The Student Room Group

Don't know how to decide my final unis - So confused!

Hi everyone, i would first like to thank you in advance for all of the help that you'll be giving me!

Well, i've got till 9th of May to finalise my University choices. I've come to a final 3 - University of Bath (Accounting and Finance), University of York (Economics and Finance), and University of Exeter (Economics and Finance)...

I honestly don't know what to put as a firm and insurance, i am seriously confused... If anyone could help with university statistics, university life, opportunities within these unis, etc ... it would be greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately i haven't had the chance to visit any of these universities as i am currently undertaking intensive a levels (AS and A2 in 1year), so any help from you guys will be so helpful and i am willing to take your word for it!

Thanks alot :smile:
Original post by justneedhelp

Well, i've got till 9th of May to finalise my University choices. I've come to a final 3 - University of Bath (Accounting and Finance), University of York (Economics and Finance), and University of Exeter (Economics and Finance)...

I honestly don't know what to put as a firm and insurance, i am seriously confused... If anyone could help with university statistics, university life, opportunities within these unis, etc ... it would be greatly appreciated!

I know they're going to be similar but I'd have thought there would be some quite significant differences between Accounting & Finance and Economics & Finance. So I think that ought to be your first decisions. Then (if the economics comes out top) compare the York and the Exeter courses to see if there is one that appeals to you more.
If there isn't, I'd be minded to look at location. Unless you're from the south-west, Exeter is probably going to be more expensive/difficult to get to and from.
But the weather may be better!
Reply 2
Original post by accomoffice
I know they're going to be similar but I'd have thought there would be some quite significant differences between Accounting & Finance and Economics & Finance. So I think that ought to be your first decisions. Then (if the economics comes out top) compare the York and the Exeter courses to see if there is one that appeals to you more.
If there isn't, I'd be minded to look at location. Unless you're from the south-west, Exeter is probably going to be more expensive/difficult to get to and from.
But the weather may be better!

Hmmm, Well personally i don't actually know the difference between the two! I know that even Accounting and Finance has Economics modules, but in the future my career prospects head either way, I dont mind Chartered accountancy nor investment banking etc... I will definitely compare everything by tonight hopefully, and I live in London so I'm pretty sure Exeter would be cheaper than what i'm already used to :P Exeter takes around 3hours to get to from home, and York may be a bit longer i think...

Thanks for your help btw :smile:
Exeter takes around 3hours to get to from home, and York may be a bit longer i think...

York should be less than 2.5 hours from Kings X so I'd have thought the train journey would be shorter but you may find to easier to get to Paddington (?) than Kings X. Not a lot of difference though so that's probably not a factor.

Thanks for your help btw :smile:

You're very welcome. Wish I could have helped more. On the plus side, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those unis/courses so if the worst comes to the worst, draw it out of a hat!!
Reply 4
Original post by accomoffice
York should be less than 2.5 hours from Kings X so I'd have thought the train journey would be shorter but you may find to easier to get to Paddington (?) than Kings X. Not a lot of difference though so that's probably not a factor.

You're very welcome. Wish I could have helped more. On the plus side, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those unis/courses so if the worst comes to the worst, draw it out of a hat!!

It takes me a good 40-50 minutes to get to Kings cross by tube, I live in Greater London * :smile:
And believe me you have helped enough, Atm i think i'm leading to Exeter as firm and Bath as insurance... If i decide to do Accounting when i get my grades i can easily switch to choose my insurance so that should be okay!

I'll be finalising this decision tomorrow as i find out if i've got through to the last stage of my KPMG scholarship and if that's the case then i'll be choosing Exeter and York! If i still feel confused then i think that the hat idea might be a good one!

Haha, thanks a lot once again :smile:
Reply 5
It takes me a good 40-50 minutes to get to Kings cross by tube, I live in Greater London * :smile:
And believe me you have helped enough, Atm i think i'm leading to Exeter as firm and Bath as insurance... If i decide to do Accounting when i get my grades i can easily switch to choose my insurance so that should be okay!

I'll be finalising this decision tomorrow as i find out if i've got through to the last stage of my KPMG scholarship and if that's the case then i'll be choosing Exeter and York! If i still feel confused then i think that the hat idea might be a good one!

Haha, thanks a lot once again :smile:

Just thought I'd let you know that if you get the grades for your firm on results day then you are automatically released from your insurance. So you won't be able to switch and go to your insurance on results day.
Reply 6
Original post by Shelly_x
Just thought I'd let you know that if you get the grades for your firm on results day then you are automatically released from your insurance. So you won't be able to switch and go to your insurance on results day.

Oh i didn't know this... =/ That's a bit stupid then as Bath is AAA for me and Exeter is AAB... Think i'll switch them around then! Sigh... Didn't actually know choosing Universities was so stressful !!
Reply 7
Oh i didn't know this... =/ That's a bit stupid then as Bath is AAA for me and Exeter is AAB... Think i'll switch them around then! Sigh... Didn't actually know choosing Universities was so stressful !!

go to the uni you think you'd be happiest at. Do a pros and cons list for each and see which one wins.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending