The Student Room Group

Anyone else missing school because of revision?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ambrin ox
Just saw this thread, I am taking days off too, because I actually really need it, we have finished the syllabus so i dont see the point of going in anymore, but im so scared what if college says smth about attendance, my 1st exam is next week, :frown: i have too much to do, and not enough time so confused

Join the club :/ But seriously being on this study leave has helped me sooooo much and i mean so much! Just call in sick if you get the grades thats what really matter in the end! Does unis look at attendance?
dont you get study leave? the yr 11s and 12s at my school and the neighbouring schools get it from friday and finish it at half term (yr 12 only).. and then we (year 13) start
Reply 42
Original post by Jack_Smith
Join the club :/ But seriously being on this study leave has helped me sooooo much and i mean so much! Just call in sick if you get the grades thats what really matter in the end! Does unis look at attendance?

well seeing as i have all 5 offers, i dont see how it does affect it, my friend had the worst attendance he got into uni fine, im sure its about ur grades, good attendance looks nice on ur personal statement but i think thats it really.
Original post by ambrin ox
well seeing as i have all 5 offers, i dont see how it does affect it, my friend had the worst attendance he got into uni fine, im sure its about ur grades, good attendance looks nice on ur personal statement but i think thats it really.

Well considering its your A2 its even more important so hell with school! =D and Well done on the 5 offers! Hard to even get 1 nowadays!
Reply 44
Yep I do this.
I don’t learn anything in lessons and have to teach it all myself anyway when I get home. So I might as well not bother going in and give myself more time to revise. We've tried to get the college to give us an authorised absence the day before an exam but the college made this statement:
‘Last minute revision in lessons is very valuable so we don’t want to start study leave earlier than we can help.. It is usually far more valuable to be in a lesson than to have the time for revision.’
Utter rubbish I say. I can see why last minute revision in lessons is good for the people who don’t bother doing any independent revision at home. But for those of us who do all our revision at home going into lessons is wasting time that could be better spent!!! :angry:
Reply 45
Original post by Jack_Smith
Well considering its your A2 its even more important so hell with school! =D and Well done on the 5 offers! Hard to even get 1 nowadays!

Thank you :smile: I had to work really hard for this, just hoping that it doesnt go to waste and I can get into my choice of univresity, but i have really never taken days off, just the fact that now i dont really have a choice, I dont see any other option.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by -Haz-
‘Last minute revision in lessons is very valuable so we don’t want to start study leave earlier than we can help.. It is usually far more valuable to be in a lesson than to have the time for revision.’
Utter rubbish I say. I can see why last minute revision in lessons is good for the people who don’t bother doing any independent revision at home. But for those of us who do all our revision at home going into lessons is wasting time that could be better spent!!! :angry:

Agreed! And if you revise independantly you can concentrate on each exam as it comes.
Original post by -Haz-
Yep I do this.
I don’t learn anything in lessons and have to teach it all myself anyway when I get home. So I might as well not bother going in and give myself more time to revise. We've tried to get the college to give us an authorised absence the day before an exam but the college made this statement:

And i thought my school was bad :/ your school is out of order :angry:
I started my own study leave last week :wink: 4 weeks early. Oops.
Reply 49
No
I've been taking days off just because I hate it so much :ha:
Reply 51
Yes! I took today off
Reply 52
If what the revision lessons the teachers are arranging aren't helping you then surely it's more beneficial for you to take the day off and structure your own revision.

I've been doing this as well but yet i'm still feeling hopelessly unprepared.
Reply 53
Yeah, I'm an A2 student though so I don't think it matters because we aren't being taught new content for next year.
Missing school is probably for the best because at least you can learn in the way you feel best with :smile: as long as you're not missing any content for next year!
Reply 54
Original post by Doofy
Yeah, I'm an A2 student though so I don't think it matters because we aren't being taught new content for next year.
Missing school is probably for the best because at least you can learn in the way you feel best with :smile: as long as you're not missing any content for next year!

But what im scared about is the whole attendance thing and the college taking any serious action, u reckon they would for A2?
...last year I didn't = biggest mistake.
...this year, I did.

...because at least a month before the exam, you should already know the content... to the point where teachers can no longer teach you content, what I do is just ask them for things I'm not sure off. They can go off-topic sometimes, or even make the pace of a lesson very slow.

...that's how I see it. But that's just me. I did better in Biology this year than last year, because of self-studying. Always better than relying on teachers, coz that's gonna fail you.

...well, my case is that do 1 subject in 1 college. Where I do English Lang/Lit, Classics and History, I have a study leave. But for Biology, I don't (but I missed lessons for it).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by BLu_REdEmTiON
...last year I didn't = biggest mistake.
...this year, I did.

...because at least a month before the exam, you should already know the content... to the point where teachers can no longer teach you content, what I do is just ask them for things I'm not sure off. They can go off-topic sometimes, or even make the pace of a lesson very slow.

...that's how I see it. But that's just me. I did better in Biology this year than last year, because of self-studying. Always better than relying on teachers, coz that's gonna fail you.

...well, my case is that do 1 subject in 1 college. Where I do English Lang/Lit, Classics and History, I have a study leave. But for Biology, I don't (but I missed lessons for it).

Did you get in trouble for it? I am scared, I mean we have finished and now i just want to study independently rather than travelling miles everyday,
I'm in year 13 and I haven't been to school for any of the last week, planning on skipping next week too. Basically after the Easter holidays, I attended the first week but quickly found out it was a waste of time for me so I decided stop as I could achieve more work if I stayed at home.

...and yes I'm Indian before anyone asks, almost all absentees are Indian in my school lol. My school don't really care, except for one or two teachers but they do care if they know you're skipping school not to do any work.
Just to people in Year 12 who think attendance will affect UCAS etc, it won't, for the most part universities don't care - getting the grades is the most important thing. I don't think sixth forms are allowed to say something negative on your reference anyway. :smile:
yep - took the last two weeks off as I revise better alone from home and i've done all the past papers we'd be doing in class anyway. I'm a mature student so there's not much they can do about it but I did the same the first time round anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest