yes, they are uneducated. But if any of these things can be even slightly reversed by ANYBODY then that is a positive thing.

Schools where there is only one teacher for every 100 kids need help. Hospitals/disease clinics where there is only one doctor for every 500 people need help from ANYBODY that can provide help.
Reply 30
Original post by Zeffy

Nothing in this comment was said about race, or white people going to help in Africa. You are trying to turn the words around to make an invalid point. It's not just "western white people" going to help other in less privileged countries, it's about others going to give help to people who need help regardless of race or nationality. If a country or community really needs help, why should it be branded 'condescending' to do so? How is it patronising to give medical assistance or build shelter for the ill or homeless?

And these people obviously realise that they are uneducated, poor and underprivileged and that's why they accept the help, to try and up their quality of life.

I realise that some people do it for selfish reasons, but if this is benefiting those who need some extra help, why not just accept it? Surely if you had no money, medicine or shelter you would appreciate the fact that someone cared enough to come and help you? For someone who obviously hates condescension, you really are quite condescending and hypocritical to people who volunteer, a beautiful quality in an 'intelligent, enlightened individual'.
Original post by Arekkusu
You are completely right! Obviously it might be a bit different volunteering long term but popping over for a few weeks and painting a wall, it's a wonder they don't kill you in your sleep. And I've been on one of these things so think before you neg

I think you've been reading my signature. Why do you care about virtual reputation?

In response to the OP:

I don't believe you can judge without knowing - such actions aren't indicative of 'intelligence' and 'enlightenment'. Surely, if an individual puts a lot of effort in they are assisting? I agree that some people will go over for the kudos and the ego boost, but they're easy to spot. What about those who don't go to the clichéd locations? I know it's hard to believe, especially in our poor excuse of a society, but some actually want to help.
Original post by Deema

While I largely agree with the sentiment of the OP I also disliked the tone. I think it absurd for him to presume that most western volunteers consider themselves superior to the people they are trying to help. However:

You seem to believe that the OP is alone in his opposition to unqualified westerners going to developing countries to do short-term volunteering. It's hardly 'hipsterism' to have this attitude- there is a growing backlash against this kind of 'voluntourism' both in the UK and in the developing countries themselves. Numerous articles have been written about the detrimental social consequences of unqualified westerners 'teaching' abroad or 'helping' in orphanages for short periods, and it is widely acknowledged that unqualified English teachers are more of hindrance than a help. It is also widely known that short term volunteers in orphanages can create psychosocial issues for the children in their 'care' and (worse) their voluntourism has spawned an exploitative commercial 'orphanage trade' in certain countries (notably Cambodia). This is all common knowledge. It is troubling that the gap yah kids who volunteer rarely bother educating themselves about the possible negative consequences of their 'work'- volunteering is almost seen as a right for those with the cash to pay for it.

My view (and that of the development professionals I know) is that you should never have to pay for a volunteering position, and anything of less than 6 months is likely to have limited positive social impact.

Perhaps the OP's posting was made out of spite but it should hardly be a surprise to you that many people (including and especially Development professionals) are increasingly concerned by the growth of a largely unregulated for-profit voluntourism industry.

You also make the assumption that volunteer projects are 'desperately needed' which is quite a ridiculous generalisation to make. It always intrigues me for example to see English-teacher positions aimed at unqualified 18 year olds in places like Fiji- a middle-income country with English as an official (and widely spoken) language, which just so happens to have an excess of tropical beaches. Fiji has absolutely no need for foreign English 'teachers' as there is ample supply of local, qualified, trained teachers who speak the language fluently.

The fact is that unqualified volunteers are depriving local people of potential income, training and social status by performing low-skilled menial jobs which local people could easily do themselves. Even where (and I hate the generalisation that this is always the case) there is no money to pay for a particular project, usually payment for services can be made by bartering goods- westerners coming out to build/paint a wall disrupts community cohesion and contributes little.

I for one am mostly against voluntourism as it is largely an unethical practice that causes more harm than good- although of course this does depend on the individual, their skills, and the project/charity in question.

Similarly, someone mentioned people fundraising for what is essentially a fun and pleasurable activity- I fully agree. I would never sponsor someone to take part in what is essentially an adventure holiday, or to do anything fun or exciting like taking a skydive. And I certainly wouldn't ever have the gall to ask for money for these activities (whereas I did fundraise for a marathon, as that was a gruelling activity requiring intense training and committment.)
Original post by NR09
No, I think particular areas in some countries need ANYONE'S help, wether it comes from a rich, black American to a middle class Chinese person.

Some people in some areas are not able to survive by themselves because of disease, lack of food/ water etc. volunteers working for charities provide these thing which SAVES LIVES.

You do know that it's not only white middle class students who do volunteer work don't you?

You keep saying that these people would do fine if not for all these volunteers. How many adverts for Oxfam/WaterAid/TheRedCross/Children in Need etc do you need to see to realise that people need help?

These people are poor, they are underprivileged and if they have not been to school then yes, they are uneducated. But if any of these things can be even slightly reversed by ANYBODY then that is a positive thing.

Schools where there is only one teacher for every 100 kids need help. Hospitals/disease clinics where there is only one doctor for every 500 people need help from ANYBODY that can provide help.

I suspect you may be talking about a different situation here. The front-line, lifesaving work of charities such as Oxfam and the Red Cross in conflict zones and areas hit by famine is almost always conducted by trained, salaried, highly qualified professionals or trained, highly qualified professional volunteers (MSF for example). WaterAid, for example, might have a need for qualified experienced hydrological engineers. They are probably unlikely to require an 18 years old with A levels and no work experience, as that person will be a hindrance and has nothing to offer in terms of useful labour, skills or knowledge.

Unqualified gap year students are highly unlikely to end up working in Somali refugee camps or with starving people in Darfur. And the large, reputable charities do not send unqualified volunteers abroad as doing so is too much of a strain on their resources and they understand that these volunteers, while well-intentioned, cannot contribute anything worthwhile.

It is no coincidence that the vast majority of 2 week, expensive volunteer placements are in safe, beautiful, conflict free low to middle income countries (Ghana, Costa Rica, Cambodia etc.) and not in the dangerous, non tourist-friendly, unglamorous places where help (even if from relatively unqualified people) is needed more.
You worded it kind of poorly but I agree... people from my school went to Africa last year, and as far as I can tell they raised £1500 each to fly over there, paint a wall in a school, attempt to teach an English class with no experience, play football with some little kids and put on some traditional African clothes to take photos in. I know they did it with totally good intentions but I really, really can't see how that money wouldn't have been better spent just sending over school materials/medical supplies/helping to train people to be teachers etc instead of shipping a few middle class teenagers over for a fortnight. But hey ho
Reply 35
Original post by standreams
I suspect you may be talking about a different situation here. The front-line, lifesaving work of charities such as Oxfam and the Red Cross in conflict zones and areas hit by famine is almost always conducted by trained, salaried, highly qualified professionals or trained, highly qualified professional volunteers (MSF for example). WaterAid, for example, might have a need for qualified experienced hydrological engineers. They are probably unlikely to require an 18 years old with A levels and no work experience, as that person will be a hindrance and has nothing to offer in terms of useful labour, skills or knowledge.

Unqualified gap year students are highly unlikely to end up working in Somali refugee camps or with starving people in Darfur. And the large, reputable charities do not send unqualified volunteers abroad as doing so is too much of a strain on their resources and they understand that these volunteers, while well-intentioned, cannot contribute anything worthwhile.

It is no coincidence that the vast majority of 2 week, expensive volunteer placements are in safe, beautiful, conflict free low to middle income countries (Ghana, Costa Rica, Cambodia etc.) and not in the dangerous, non tourist-friendly, unglamorous places where help (even if from relatively unqualified people) is needed more.

I can only speak from what I've heard from others, but one of my friends is going on a gap year and is volunteering in an AIDS/HIV clinic in Malawi. Hardly Costa Rica is it?
Original post by NR09
I can only speak from what I've heard from others, but one of my friends is going on a gap year and is volunteering in an AIDS/HIV clinic in Malawi. Hardly Costa Rica is it?

Malawi is one of Africa's easiest, safest and most hospitable countries. There is a big backpacker travel circuit there- not on a par with Costa Rica, but a world away from the DR Congo, Chad, Niger, Burkina Faso, Mali, Sudan etc.

If the work your friend will be doing in the clinic is work which they are qualified to do, can do safely and efficiently without draining resources and time by requiring extensive training/supervision, and they are not depriving an appropriately qualified local of a job, then I thoroughly approve. Even if it isn't, then I will concede that it is more worthwhile than most volunteer placements (definitely less glamour than playing with baby elephants or tagging sea turtles).
Reply 37
If they want help and people are offering then fair enough, but I don't like the idea of simply volunteering because you feel as if you're better off than they are/because it makes you look like a morally helpful person.
Original post by zeffy
since it stems from the middle-class, white belief that other races are underpriveledge and incapable of looking after themselves without help from middle-class white kids who are out there purely to boost their own sense of self-worth and look good when they return.

It's insulting. I know if i was a builder or teacher in africa i'd feel insulted that a bunch of middle-class, soft white westerners thought they could come over and immediately do my job better with no formal training and act like they're making a big difference when in reality they're only gathering photos to show off to similar middle-class white friends back home.

The volunteers are only in it for themselves. Fact. And they are patronising and condenscending to ethnic groups they go to "help" with their own sense of superiority and belief that the ethnic groups can not survive without their help.

Plus, it does no good. Volunteering efforts should be spent in better training workers in said countries to earn a living teaching or building rather than having some jumped up, poncy kid go over there and do it for a few weeks.

Of course, many of the middle-class kids like 90% of the posters here who volunteer will refuse to see how condenscending it is and will refuse to see that deep down, they have a belief in their own superiority over other races.

I however am an intelligent, enlightened individual and i realise that volunteering abroad does not help and is insulting to the people of the other country. Plus i, unlike other posters here, don't have a belief that i am superior to the "poor, uneducated, underpriveledged" people living in indian or africa.

and then i chundered everywhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare.
Reply 39
Original post by standreams
While I largely agree with the sentiment of the OP I also disliked the tone. I think it absurd for him to presume that most western volunteers consider themselves superior to the people they are trying to help. However:

You seem to believe that the OP is alone in his opposition to unqualified westerners going to developing countries to do short-term volunteering. It's hardly 'hipsterism' to have this attitude- there is a growing backlash against this kind of 'voluntourism' both in the UK and in the developing countries themselves. Numerous articles have been written about the detrimental social consequences of unqualified westerners 'teaching' abroad or 'helping' in orphanages for short periods, and it is widely acknowledged that unqualified English teachers are more of hindrance than a help. It is also widely known that short term volunteers in orphanages can create psychosocial issues for the children in their 'care' and (worse) their voluntourism has spawned an exploitative commercial 'orphanage trade' in certain countries (notably Cambodia). This is all common knowledge. It is troubling that the gap yah kids who volunteer rarely bother educating themselves about the possible negative consequences of their 'work'- volunteering is almost seen as a right for those with the cash to pay for it.

My view (and that of the development professionals I know) is that you should never have to pay for a volunteering position, and anything of less than 6 months is likely to have limited positive social impact.

Perhaps the OP's posting was made out of spite but it should hardly be a surprise to you that many people (including and especially Development professionals) are increasingly concerned by the growth of a largely unregulated for-profit voluntourism industry.

You also make the assumption that volunteer projects are 'desperately needed' which is quite a ridiculous generalisation to make. It always intrigues me for example to see English-teacher positions aimed at unqualified 18 year olds in places like Fiji- a middle-income country with English as an official (and widely spoken) language, which just so happens to have an excess of tropical beaches. Fiji has absolutely no need for foreign English 'teachers' as there is ample supply of local, qualified, trained teachers who speak the language fluently.

The fact is that unqualified volunteers are depriving local people of potential income, training and social status by performing low-skilled menial jobs which local people could easily do themselves. Even where (and I hate the generalisation that this is always the case) there is no money to pay for a particular project, usually payment for services can be made by bartering goods- westerners coming out to build/paint a wall disrupts community cohesion and contributes little.

I for one am mostly against voluntourism as it is largely an unethical practice that causes more harm than good- although of course this does depend on the individual, their skills, and the project/charity in question.

Similarly, someone mentioned people fundraising for what is essentially a fun and pleasurable activity- I fully agree. I would never sponsor someone to take part in what is essentially an adventure holiday, or to do anything fun or exciting like taking a skydive. And I certainly wouldn't ever have the gall to ask for money for these activities (whereas I did fundraise for a marathon, as that was a gruelling activity requiring intense training and committment.)

All the generalisations I made in the post are in reply to the op's generalisations, not addressing all forms of volunteering. I agree with things like painting walls and all that nonsense, but as far as I am aware, things like building schools and wells are things which the volunteers I have come across are given training in, which they then transfer onto the community they volunteer within, so that they in turn can use those skills. These are programs which the governments of these developmental countries set up and require volunteers for. India for instance need these volunteers to create more sustainable and hygienic living conditions for those in shanty towns, or rather train their inhabitants according to the governmental methods- this is just an example.

As for places like Fiji, I have personal experience as to how this works. People who volunteer in these situations are NOT doing it to help people in poverty, because they aren't. They're doing it to gain experience and references, much like work experience or interning. This does not put others out of jobs, as qualified and willing applicants are given priority. I volunteered in Syria at a summer school. It was full of rich upper class Syrian children, but because of the stuff that's been going on for over a year now, those who can afford it have left the country, so there was space for me to take on a class. I ended up receiving training throughout my stay and as well as teaching a class (3-6 year olds) I was assigned to all the grunt work. It's NOT because it's a poverty stricken country and THEY need me, it's because I am a lowly student with no experience in working and I needed THEM.

Although I do agree with you on the aspect of childcare in orphanages and such. They should have 9 month contracts or something if you're going to be in contact with the children. I hope this reply isn't too muddled, I'm very tired... Oh and as for the hipster comment, I wasn't implying that he is the ONLY one of this view, merely that the way in which his argument was put forward implied that he was against volunteering for the sake of nonconformity, much like a hipster.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending