The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

I just can't wait to walk around in my boxers after showering and having all the girls eye me up!!!!!!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Hi! I have one practical question - when you were in your first year and lived close to campus, did you buy an oyster card? I was wondering whether it is worth investing in it...Thanks!
Original post by Dominika4
Hi! I have one practical question - when you were in your first year and lived close to campus, did you buy an oyster card? I was wondering whether it is worth investing in it...Thanks!

I'm not a UCL student but I am a Londoner and seeing as its only £5 for the card its worth getting even if you will only be getting the bus/tube occasionally.
Am I right in saying that if you have put, say, £150 p/w as the max you're willing to pay for accomodation, they won't allocate you accommodation that costs more than that?
i just firmed ucl. should i be expecting an email to confirm that change as well as instruct me on further steps such as accommodation or should i just go to the website to apply.
Original post by dirtyoldriver
I think the point is that it goes in a sort of three tier allocation for shared rooms:

People who have put a shared room price limit/expressly asked to share will be given the first ones.
As these people will likely not fill up all the shared rooms, they are then filled with people who are "willing to share".
If there are still shared rooms left over, they will be filled with people who said they did not want to share even if there are no single rooms available (so basically the question is worded pointlessly/is pointless) but I'd imagine this would be people who put a lower price limit, or put priorities that fit in line with the shared accommodation rather than shoving someone who wanted a catered en suite intercollegiate room in there.

Hope that makes sense - it's partly just my own speculation but I'd imagine this is sort of how it works.

Oh god, I really hope i end up in a single room. btw, Ive decided not to do the prayer and snoring excuse lol. Im just gonna leave it and hope for the best.

But I had one last question, Do I have to completely fill my room preference list? As in I have only 2 preferences : Single room, and single room ensuite (both student houses) I dont want to choose twin rooms so I have left out the remaining 3 preferences list. Is that Okay?

Finally, (so sorry about this) but what accommodation do you think will I get?
My most important factor is single room. Max spending a week is £200. Preferences are single room and single ensuite. I am not willing to share even if no single room available.:redface:
Original post by plummango
Oh god, I really hope i end up in a single room. btw, Ive decided not to do the prayer and snoring excuse lol. Im just gonna leave it and hope for the best.

But I had one last question, Do I have to completely fill my room preference list? As in I have only 2 preferences : Single room, and single room ensuite (both student houses) I dont want to choose twin rooms so I have left out the remaining 3 preferences list. Is that Okay?

Finally, (so sorry about this) but what accommodation do you think will I get?
My most important factor is single room. Max spending a week is £200. Preferences are single room and single ensuite. I am not willing to share even if no single room available.:redface:

I don't actually know how that works - we didn't have a list like that. We were allowed one priority, and our only list was where we prioritised catered/self catered/intercollegiate.

As you have put £200 I wouldn't be surprised if you were put in one of the en suite accommodations as there is a limited amount of people who can afford them, but there's no way of telling which one and that could be well off the mark - the allocations can be so random by the looks of things in the past.
Original post by dirtyoldriver
I don't actually know how that works - we didn't have a list like that. We were allowed one priority, and our only list was where we prioritised catered/self catered/intercollegiate.

As you have put £200 I wouldn't be surprised if you were put in one of the en suite accommodations as there is a limited amount of people who can afford them, but there's no way of telling which one and that could be well off the mark - the allocations can be so random by the looks of things in the past.

Oh don't worry about it, Im gonna leave it as 2 filled spaces and 3 empty spaces.

Also Thanks so much man, for all the help you've provided, especially since you've done all of this complicated annoying procedure before and are still willing to help! :smile:
Original post by yakuzakitty
Am I right in saying that if you have put, say, £150 p/w as the max you're willing to pay for accomodation, they won't allocate you accommodation that costs more than that?

Yeah. That's exactly what I did
EDIT: Wrong thread.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi everybody!

I have recently received an unconditional offer from UCL for a masters at the cancer institute near Euston square station. I live in East London but was looking to move out for the year while I do my masters and essentially aim to live near the University to decrease costs on travel. I'm debating whether to look at UCL residential halls or look out for rooms in a shared house. I would preferably like to spend between 80-100 pounds per week if possible! (may be slightly optimistic). If anyone has any suggestions on good postgraduate accommodaton whether it be residential halls or a landlord's property that would be great! Ideally it would be walking distance from euston square/warren street station!

Cheers
Original post by sumergocogito
i just firmed ucl. should i be expecting an email to confirm that change as well as instruct me on further steps such as accommodation or should i just go to the website to apply.

Just go to the website and apply. You don't even need to have firmed to apply. :smile:

Do it now :smile:
Original post by LiamSP
I've made UCL my insurance for physics, but haven't received any emails regarding accomadation, is this normal ?

There is no email. You just apply through the general UCL website.

You're not guaranteed accommodation because it is you insurance but you can and should still apply, otherwise you'll definitely have nowhere to live if you miss Imperial's grades.
I want to apply for accommodation but I don't have a UCL userid! Where did you get yours?
Original post by Oliviertje1994
I want to apply for accommodation but I don't have a UCL userid! Where did you get yours?

I think you select "i don't know" if your applying for first year undergrade. That's what I did as they are yet to issue you an ID card until you study there. But I am holding UCL as my insurance if it makes any differance, I'm not sure.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by studentofskhs
I think you select "i don't know" if your applying for first year undergrade. That's what I did as they are yet to issue you an ID card until you study there. But I am holding UCL as my insurance if it makes any differance, I'm not sure.

And how do I know my UCL student number which is required for me to register?
Original post by Oliviertje1994
And how do I know my UCL student number which is required for me to register?

Your student number is the one named ´´Our Reference´´ on your offer letter:smile:.

And just to clarify (based on your previous posts) - you do not need to have a userid to apply for an accommodation. On the first page of the online application it is made clear how you should apply - not with userid, but as a new student you get into the system with your name/email address/...then you get into your application where you use your student number (if i remember it correctly - i was also applying as a first year student...)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by nathgooner
Yeah. That's exactly what I did

Oh good! Having just found out that I'll be getting a larger loan that I'd first thought, I'm trying to change my 'most important factor' to single room, as I think I'd have a panic attack if I had to share... But I still can't really afford more than £150 a week.
Reply 6598
Hi everyone, I applied online in March but am not sure if my application went through.

There is no Submit button and it currently says 'Pending'. I´ve completed all sections, but there was no confirmation/acknowledgement email. Should I worry?
Original post by eduleal
Hi everyone, I applied online in March but am not sure if my application went through.

There is no Submit button and it currently says 'Pending'. I´ve completed all sections, but there was no confirmation/acknowledgement email. Should I worry?

lol "should I worry" as if worrying is ever an optional choice

dont worry about it, I gave my application in too and it also says pending on mine, as well as lots of people that have completed the application.

Did you submit your photograph and confirm all your details? If so then no need to worry :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending