The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3200
Original post by Carecup

Spoiler

Spoiler

Currently deciding who to vote for in tonight's Aniblog tourney matchups... decided to read Nopy's thoughts on the spring season, and agreed with everything they said for about half a page. Was almost certainly going to vote for them until I reached their thoughts on Sakamichi no Apollon...

I got some strong yaoi vibes from this series, which really put me off.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions obviously, but yaoi vibes? :wtf: From that point in the post my tastes and the blogger's seemed to split completely. :giggle: Still voted for them in the end though, as they're watching Shining Hearts, and weren't as mean about Upotte!! as their opposition. :p:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3202
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Currently deciding who to vote for in tonight's Aniblog tourney matchups... decided to read Nopy's thoughts on the spring season, and agreed with everything they said for about half a page. Was almost certainly going to vote for them until I reached their thoughts on Sakamichi no Apollon...

Everyone's entitled to their opinions obviously, but yaoi vibes? :wtf: From that point in the post my tastes and the blogger's seemed to split completely. :giggle: Still voted for them though, as they're watching Shining Hearts, and weren't as mean about Upotte!! as their opposition. :p:

It was that scene on the top of the stairs where they hold hands and the one in the rain Ill bet.:giggle: It was just a bit romantic.:mmm: But not strong.:hmmm: Or enough to justify not watching it.:unimpressed:
Just finished rewatching Haibane Renmei (for some reason I just felt like watching it) for the first time in a few years and it really reminded me why I loved it the first time I saw it. Great pacing, superb character development, an amazing mix of atmosphere - it maintains such a dark tones even in the lightness of the setting. And something that always a big plus for me; the score. The score for Renmei is just awesome. Really loved it. Come to think, I don't think I've ever really seen any other show like it which I guess makes it even more remarkable.

:congrats: I think that's the first time I've used that smilie in a non-sarcastic manner on TSR. Shows how much I loved it. :daydreaming:
Reply 3204
Voting for this years Sai Mecha tournament is open!

http://saimecha.wordpress.com/2012/05/06/sai-mecha-2012-round-1-earth-side/
Reply 3205
Original post by caraniel

I can't wait to see the votes roll in for everyone's favourite, Zeorymer of the Heavens.
Reply 3206
Noticed some characters who look a bit like ones from greed island in the hxh OP/ED along with the york shin city guys :beard:
Original post by caraniel

too late I already voted:huff:
Reply 3207
How much detail does Bakuman go into with regards to creating manga/anime(?)

With the manga apparently ending at a not stupid level of volumes I'm thinking of trying it
Reply 3208
So I'm 10 minutes into AKB0048

Oh and Upotte!! 5

Spoiler

Original post by Carecup
So I'm 10 minutes into AKB0048

Oh and Upotte!! 5

Spoiler

I think Shinde Iie blog gave the best and most accurate review of the show I have seen.
Reply 3210
Original post by Truered
How much detail does Bakuman go into with regards to creating manga/anime(?)With the manga apparently ending at a not stupid level of volumes I'm thinking of trying it
If you're referring to the creative process itself and not the industry surrounding the creation of manga, I would say that it's slightly less but there's definitely some focus on it. They obviously don't into too much detail regarding the thought process behind the story or the illustrative techniques adopted, but they talk about narrative and genre, and specifically what appeals to the Shounen Jump (or Jack, in this case) audience. So, yeah... Bakuman does depict a somewhat idealistic depiction of the creation of manga and what the industry is like, but only to an extent.
Reply 3211
Original post by Aiko
If you're referring to the creative process itself and not the industry surrounding the creation of manga, I would say that it's slightly less but there's definitely some focus on it. They obviously don't into too much detail regarding the thought process behind the story or the illustrative techniques adopted, but they talk about narrative and genre, and specifically what appeals to the Shounen Jump (or Jack, in this case) audience. So, yeah... Bakuman does depict a somewhat idealistic depiction of the creation of manga and what the industry is like, but only to an extent.

The creative process yes, but I'm also curious about if it touches on the (apparently) exhausting and possibly exploitative industry too :smile:

(I'm certain I can recall hearing horror stories about working hours and wages for people just starting out with manga, especially as assistants)
Reply 3212
Original post by Truered
The creative process yes, but I'm also curious about if it touches on the (apparently) exhausting and possibly exploitative industry too :smile:(I'm certain I can recall hearing horror stories about working hours and wages for people just starting out with manga, especially as assistants)
Without going into any detail as to spoil, it's touched upon, usually comically, but never explicitly (referring more to how exhausting it can be, not whether it's exploitative or not). :tongue:

I have a friend who I knew from school who is currently an animator in Japan and whenever we catch up, he often laments the long hours and low pay. This applies to all of the creative industries in Japan, particularly at the lower end. It's the same in the west to a degree, especially with pay, but the hours are a lot more reasonable. That said, in Japan and Asia in general, it's common to work longer hours. It's become almost intrinsic, not just with the creative industries but any sector.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3213
Gundam age is actually kind of refreshing:hmmmm: No one has really needed a bright slap.:s: usually in these alternate universes there's atleast one person ..or the entire main cast... (Im looking at you seed:unimpressed:)
Original post by Facticity
I think Shinde Iie blog gave the best and most accurate review of the show I have seen.

Not sure if blog post is serious...
Reply 3215
Original post by The Cornerstone

I lost it at the guilty crown comment.
Reply 3216
Original post by Aiko
Without going into any detail as to spoil, it's touched upon, usually comically, but never explicitly (referring more to how exhausting it can be, not whether it's exploitative or not). :tongue:

I have a friend who I knew from school who is currently an animator in Japan and whenever we catch up, he often laments the long hours and low pay. This applies to all of the creative industries in Japan, particularly at the lower end. It's the same in the west to a degree, especially with pay, but the hours are a lot more reasonable. That said, in Japan and Asia in general, it's common to work longer hours. It's become almost intrinsic, not just with the creative industries but any sector.

I think I'll probably try it, I managed to completely fall away from the anime- I watched the first two episodes and just forgot about it :nyoron:

The main worry is I can't get rid of the urge that keeps saying "start collecting One Piece" :colondollar: It's been coming on and off for months. I only have so much room/money...

Original post by Carecup
I lost it at the guilty crown comment.

Its obviously not serious lol Hilarious, one of my favourite writers.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Truered
The main worry is I can't get rid of the urge that keeps saying "start collecting One Piece" :colondollar: It's been coming on and off for months. I only have so much room/money...

Have you considered the omnibus releases? Getting them that way will still take room and money, but you'd save a little of both compared with getting the single volumes. :p:
Reply 3219

Not serious at all, I know Inushinde pretty well, he's a funny fella and a really good writer :yes:

Latest