The Student Room Group

Questions on Carpentry

Hi,
I'm currently doing AS Levels but know college is not right for me.
As an alternative I have thought about an apprenticeship in carpentry as it's something I really like the look of and I know I would enjoy and potentially be good at. I understand it is very much male dominated, but it doesn't put me off.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some idea of what an apprenticeship in this field is like and whether there are any specific areas you can do?
Also, a typical salary and whether it is hard to get a job into.

Thanks for any help in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by SurferGirlx
Hi,
I'm currently doing AS Levels but know college is not right for me.
As an alternative I have thought about an apprenticeship in carpentry as it's something I really like the look of and I know I would enjoy and potentially be good at. I understand it is very much male dominated, but it doesn't put me off.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some idea of what an apprenticeship in this field is like and whether there are any specific areas you can do?
Also, a typical salary and whether it is hard to get a job into.

Thanks for any help in advance :smile:

Well first of all you say you know that you will enjoy carpentry, how do you know you will enjoy this? Any experience?

In carpentry there are alot of areas you can go into the 2 main ones being joinery and construction. Joinery is things like making furniture, and things like that. I don't really need to tell you what construction is lol.

The salary varies depending on what you will be doing, when you start out you won't be earning loads, but who knows.

It is quite a hard job to get into in the current climate, but its not impossible. What you need to be doing right now is sending covering letters to companies and buisnesses, literally go through the yellow pages and phone them up. Also you can have a look at apprenticeships.org.

To address the male dominated aspect, while true but doesn't mean you can't do it but women in this sector need to better than the boys to make it.
Reply 2
Original post by jfinney94
Well first of all you say you know that you will enjoy carpentry, how do you know you will enjoy this? Any experience?

In carpentry there are alot of areas you can go into the 2 main ones being joinery and construction. Joinery is things like making furniture, and things like that. I don't really need to tell you what construction is lol.

The salary varies depending on what you will be doing, when you start out you won't be earning loads, but who knows.

It is quite a hard job to get into in the current climate, but its not impossible. What you need to be doing right now is sending covering letters to companies and buisnesses, literally go through the yellow pages and phone them up. Also you can have a look at apprenticeships.org.

To address the male dominated aspect, while true but doesn't mean you can't do it but women in this sector need to better than the boys to make it.

I am more interested in the joinery side then, which i have had little experience in.
Im thinking of somehow getting more experience in this, before Im 100% sure and then i will be contacting companies.

Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by SurferGirlx
I am more interested in the joinery side then, which i have had little experience in.
Im thinking of somehow getting more experience in this, before Im 100% sure and then i will be contacting companies.

Thanks for your help :smile:

Well if you're going to try for work experience I would suggest contacting smaller companies who will have more time to show you things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending