The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F212 (Molecules, Biodiversity, Food and Health)- 21st May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Jan 12 paper + MS
Reply 121
Original post by Treacle2
Send it in an inbox message i think? or i can give you my email address and you can email it to me?

Original post by livingforthefuture
If you don't mind can you send it o me as well

The paper + MS is above and this is the link if you need any more papers http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1943168
Reply 122
Original post by has87
I'm scared that Biodiversity and CITES is going to come up, I really hate those topics, :unimpressed: everything else is alright though.

Me too, I can't get them to stick in my head :s-smilie: And they nearly always come up :frown:
I did the January 2012 exam as a mock a couple of weeks back and barely scraped an A. I'm hoping the grade boundaries for the May one will be similar though, it would be very beneficial!
does anyone have the examiners report for jan f212 2012?
can someone please explain the difference between glycogen, amylose and amylopectin.

also do we need to know about microfibrils and macrofibrils when describing the structure and function of cellulose.

thanks
Original post by undertaker1
can someone please explain the difference between glycogen, amylose and amylopectin.

also do we need to know about microfibrils and macrofibrils when describing the structure and function of cellulose.

thanks

glycogen is the energy storage molecule in animals. It is made up of alpha glucose subunits bonded together by 1,4 glcosidic bonds. There are many branches which makes it compact and easy to break of bits and generate/release energy. it is very compact so good for storage.

Amylose and amylopectin are storage molecules in plants. Amylose is a straight chain and coils to make it compact and good for storage while amylopectin is branched so can be broken down easily so glucose(energy) can be released

hope this helps
glycogen is the energy storage molecule in animals. It is made up of alpha glucose subunits bonded together by 1,4 glcosidic bonds. There are many branches which makes it compact and easy to break of bits and generate/release energy. it is very compact so good for storage.

Amylose and amylopectin are storage molecules in plants. Amylose is a straight chain and coils to make it compact and good for storage while amylopectin is branched so can be broken down easily so glucose(energy) can be released

hope this helps

hi shall we ask each other questions?

hope this helps

thanks for your help

so animals dont have amylose and amylopectin. and how does this link with starch???

thanks
does anyone have any questions on the health and disease topics?
Original post by volvicstar
does anyone have any questions on the health and disease topics?

can u ask me questions
Reply 133
Original post by Sharyn
Me too, I can't get them to stick in my head :s-smilie: And they nearly always come up :frown:

I know :frown: also sampling techniques etc. OCR are a really mean board when it comes to boring topics -_-:mad:
Original post by has87
I know :frown: also sampling techniques etc. OCR are a really mean board when it comes to boring topics -_-:mad:

shall we ask questions?
Original post by otrivine
shall we ask questions?

what is the difference between a pathogen and parasite?
what is the difference between a pathogen and parasite?

parasite-is an organism that lives in other living things and causes harm to its host such as tapeworm .
Pathogen- an organism that causes disease
Have a feeling a questions on microorganisms and food will come up!
thanks for your help

so animals dont have amylose and amylopectin. and how does this link with starch???

thanks

Well starch is coincidensly made up to those molecules. And only plants contain them.

Original post by has87

Tell me about it. I mean biodiversity, sample them and then count them.. just leave the little insects alone.

Original post by puddinboy

Haven't really revised or even looked over it. I was away in the period of teaching in my school. So yh a lot to catch up.
Reply 139
Original post by puddinboy

I agree. To my knowledge it hasn't come up before? It's about time to be honest. We'll see..!

Quick Reply