The Student Room Group

A/A* students, What's your secret?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Undergrad2012
- Try to make an effort to listen in class
- Do the homework because it does help!
- Dont leave revision until the last minute, it'll only make you panic!
- Mind maps
- Past papers really useful as someone posted above, you will know if youre answering along the right lines
- Post it notes around your room and other places you go reguarly to make things stick in your mind
- Make a checklist of everything you need to know for the exam and work your way through it!
- Sometimes it helps people to write notes again and again but this can be boring!
- If it is an essay based exam, practice timed essays until you can do it comfortably
- Find out how long the paper is and figure out how much time you will allocate to each question
- Revision timetable to make sure youre dedicating equal amounts of time to subjects or more to ones you are less confident at
- Revision guides are usually concise and easier to read than a textbook

Everyone has their own ways of revising but I hope this helps! Good luck, youre hard work will pay off :smile:

Thank you! I'm trying all these at the moment, I hope they work and I get good grades, thanks for the help!
Honestly? Natural intelligence most probably. I did minimal revision, certainly not 8 hours a day like some of the really keen kids on here think you need to do, and my GCSEs turned out pretty good. There isn't really a secret, just try to understand the content, like, don't memorise the whole textbook or something stupid. It doesn't matter anyway, I think everyone has a peak and if you find yourself working really really hard and not achieving what you like, you're either a. doing something fundamentally wrong, or b. simply not naturally talented in that area. Another thing with GCSEs - exam technique can really score you a lot of extra marks, you don't necessarily have to be that good at something, you just have to write what's in the mark scheme, and year to year a lot of questions don't change.

To sum it up in a sentece: work smart, not hard.

This advice is specific to GCSEs by the way, A-levels are different, it's pretty important to revise and revise properly.
I think the most important thing is to understand what you're studying. Once I grasp a concept, it's easy to remember it. This is especially true for math and science subjects. As for plain facts, just memorise 'em :P
Reply 23
Original post by hopingtobeadentist
I like you, what did you get for GCSE's?

I'm in year 11 right now, I already have 3A* (Chemistry, Physics and Maths), an A (statistics) a B( english lit) and a C in spanish, i did those in year 9/10. I'm hoping to get as many A*'s as i can hopefully at least 6.
Original post by izzaha
I'm in year 11 right now, I already have 3A* (Chemistry, Physics and Maths), an A (statistics) a B( english lit) and a C in spanish, i did those in year 9/10. I'm hoping to get as many A*'s as i can hopefully at least 6.

That is really good, I hope I get a lot of A*'s :biggrin:
Reply 25
The best thing is to revise small amounts each day a significant time before the exam, what you're learning will go into long term memory thus you will be able to withdraw the information when required.
Reply 26
p a s t p a p e r s
Reply 27
I got an A* for all pieces of my GCSE English coursework between Year 9 and 10 and for my GCSE exams, I was predicted an A* although I got a B in English Language and a B in English Literature...

If you want an A* in English Literature, look deeply into the meanings of poems and novels, even if your meanings seem so bizarre and strange!

Take this example as a good technique when analysing text: If someone's wearing red, they're sexual, angry, in love etc. This is because red is a colour that symbolises such things. Then, after making the point, find a piece in the text which represents this character being sexual, angry, in love etc.

Also, consider EVERYTHING to be metaphorical for another thing!

Finally, PEE on your work! Make the Point, write down the Extract or Evidence which supports your point and then Explain your point and go into detail in what you mean by it...

I'm sure writing this was pointless but who knows, it might help someone ^_^
Reply 28
I am motivated, I intend to go Kings College and study dentistry, I want to pick Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Sociology in A-Levels.

Only thing I am not sure about is which college I want to go to, which type of dentist I want to be and if I will get good GCSE's :frown:
Well that's all the motivation you need! I'm sure if you act on this motivation you can do it.

I wouldn't worry TOO much about GCSEs, at University they will be looking mainly at A levels, and, if you put the work in, its very possible to get good grades at a not-so-good Sixth-form or college. I was one of about three who got A grades at A level in my whole sixth form of maybe 50, because I worked very independently and found out what I needed to know.

As someone said, work smart, not hard (but work hard too :biggrin:)

As for not knowing what kind of dentist you want to be, I decided what I wanted to do (3D Digital Animation) earlier this year, after neglecting to go to University because of many reasons, so do not worry at all, I am sure you will realise that later.

Best of luck.
Reply 29
I got all A's in the summer exams I took in year 10 last year, except from chemistry because I just find it hard to understand.The exams I took were: history, RE, Physics. I also did many controlled conditions for English which I got mainly As/A*'s. I have 3 B's so far: One in English Poetry, One in an English controlled condition and one in biology. I also have A's in ICT & Graphics (coursework).

All I do is read, write and recite (for the real exams). It helps me, but really I think it's all about trying different ways and seeing what helps you the most. In year 10 I made a song for biology which helped me to achieve the B I got, but that's because I wasn't taking many exams during year 10 and I still had time.

Good luck! :smile:
Hi :smile: Eep first post on here! First of all, good luck! I'm also in year 11 and predicted all A*/A's(hoping to get around 7 A*'s) but I've never really thought about how I revise before. A few things that work for me are definitely past papers, so you can get a feel of the questions you're answering. After you've completed them, it's helpful to go back over the mark scheme and find out what the examiners are looking for (this works well with most subjects) but for the word-y essay ones I always set myself a structure and then memorise it, and adapt it according to the title.
Like someone else has mentioned, setting goals is a huge help, especially for me, it's definitely my motivation to actually do the revision, which leads me on to my next thing! You must actually learn when you're revising, don't just say 'I'll do one hour' and then spend one hour doing something you can already do - waste of time!
I've seen someone above me mention PEE, which is definitely important for English essays! I do it a little bit differently(to ensure I get top marks), I use PEECE instead! Point, Evidence, Explain, Connective, Explore. For explore do a quick alternative interpretation :smile: Also another thing, write in lists of 3! That always helps you get top marks.
My last tip is making a list of what you need to revise, for example get a copy of the syllabus and mark it red for urgently needs revising, orange for something you just need to go over, and green for something your completely happy, gets your head clear and makes it easier to know where to start :-)
That's about as much as I can put into one post without writing a novel, once again, good luck! If you (or anyone) wants any other tips or advice feel free to ask!
Reply 31
Original post by CharlotteJones96
past papers, so you can get a feel of the questions you're answering. After you've completed them, it's helpful to go back over the mark scheme and find out what the examiners are looking for

This. Learn the exam, not the subject, interest for the subject may take you a long way in expanding your knowledge in that area, and that's great, but to get a good grade you must write what they want you to.

To conclude, read mark schemes!
What's your revision tips/techniques? What's your secret?

Effective revision, which will vary wildly depending on the subject, course, exam board etc.

Paying attention in lessons has to be the most important though, and that's the same with A(S) Level, as if you understand everything and work hard in lesson-time you'll get an easy B without even doing any revision at all (YMMV).

Getting organised is useful too - have folders for each subject etc.
And go for 'classic' revision techniques - past papers, written notes and practice questions. None of this bitesize mumbo-jumbo :smile:
What's your revision tips/techniques? What's your secret?

what you do, is find out for each subject the exam board and course name, print of the specificiation for that course, and learn it. then you print of past papers and do them all and learn the markschemes (before your teaachers make you start doing them- teachers always start late.) If your exam board has a textbook ENDORSED by them for YOUR COURSE. you buy it and memorize it, same for any revision guides they make. and you also buy and learn the cgp revision guides for your course.
simples.
Original post by cesca42
I now say my secret is eating a banana before each exam, it's the only plausible explanation. In truth, bananas are awesome brain foods.

But, for my revision method I prepare mindmaps in advance then in the days leading up to the exam I walk around my room reciting the mindmaps out loud to myself.

Exactly the same here, its all about being able to picture the content of each subject in your head. I ate a banana before each exam too!

Other exam/revision secrets;
-have a glucose tablet before you go in (its just sugar and tastes really nice)
-wear a scarf, it keeps your neck warm and therefore the blood going to your brain is nice and warm
-notes notes notes! write notes out then condense and then condense more
-try to enjoy what you do, get into the content, be interested. Revision is all about engaging the brain, if your not engaged in what your doing theres no use doing it (easier said than done)

Totally random and I'm sure theres no scientific evidence behind the scarf trick but all those worked for me!
My advise for English language/literature or generally any essay based exams is this simple anagram

SECSI -- *thumbs up if you misread it* :rolleyes:

S -> Statement
E -> Evidence
C -> Comment
S -> Scheme of things
I -> Interpretation

SECSI Pwnz PEE(Point evidence explanation) :cool:

People who write generally in SECSI structure tend to get A/A* comparison to the B grade student still on PEE. :eek:
(edited 11 years ago)
1. The CGP books are amazing, especially for Science. Everything that was in my Science exams last year was in those books, and they got me A* in each Science exam I had though Physics was an absolute pain. Don't just read them though, buy the workbook as well because reading won't just make you remember it.

2. The examiners' reports to past papers generally show how they want questions to be answered, so look at those.

3. Do past papers, I can't stress this enough. You can see the type of questions that come up and you can get used to the layout. Go to a mark scheme or ask your teacher any questions you don't understand. I didn't understand two questions in a Speciman paper for Sociology GCSE last year and asked my teacher. In the real exam, BOTH the questions I didn't understand came up but it was easy marks because my teacher had gone through them with me.

4. For any essay styled subjects, or subjects like RS and Sociology where you have to write your answers to questions in a particular way, PRACTICE. If you don't write essays or answers in the way examiners want, you WILL lose marks.

5. My fave thing to do is to write notes up on a PowerPoint, then duplicate each slide but delete words or definitions and try to remember them, and then I can use the slide I copied from to check my answers. It helps it set in. :smile:

That's all I've got so far. Hope it helps. :smile:
Thanks guys, this is really helping! However I think the best one is the one about the banana :P I'll try that :biggrin:

But real talk, thanks for all your help!

By the way, the best works for is to make notes, go over them, read text books, answer small questions in them, and go through with it with friends :biggrin:
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
My advise for English language/literature or generally any essay based exams is this simple anagram

S -> Statement
E -> Evidence
C -> Comment
S -> Scheme of things
I -> Interpretation

People who write generally in SECSI structure tend to get A/A* comparison to the B grade student still on PEE. :eek:

I agree with this 100%. I used to get so many B grades using PEE, so I gave up and used something similar to SECSI and my grades have improved so much where I am now getting almost every single English Lit essay back with an A* grade.

PEE is good, but not good enough.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

S -> Statement
E -> Evidence
C -> Comment
S -> Scheme of things
I -> Interpretation

What is scheme of things and interpretation?

Quick Reply

Latest