The Student Room Group

Snooker

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marcusmerehay

Spoiler

:lol:

:biggrin:
Not sure if i like the effect this world championship has had on snooker. My locals been packed with all sort of hoodlums giving it a go. I even saw someone take two shots when their opponent made a foul.
I think the best thing for snooker would be to have uk champs just for uk players. China champs same. How is it a uk championship with chinese players? Itd be good for chinese snooker too because their players would get tournament experience. I see no point at all to a german open. Americans dont have uk open baseball. In basketball anyone can compete in the world champs and set up their own stuff for domestic and regional comps.
Original post by Gary Barlow
Not sure if i like the effect this world championship has had on snooker. My locals been packed with all sort of hoodlums giving it a go. I even saw someone take two shots when their opponent made a foul.

[video="youtube;r8gqsN7-g3w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8gqsN7-g3w[/video]

:wink:

I hate people who watch like one world championship final and then think they know everything about the game. :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
I hate people who watch like one world championship final and then think they know everything about the game. :rolleyes:

Most people I know have slightly different rules for pub pool. Ive always started from behind the white spot after a potted white for example. I gather thats incorrect. No reason people shouldnt enjoy the game. More important to agree such things before starting than being correct.

Plus, if hoodlums are playing snookr I think thats a good thing. Cue sports give young people something more constructive than hanging around drnking white cider to spend leisure time doing.
(edited 11 years ago)
I liked the nations cup. :frown:
Original post by green.tea
I liked the nations cup. :frown:

Would be good if a UK v China thing developed in the near future. Would be worth it just to see the BBC's field day with all the dramatic montages of east meets west, capitalism v communism.
I have no tolerance for these miscreants, i even saw an occasion where a player fluked a shot and did not apologise to his opponent.

Nah but in all seriousness theres been quite a few more rowdy drunkards in who bowl in after getting kicked out the pub and cause a ruckus, spilling drinks on tables and the like.
Would be good if a UK v China thing developed in the near future. Would be worth it just to see the BBC's field day with all the dramatic montages of east meets west, capitalism v communism.

Yeah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_World_Cup_(snooker)

^ I didnt know about that

The nations cups bigger teams were better tho.

Since china has taken to our game so well we could have something like the ashes with them.
I have no tolerance for these miscreants, i even saw an occasion where a player fluked a shot and did not apologise to his opponent.

Nah but in all seriousness theres been quite a few more rowdy drunkards in who bowl in after getting kicked out the pub and cause a ruckus, spilling drinks on tables and the like.

Thats no good. No entry after what ever time they usually appear may be a good policy.
Reply 391
I think the best thing for snooker would be to have uk champs just for uk players. China champs same. How is it a uk championship with chinese players? Itd be good for chinese snooker too because their players would get tournament experience. I see no point at all to a german open. Americans dont have uk open baseball. In basketball anyone can compete in the world champs and set up their own stuff for domestic and regional comps.

One of the dumbest things I've read on TSR in a long while.
Original post by mau5
One of the dumbest things I've read on TSR in a long while.

Whys that? Should we have brazil in euro football?

The UK Championship was first held in 1977 in Tower Circus, Blackpool as the United Kingdom Professional Snooker Championship, an event open only to British residents and passport holders. Patsy Fagan won, beating Doug Mountjoy by 12 frames to 9, to win £2000. The following year the event moved to the Guild Hall, Preston, where it remained until 1998.[1]
The rules were changed in 1984 when the tournament was granted ranking status and all professionals were allowed to enter. Since then, it has carried more ranking points than any tournament other than the World Championship.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Championship_(snooker)

'twas the original idea

Id appreciate not being addressed in that particular tone in future.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 393

Should Jenson Button & Lewis Hamilton be the only ones allowed to race in the british GP, Andy Murray @ Wimbledon?
Original post by Lyrically
Should Jenson Button & Lewis Hamilton be the only ones allowed to race in the british GP, Andy Murray @ Wimbledon?

Thats altogether different. Champion of a place generally means what it it says.
Reply 395

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Championship_(snooker)

'twas the original idea

Id appreciate not being addressed in that particular tone in future.

A world ranking event that only UK players are allowed to enter, yeah I can't see why that would be stupid.
Original post by mau5
A world ranking event that only UK players are allowed to enter, yeah I can't see why that would be stupid.

Your clearly missing the point of my suggestion. I'm talking about localisation being the way international sports work best.

Premier league, champions league type organisation.
Reply 397
Your clearly missing the point of my suggestion. I'm talking about localisation being the way international sports work best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_%28sport%29

Well let it be called that then. I can see no downside to my suggestion other than the player selection for internationals having to be re thought.

Can you see a point to a german open when no players are from there?

Localised tournaments would give players from other places a chance to play tournament snooker and build it up. You dont promote football in the us by sending man utd and liverpool so none of their teams get a look in.
Reply 399

Oh dear. :facepalm2:

Quick Reply

Latest