The Student Room Group

How do mathematicians know when to stop?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Rubgish
Mathematical knowledge is like an inverse pyramid, you start at the very bottom with just a very limited number of ideas, and you can build on top of these ideas to discover knew and interesting things. Some blocks expand the pyramid upwards, providing a foundation for new knowledge, and others just fill in gaps that were missing from the lower levels, but whatever is discovered the pyramid just keeps on growing.

Eventually there might be a point where rather than getting wider, the pyramid starts shrinking as it gets higher, this point would be where we have complete mathematical theories of whole branches of mathematics and there are no new questions to be asked. The chance of this actually happening any time in the foreseeable future is pretty negligible though, if it ever happens. :smile:

Every block creates some more blocks, because every theorem brings in some more ideas which mathematicians can work on. Hence, it is a never ending process.
Reply 21
If mathematics is the queen of sciences then psychology is the duchess of york
Reply 22
Original post by raheem94
How it doesn't benefits the society?

Can you explain it.

bletchly park cracked the enigma and beat the nazis... Yay!
Original post by the bear
If mathematics is the queen of sciences then psychology is the duchess of york

:biggrin:
Original post by thomaskurian89
First the natural numbers were invented for counting. Then, we had to invent addition and subtraction. Multiplication and division soon followed. As if this wasn't enough, mathematicians invented exponentiation for repeated multiplication.

Theoretically, it is possible to keep creating infinitely many theorems and formulas in infinitely many branches of mathematics. So, how do mathematicians know when to stop?

Mathematicians don't study mathematics for its usefulness, it just happens to be a nice by-product. Your question is like asking when musicians will choose to stop composing music. They enjoy doing it and it happens to be useful in some way.
Reply 25
well i believe that maths itself is what mathematicians use to express the language of nature, or at least the way in which we can describe and interpret it into a model that we can use to develop our understanding of nature and physics and how it all works.

as long as we live in our natural world, exploration into the 'maths' of it will probably always continue, whether it be in pure maths or in the applied mathematics of computer science or in economics etc. and why shouldn't it?

so i guess mathematicians will never stop.
Reply 26
But what's the point of just going on and on if it doesn't benefit society?

Well we keep finding new things with new and interesting applications, so we're a long way from that being an issue.

But anyway, that's not why we do maths.
Reply 27

Why do you think it doesn't benefit society?
Reply 28
Original post by Bobifier
Why do you think it doesn't benefit society?

I do not think that. I said "What's the point of developing a certain branch of mathematics if it doesn't benefit society?"
Reply 29
Except that learning about maths isn't the same as learning about life. People should learn about stars so that they can appreciate nature.

But any branch of mathematics is just a human invention. Since we could (in theory) invent infinitely many branches of mathematics, how do we decide which branch is more worthy of study than the other? It has to be based on the usefulness.
I do not think that. I said "What's the point of developing a certain branch of mathematics if it doesn't benefit society?"

Because people like Mathematics and the point of the subject is not about benefiting society.
Reply 31
Except that learning about maths isn't the same as learning about life. People should learn about stars so that they can appreciate nature.

But any branch of mathematics is just a human invention. Since we could (in theory) invent infinitely many branches of mathematics, how do we decide which branch is more worthy of study than the other? It has to be based on the usefulness.

But you can't tell the utility of something that you haven't discovered yet.
Reply 32

Allow me to rephrase - what makes you think there can exist a branch of mathematics that cannot benefit society?
From what little I know of maths: real mathematicians stop when they go mad or die.
Reply 34
Allow me to rephrase - what makes you think there can exist a branch of mathematics that cannot benefit society?

Given that we could create a branch of mathematics about anything under the sun, isn't it more likely that it won't benefit society than that it will?
Reply 35
Given that we could create a branch of mathematics about anything under the sun, isn't it more likely that it won't benefit society than that it will?

Can you explain why this is the case?
Reply 36
How does a painting or poem benefit society? It may draw a response from the viewer/reader. Same thing with aspects of maths, what's the point in society if there's nothing to enjoy? So maths has infinite applications an it's also incredibly satisfying.
Reply 37

You miss the point of art completely.
Reply 38
Can you explain why this is the case?

Suppose we were living in primitive times and had just invented the decimal system for counting. Inventing the binary system then would not benefit society.

"Number theory of Roman numerals" is another branch of maths that could be invented today but will probably not benefit society.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
Suppose we were living in primitive times and had just invented the decimal system for counting. Inventing the binary system then would not benefit society.

"Number theory of Roman numerals" is another branch of maths that could be invented today but will probably not benefit society.

You have pointed out that in a single time (not even of relevance to our society), a single development in mathematics would not have improved things. This in no way serves to back up your claim that almost all maths is unbeneficial. I suspect that the reason you are struggling to back your claim up is that actually it is false.

Quick Reply

Latest