The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aja89
Thinking about going to see Avengers but haven't seen any other Marvel films. Does it matter?

To appreciate the movie fully, yes it does matter. Otherwise you could still easily get the drift of things in general but you probably wouldn't think it's that great. You could have a Marvel marathon week maybe? Could be fun :biggrin:
Original post by aja89
Thinking about going to see Avengers but haven't seen any other Marvel films. Does it matter?

You'll appreciate and care about the characters more if you see the individual films (Iron Man 1 and 2, Captain America and Thor really). 2 out of the 4 films are good on their own merits anyway. I didn't care much for Captain America or Iron Man 2.
Reply 6222
Original post by mikestraws
I disagree. The movie was not filmed in 3D, it was simply edited that way, which means there are zero scenes that had a decent 3D element like something flying towards the screen.

I'd have to disgree, admittedly I don't have too much to compare it with but the last film before this I watched in 3D (The Immortals) was pretty awful compared to it.
Original post by salad_fingers
Oldboy is one of my favourites!

They're doing a Western remake for release next year apparently. That's going to suuuuck.

I'm loathe to discount any film without seeing a frame of it (particularly one with the talent that's been bandied around like Josh Brolin and Spike Lee), but Oldboy is one film that I'm really struggling to see working at all in a Westernised manner. Just in terms of a practical manner that US cities don't have any apartment buildings like those seen in the film makes it all that much more unbelievable. And because Park Chan Wook's visual style is never going to be matched I've got to hope that rather than trying to copy it they're going for a reimagining of the story, and one that will probably feel very different to the original film.
Original post by aja89

I'd only seen the first Iron Man before I saw the Avengers, which was yesterday, and I understood it all, though I had to ask my brother about a few bits, but otherwise yeah you'll be fine! :wink:

Original post by sheep_go_baa
To appreciate the movie fully, yes it does matter. Otherwise you could still easily get the drift of things in general but you probably wouldn't think it's that great. You could have a Marvel marathon week maybe? Could be fun :biggrin:

After I've finished revision tonight, I'm going to try and have a Marvel marathon, I wasn't a huge fan of the marvel thing but loved the Avengers last night, so I'm going to watch Iron Man 2, Captain America & Thor tonight, if I can stay awake!
Thor was the weakest of the films.
I disagree. Thor was enjoyable as the first Iron Man. Kenneth Branagh did a fantastic job in both showing Asgard and Thor adjusting to life on Earth. Captain America on the other hand was relatively dull. The period setting worked, yes but the plot and characters were lacking.
I just really didnt get into Thor. I just found the plot really dull. :dontknow:
Thor and Captain America were about as good as each other, but for different reasons. They both 7/10 type films.
The Avengers is the only one of the MCU films since Iron Man to hit the high water-mark of Iron Man, but the others are perfectly decent, and there's a genuine, vaguely refreshing sense of fun and unpretentiousness about them in an age riddled with superhero deconstruction.
(edited 11 years ago)
Iron Man is a classic for me tbf
Reply 6231
Anyone else get this at the cinema?

Watched The Avengers last week with my friends and one of them hadn't watched Thor beforehand so had no idea who Loki was or really what any of the film was about. She hadn't realised he was Thor's half-brother until at least half-way through. :rofl2:

I can't believe I didn't come here and gush about the film before now, actually. But yeah, it looks like the last few pages have been just about the release so I'll pipe down.
Not too shabby, in my opinion, though. Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk made it for me :yy:
Original post by Belowski
Anyone else get this at the cinema?

Nah didn't get that. :lol:

Didn't get the clever Orange adverts either. Always look forward to those.
I just finished watching Hitchcock's sorely underrated Frenzy. Spectacular performance from Jon Finch, and easily one of, if not the most disturbing Hitchcock film ever.

9/10

My favourite is still North by Northwest. :wink:
Reply 6235
Didn't know before today that Tom & Jerry cartoons had won seven Oscars for Best Animated Short Film, and been nominated for another four. :gasp:
Original post by Abiraleft
Didn't know before today that Tom & Jerry cartoons had won seven Oscars for Best Animated Short Film, and been nominated for another four. :gasp:

I knew I had good taste in cartoons as a kid :pierre:
Original post by Abiraleft

Why tell me that? Why? Making me want to go and watch some Tom and Jerry now and I have essays to write!
Reply 6238
Original post by sheep_go_baa
I knew I had good taste in cartoons as a kid :pierre:

Ditto. :smug:

SirMasterKey

Why tell me that? Why? Making me want to go and watch some Tom and Jerry now and I have essays to write!

Ditto. :sad:
'For the shot where Hans Gruber falls from the top of the building in Die Hard (1988), was actually dropped by a stuntman from a 20-foot high model onto an air bag. To get a genuine surprised look, the stunt man dropped him on the count of two instead of three.'

I lol'd.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending