The Student Room Group

The Standard Grade Chemistry Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I have had a total of 7 chemistry teachers for the course of my standard grade + a whole bunch of suppply teachers. The joys of going to a Sottish state school..... :unimpressed:

I borrowed the standard grade textbook of one of my friends who sat her standard grades last year and it was pretty good. Past papers are also an amazing method of revisision. There's some recurring things and some patterns in the layout too.

Being as geeky as I am I actually enjoy doing past papers :colondollar:

I also really love chemistry :s-smilie: I think its really interesting and just genuinely enjoy it.
Reply 21
That smiley you put on the end pretty much sums up my face after doing past papers. Eh.. meh not like a boss .. I am a boss. :fatcontroller:.
I also love doing past papers :biggrin: I'm not yet bashing through them, but I'm close :biggrin:
So I'll hopefully get a 1 :cool:
Do you choose Chemistry for next year?
Good luck with the exam! It feels like ages since I did mine.
Reply 24
For all those who wanted access to 'evans2chemweb' like I did, but school isn't signed up, just use this username and password, the stuff is helpful...

http://edubuzz.org/mgschemistry/standard-grade/revision/evans2chemweb/

Have fun, and I wish all of us luck on Monday!
Reply 25
Original post by tasha96
Do you like it? Does it have the little mini quizzes in it like the physics one does?
I'm just trying to work out whether it would be worth my while nipping down to the library to borrow a copy or if I should just focus on my revision cards/past papers at this point. :biggrin:

Ive got a blue chemcord book, the small one.

A big red hodder and gibson one.

Loads of others which were passed down,

I prefer the small one due to the precise notes it gives.

How y'all doing in revision? Not been on this in a few days !
Original post by nerd434
Yeah I did, I've got a really good teacher next year so I'll hopefully do well, did you?

I did :smile: I didn't have a choice tbh as I want to do Veterinary Medicine at Uni.
But I like chemistry so it's not a problem for me.

Music revision for me today and I'm starting hardcore chem. revision tomorrow :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by -Neuro-
I have had a total of 7 chemistry teachers for the course of my standard grade + a whole bunch of suppply teachers. The joys of going to a Sottish state school..... :unimpressed:

I borrowed the standard grade textbook of one of my friends who sat her standard grades last year and it was pretty good. Past papers are also an amazing method of revisision. There's some recurring things and some patterns in the layout too.

Being as geeky as I am I actually enjoy doing past papers :colondollar:

I also really love chemistry :s-smilie: I think its really interesting and just genuinely enjoy it.

Likewise, you get pastpapers which depress you to the max but chemistry one I enjoy, it was the same with physics.

Jeez im such a weird child!:rolleyes:
Reply 28
Can someone walk me through a calculation and give me a bit help.

It's these ones that are the only ones i'm having slight trouble with.

(c)The average volume of sulphuric acid used in the titration is
20 cm3
Calculate the number of moles of sulphuric acid used. (this is into a 10cm3 solution of potassium hydroxide by the way).

AND

(d) H2SO4 + 2KOH > K2SO4 + 2H20

Using your answer from part (c)(, calculate the number of moles of
potassium hydroxide in the 10 cm3
sample of potassium hydroxide solution.
Heyy I've got the exam as well, 6 days and counting :/ how is everyone getting on with revising? I am doing General past papers and getting 3's each time and mostly 2's in the credit but I would like a 2 anyway and your practical grade earns you a 1 if you have a 1,1 :colone:

Anyway a guy came to our school to talk about revision techniques, I have highlighted nearly all of my success guide etc and its sinking in, I got 4,4 in prelim so you can see I'm improving aha. And he also said if you spray your hand with an aftershave/perfume and smell it every now and then when revising then spray the same aftershave/perfume on the day of the exam some memories will come flooding back before smell/taste holds the strongest memories.

So uh...yeah, thats that, I can't do that though, I have a cold :frown: lol
Original post by BigChimp
Can someone walk me through a calculation and give me a bit help.

It's these ones that are the only ones i'm having slight trouble with.

(c)The average volume of sulphuric acid used in the titration is
20 cm3
Calculate the number of moles of sulphuric acid used. (this is into a 10cm3 solution of potassium hydroxide by the way).

AND

(d) H2SO4 + 2KOH > K2SO4 + 2H20

Using your answer from part (c)(, calculate the number of moles of
potassium hydroxide in the 10 cm3
sample of potassium hydroxide solution.

I looked up the past paper, 2011?

(c) Well, if you look at the wee diagram of the titration set up, you'll see that the H2SO4 conc. is 0.1M.

you know that n = c * v(litres)

Therefore:
n = 0.1 * (20/1000)
n = 0.002 moles

(d) Use link-proportion :biggrin:

If 1 mol H2SO4 reacts with 2 mol KOH
Therefore, 0.002 mol reacts with 0.004 mol KOH

So the answer is 0.004 mol KOH :biggrin:
Reply 31
Original post by badumdumtscht
I looked up the past paper, 2011?

(c) Well, if you look at the wee diagram of the titration set up, you'll see that the H2SO4 conc. is 0.1M.

you know that n = c * v(litres)

Therefore:
n = 0.1 * (20/1000)
n = 0.002 moles

(d) Use link-proportion :biggrin:

If 1 mol H2SO4 reacts with 2 mol KOH
Therefore, 0.002 mol reacts with 0.004 mol KOH

So the answer is 0.004 mol KOH :biggrin:

You know how you did 0.1 * (20/1000) did you divide the 20 by 1000 to show the volume in litres??
Reply 32
Original post by -Neuro-
It's probably even wierder that I enjoy doing maths past papers...
History is probably the worst although thats purely because my arms feel fatigued afterwards.

Tell me about it !!

Answers are like essays !

Im worried about history, i only have one day to study it and didnt focus much on it before, hm !:angry::angry::angry:
Reply 33
Original post by nerd434
Which subjects are you doing for Higher?

Advanced Higher Mathematics
Higher English
Higher Biology
Higher Chemistry
Higher Physics

What about you?

Original post by Aay
Tell me about it !!

Answers are like essays !

Im worried about history, i only have one day to study it and didnt focus much on it before, hm !:angry::angry::angry:

I am just going to read my notes twice or three times over then move onto past papers. I have only one day before it as well! Do you have biology as well?

Who on this thread wants to do medicine?
Reply 34
I got early presented.
The school made me sit my Standard grades in 2nd year and I will be sitting my Higher maths this year.
So yeah, I will be doing AH maths next year. :smile:

What subjects are you doing next year? I think you are doing exactly the same subjects as me this year, I've seen you on quite a few threads.
Reply 35
No I'm doing it a year, so I'll be doing 4 highers and an advanced higher. Will you be sitting Int biology next year? Will be doing normal biology in 6th year or human biology?

I know I someon in my maths class whose doing the same subjects as you and who kind of wants to do medicine as well!
AH Maths and H Maths, WOW :biggrin: And now I feel dumb because I'm doing Int2 next year. Lol :biggrin:
Why am I doing int1 this year anyway? No idea... but 100% for an exam, here I come!
Next year I'm doing Higher Chemistry, Biology, Geography, English and Int2 Maths :P

Anyway, how is your chemistry revision going?
Reply 37
Original post by nerd434
That'll be quite tough! Good luck with it!
Yeah I'll be sitting Biology next year along with my Highers, I'm just going to work through it each day! My school's Biology teacher said he would help me out if I wasn't understanding anything so I think I should be alright.

What are you hoping for in your Standard Grades? You're doing seven I presume :awesome:?

Aww thank you! Good luck with your 5 higher + Int 2 as well, the Int 2 should be fine as biology is mostly memorisation and graphs.

Yep I'm doing 7!
I'm hoping for straight 1's. But as I have OCD, when I say straight 1's I mean 1's in every element for each subject :blushing: Is it just me or does anyone else do that?

Are you going for 1's as well?
Original post by nerd434
I did Intermediate 2 this year, my exams in 1.5 weeks! It's quite a weird course, some of it is a slightly difficult whilst the rest is really straight forward.

If you're not completely confident, it's always better to start with an Intermediate 2 then progress to Higher and get a much better grade!

Chemistry seems to be going well for me, I'm getting around 80% in the past papers for both KU and PS. I'm going to focus on French past papers in a little while anyway. How about you? Is Chemistry your next exam or do you have French as well?

Yeah Chemistry in my next exam :smile: I'm doing Spanish instead of French and my exam is on 1st of June, so I have a lot of time to revise :wink:
Reply 39
Original post by nerd434
I know what you mean yeah haha! I'm going for all A's/1's but I think I might get a few 2's to be honest.

Especially with Physics,I thought it was my strongest subject but in the exam I panicked because I didn't think I had enough time and I made so many stupid mistakes! I definitely think I'll get a 2, not sure about a 1.. I'll need some luck :sad:!

I know it's early but have you considered whether you would apply to Scottish universities for Medicine or are you thinking about English ones as well?

They will definately lower the pass mark this year. It was harder than nearly all the other past papers. So you will probably get a 1. I'm think I may have a 1,1 :s-smilie: will just need to wait till August I guess. I might visit my physics teacher to see approximately how well I did though.

I'm thinking of doing 1 English and 3 Scottish unis for medicine. What about yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending