The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5620
Original post by bufferz
weel it will be £5k vs £27k wont it, so i know what i would do, pay the OU, and get pissed everynight at the local pubs and clubs, join the local chess club, tadah! full uni experience for £20k+ less....

It will be £5k cash in the near future vs £25k (or whatever) contingent on sufficient earnings and over a long period of time. Not as clear-cut as the headline amounts might suggest.

jw what subject are you thinking of?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Just got T307 TMA2 back, 83%, get in!
Original post by sputum
It will be £5k cash in the near future vs £25k (or whatever) contingent on sufficient earnings and over a long period of time. Not as clear-cut as the headline amounts might suggest.

jw what subject are you thinking of?

Thanks a lot! You have convinced me. :wink: I am also trying to choose between doing a History degree (because history interests me), and an Engineering degree (because there are loads of highly paid jobs in engineering). I am having trouble deciding at the moment. :/ big decisions! Thanks again! :smile:
Reply 5623
I got big fat F-off lecture about dropping the lot from my other half the other day. I was told that I must be, quote 'so ****** dense if you're seriously going to drop out just before reaching L3'. They're right I suppose, but damn, catching up again at this stage looks erm.. improbable.

I was promised a good looking after in all respects for the entire week if I continue (:sexface:) and so I have attempted to cancel my cancellation. I'm not sure if that'll work as I haven't got a reply from anyone yet, but it has to work now, as I told work I don't want in on this project already.

So, if the cancellation of the cancellation works, if my tutors allow an extension, if I can write this EMA tonight, if I can catch up, and if I can not get arrested for killing anyone in the process of multiple all nighters in a row, it all starts again.

When I'm finished, I'm also going to write a book with the title 'how to reverse the decision you made about reversing the decision you probably didn't make in the first place again (while being tired)'.

So all nighter one. T397 EMA (what the heck is this thing? It reads like a deranged manager who enjoys dodgy new age analogies, but can't quite express himself properly).

Original post by bufferz
Just got T307 TMA2 back, 83%, get in!

Congrats matey :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Moggs
I got big fat F-off lecture about dropping the lot from my other half the other day. I was told that I must be, quote 'so ****** dense if you're seriously going to drop out just before reaching L3'. They're right I suppose, but damn, catching up again at this stage looks erm.. improbable.

I was promised a good looking after in all respects for the entire week if I continue (:sexface:) and so I have attempted to cancel my cancellation. I'm not sure if that'll work as I haven't got a reply from anyone yet, but it has to work now, as I told work I don't want in on this project already.

So, if the cancellation of the cancellation works, if my tutors allow an extension, if I can write this EMA tonight, if I can catch up, and if I can not get arrested for killing anyone in the process of multiple all nighters in a row, it all starts again.

When I'm finished, I'm also going to write a book with the title 'how to reverse the decision you made about reversing the decision you probably didn't make in the first place again (while being tired)'.

So all nighter one. T397 EMA (what the heck is this thing? It reads like a deranged manager who enjoys dodgy new age analogies, but can't quite express himself properly).

Congrats matey :smile:

OMG I haven't been on for a few days and just read you message! You can't be leaving mannn you've got this far you may as well try to finish off :smile:!!

Good luck with the TMA for tonight, or EMA?? Seems soon to be writing an EMA for MST209? KEEP OFF HERE!! No procrastination & in the words of GG get down on the boroccas / red bulls :smile: keep us posted!!

Original post by bufferz
djhdih

congrats on the tma :biggrin:
Reply 5625
Original post by Bleak Lemming
OMG I haven't been on for a few days and just read you message! You can't be leaving mannn you've got this far you may as well try to finish off :smile:!!

Good luck with the TMA for tonight, or EMA?? Seems soon to be writing an EMA for MST209? KEEP OFF HERE!! No procrastination & in the words of GG get down on the boroccas / red bulls :smile: keep us posted!!

I was going to do the hugs and goodbyes via PM tonight as I had to shoot after my last message. More work would have meant time for pretty much nothing else. Glad I didn't do that, or I would have looked more ****ish :colondollar:

It's just the EMA for T397 fortunately. My MST209 TMA is a week late now, and my tutor should be back from his holiday soon. I'm hoping with everything crossed that he'll accept me late for the third time in a row.

+ Coffee + Pepsi - sanity, here we go then.

It seems that it's good to have someone to beat and blackmail me in to making a decision sometimes. We'll see how it goes.
evidence is the key for 397 mate, if you have that, or at least bull**** them into thinking you have access to it, then most of it is done already, its just padding it out...did 2900 words for the Ieng bit, but only 1300 for the key skillls one, as its just padding for paddings sake...If you need inspiration, i wrote mine in approx 12 hours, over 2 days...so it can be done
Reply 5627
Original post by bufferz
evidence is the key for 397 mate, if you have that, or at least bull**** them into thinking you have access to it, then most of it is done already, its just padding it out...did 2900 words for the Ieng bit, but only 1300 for the key skillls one, as its just padding for paddings sake...If you need inspiration, i wrote mine in approx 12 hours, over 2 days...so it can be done

Good to hear it's not time intensive, that's very helpful matey :smile: I think evidence is going to be the main problem to be honest. 1/3 of key skills down anyway.

congrats on the tma :biggrin:

Haha well I have to admit I don't knock back on the berrocas as much. Don't find them that effective and they give you gas and make your urine dark.

EMAs due for the 15th will start in the morning. Heading to Germany on Thursday so go to be done by then.
Original post by Moggs
I got big fat F-off lecture about dropping the lot from my other half the other day.

Welcome back Moggsy. :smile: I'm sure your tutor'll let you back. All the OU tutors are so nice for some reason.
Original post by Moggs
I got big fat F-off lecture about dropping the lot from my other half the other day. I was told that I must be, quote 'so ****** dense if you're seriously going to drop out just before reaching L3'.

I'm not surprised that was part of her shopping budget she'd given up!! :biggrin: That was a quicker come back than a pro boxer's!! :biggrin:
Original post by Moggs
I was going to do the hugs and goodbyes via PM tonight as I had to shoot after my last message. More work would have meant time for pretty much nothing else. Glad I didn't do that, or I would have looked more ****ish :colondollar:

It's just the EMA for T397 fortunately. My MST209 TMA is a week late now, and my tutor should be back from his holiday soon. I'm hoping with everything crossed that he'll accept me late for the third time in a row.

+ Coffee + Pepsi - sanity, here we go then.

It seems that it's good to have someone to beat and blackmail me in to making a decision sometimes. We'll see how it goes.

How did you get on matey? You must have a pretty loving tutor letting you do 3 TMAs late :smile:
Reply 5632
Original post by Piko_Piko
Welcome back Moggsy. :smile: I'm sure your tutor'll let you back. All the OU tutors are so nice for some reason.

Thanks Piko :smile: I hope so. No word on that yet. It'd be brilliant if he allows it, because after this week, that's the only module I have left. How's MST209 going for you anyway, are you keeping ahead well? Getting the scores you're after?

Original post by Nitebot
I'm not surprised that was part of her shopping budget she'd given up!! :biggrin: That was a quicker come back than a pro boxer's!! :biggrin:

Well, the decision was never official. It was always just a rumour. Even if it had been true, management wouldn't have found out about it until after the event. Everybody knows it's verging on illegal to make that kind of decision without it being ok'd from above. :biggrin:

How did you get on matey? You must have a pretty loving tutor letting you do 3 TMAs late :smile:

It's going well :smile: A good all nighter tonight. It looks like T397 will indeed be off in the post first thing tomorrow morning. Translating the questions -> 6 hours, answering the question -> 25 minutes. A quick nap will leave me with just Q2 to do tonight.

The tutor is a nice guy indeed, but I get the feeling I'm testing the limits of his patience right now.
Original post by Moggs
Thanks Piko :smile: I hope so. No word on that yet. It'd be brilliant if he allows it, because after this week, that's the only module I have left. How's MST209 going for you anyway, are you keeping ahead well? Getting the scores you're after?

Even though it's the most interesting module so far I'm forever behind. :frown: I'm using this bank holiday to finish TMA03 after gettting a week's extension from my lovely tutor. Scraping a first in MST209 so far, so can't complain. :smile:

Anyway, off the intenet - you've got work to do.
Reply 5634
Can anybody spare 1000 words? I'm losing the will to live.

-edit 600
-edit 110 (procrastination)
-edit word count met! I could cry with happy fun cheer times.
-edit mission completed. Total word count 4444 :biggrin: Printing and sending right now, yeeeaaah!

I also realise that this post was entirely pointless. It served no purpose other than allowing me to maintain my sanity and some form of motivation.

Final edit, all sent complete with proof of posting :wink: I think it was good enough.

Interesting news also about the transitional arrangements for those studying towards multiple qualifications;
http://www.open.ac.uk/studentservices/more-than-one-qualification/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5635
congrats moggs back in the game:smile:

the exception policy finally appeared, wow. looks ok on a quick skim (not that it applies to me)
Original post by Moggs

I also realise that this post was entirely pointless. It served no purpose other than allowing me to maintain my sanity and some form of motivation.

We all do this :wink:

I'd scrapped the idea of trying to get a 2nd degree out of the OU but if they're taking application then I may have to reconsider!

I've read this

OU

4. You must be able to complete both transitional qualifications using no more than a total of 360 credits gained during the transitional period, unless the University has specified that one or both of the qualifications requires more than 360 credits to complete, in which case you can exceed the 360 credit limit by the amount necessary to complete each of the qualifications.

So am I right in thinking this pretty much prevents most opportunities to get the two degrees? Such as BEng + BSc Maths as we have to do 55 creds at L1 which aren't maths related (T173, T191, TXR120), 70 at L2 (T207 & TXR220) then 105 creds at L3 which are T modules...

It seems like by what they're saying in the quote that if you complete 1 degree with 360 creds.. and you can claim a second with only those exact same modules / credits that were used for the first degree - which seems pointless to me.

--- EDIT ---

Gratz on getting it done btw :smile:

--- EDIT 2 ---

I find it really annoying on the OU website how you can't look at exactly what modules are required to complete a degree, and how you can't see the old qualifications. I'm trying to have a look at the old BSc Mathematics qualification to see what the mandatory modules are and what I could get away with using from my BEng to see if I could have the 360 credits inclusive in my first degree :/
(edited 11 years ago)
so have i got this right, I do my last couple of units for my B.Eng, and as long as I can use 1 module for say, business studies, i can get another degree out of them at the old rates?
Reply 5638
Original post by sputum
congrats moggs back in the game:smile:

the exception policy finally appeared, wow. looks ok on a quick skim (not that it applies to me)

Gratz on getting it done btw :smile:

Thanks matey(s?) :smile: So glad to be back to the maths after that.

Did you know there was an exception policy on the way sputum? :cool:

Today, I obtained one medium sized submarine.

That's interesting. The way I read this was that you have to complete both degrees using a maximum of 360 points during the transitional arrangements. For example, if you do 120 to complete your BEng during the transitional period, you have 240 poinss remaining to complete another degree. If 120 of the BEng can also be applied to the maths degree, then the other 240 can go towards the maths.

I think I'm going to apply for it to see what the say.

My plan would be along the lines of:
Maths to go to the maths degree: MSXR209 (10), MST209(60), MST121(30), MST326 (30) (maybe M324 if I decide to do it, or I could apply MU120 at a stretch). That just about fits me in, leaving exactly 360 points to be completed under transitional arrangements in total.

Alternatively of course, I could just go straight to an MSc :confused: Still working on that one.

I find it really annoying on the OU website how you can't look at exactly what modules are required to complete a degree, and how you can't see the old qualifications. I'm trying to have a look at the old BSc Mathematics qualification to see what the mandatory modules are and what I could get away with using from my BEng to see if I could have the 360 credits inclusive in my first degree :/

I think they were MST121, MS221, M208 and a residential. Sputum is doing a Topology module though, so I think he might know the answer :smile:

Original post by bufferz
so have i got this right, I do my last couple of units for my B.Eng, and as long as I can use 1 module for say, business studies, i can get another degree out of them at the old rates?

I think that's right Bufferz, unless Mr Lemming is right, in which case it's wrong :tongue:

Side note: My MST209 tutor said OK to spending some extra time on TMA03. :yay:
Reply 5639
Original post by Moggs
Did you know there was an exception policy on the way sputum? :cool:

My memory is hazy but I think first mention I found was probably sep/oct 2011:smile: (on OUSA matters forum, OUSA threads disappear after a month but that's a different rant entirely) the whole thing was a mess for ages. Some people made life-changing moves based on poor 'advice', others were plotting to do another two (additional) complete degrees before 2017, lots of games around deregistering modules, starting multiple degrees and the like.

I was mainly interested because I don't think 4 L3 maths modules are enough for a serious tilt at postgrad. I did halve my work hours in Feb 2011 with the idea of monstering a maths degree in quick time using Feb and Oct starts but then Feb starts disappeared. I'd probably have scraped/failed M208 working full-time so can't complain (I'm a better student now than I was then)

My best guess is that the OU assumed too much and HEFCE gave them a slap but it may have been something else entirely.

Quick Reply

Latest