The Student Room Group

Things you should've took to uni, but didn't.

For those who are already at uni or have been to uni...what are some things that you forgot to take with you to university that you wish you had took?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Alcohol. Yes, that's right. I turned up with no alcohol. I just assumed I would buy it when I got there but everyone else turned up with some.
I also turned up with one plate, one fork, one knife, one cup, one spoon and one saucepan. Big mistake! Definitely needed more cooking stuff.
But other than that I was quite prepared!
A waste paper bin (hastily bought from sainsburys; the uni had said that it would provide one, but didn't)
A bike (brought from home after xmas)
Ringbinders
Wellies
Lots of warm clothing (I hadn't quite got out of the 'Australian weather' mindset when I came to uni, 10 days after returning from Aus!)
Knife sharpener
Recipe books (I remembered, but few people do)
Thermos flask (useful for those many hours spent in the library!)
Tupperware
External DVD player for my laptop
Holdall (for weekends away, when that massive wheelie case is just too big)

To be honest though, just about everything on the list was either retrieved at reading week / xmas, or bought cheaply in Manchester.
I shouldn't have taken everything. But I did.
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
Knife sharpener

:hmmm:
Reply 5
A girlfriend.

Just kidding, I'm not a loser.
Original post by TheCount.
A girlfriend.

Just kidding, I'm not a loser.

:lolwut:
Reply 7
A work ethic.
Reply 8
Original post by gunit123

Not sure what's so questionable about that suggestion. A sharpening steel can be vital if you use propper (non serated) kitchen knives

Come back when you've tried to fillet a fish with a knife that isn't properly sharp.

I understand where she's coming from. My knives have just become so blunt that they can barely cut a potato. Come to think of it, I might go out and buy one at some point if they're not too expensive.
I would say "sanity", but some people would argue that I never really had that to begin with.
Reply 12
Original post by Origami Bullets
Come back when you've tried to fillet a fish with a knife that isn't properly sharp.

I'm astounded you're filleting a fish at uni, i assume my diet will be pasta and rice. Good on you.
Original post by tehforum
A work ethic.

A sexy work ethic? :sexface:
Reply 14
Original post by PierceBrosnan
A sexy work ethic? :sexface:

Good call.

:sexface:
My virginity :colonhash:
Reply 16
A printer!! Printing from library / uni computers can be expensive and if you're rushing to meet a deadline and run out of money on your account or the printer isn't working it's not good!
Reply 17
The realisation that the other students turning up on Day 1 were just as nervous, full of self-doubt and hopefully acting a part as I would be, for the first few days until you got to know people.
my motivation :sigh:
My hard drive.

Quick Reply

Latest