The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Llewellyn
:dry::dry::dry::dry::dry::dry::dry:

I got it right :woo:
Reply 961
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
They should've been famous then :biggrin: Yh he kinda reshaped English :smile:
Ahhh I see (even though I've heard of none of the plays of books you've mentioned).
Oh husband of Marilyn Monroe :smile:
But they're so time consuming; I don't even read maths books!

They are famous! :tongue: Invented it more like, we owe so many words to him :yep:
You should be more well-read then :tongue: They are :sogood:
Yes, her third, I believe.
The more you read, the faster you get :tongue: Maths books are boring, so I don't blame you :lol:

Actually, speaking of maths books, has anyone heard of/read the book "Number Freak"?
Ok so this is interesting question. If you plan to become a pirate, listen clos'ly me hearties...

There are 5 pirates. Each with a rank from 5th (lowest) to 1st (Cap'n). These 5 pirates have stol'n 100 gold coins. But they have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all extremely intelligent, treacherous and selfish. Especially the cap'n.

The cap'n always proposes how to distribute the loot. All pirates vote on the proposal, and if 50% of the crew or more go "Aye", the loot is divided exactly proposed, as no pirate would be willing to fight an unfair battle...

If the cap'n fails to obtain support of at least half his crew (which includes himself), he faces a mutiny, all of the pirates will turn against him and make him walk the plank into the murky depths below... The pirates start over again with the next senior pirate as cap'n.

What is the maximum number of coins the cap'n can keep without risking his life? How must he propose this deal?

Spoiler

Original post by Etoile
:sad:

Stanza from a poem we studied today:

Let me sometimes dance
With you,
Or climb
Or stand perchance
In ecstasy,
Fixed and free
In a rhyme
As poets do.

(From Words, by Edward Thomas)
Nice, no? :redface:

That is quite nice :tumble:

Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
You picked the wrong subject :frown:

I agree with you on the last part though :K:

Part of me wishes I had so I could do physics and philosophy :moon:
Original post by chickenonsteroids

Spoiler

Correct! :biggrin:

Spoiler

You'd make a good con-artist pirate :wink:

You'd make a good con-artist pirate :wink:

My life long dream :mmm:
Reply 966
That is quite nice :tumble:

Part of me wishes I had so I could do physics and philosophy :moon:

It also leads to natural comparisons with Hamlet: "to sleep, perchance to dream" :love:
Ok so this is interesting question. If you plan to become a pirate, listen clos'ly me hearties...

There are 5 pirates. Each with a rank from 5th (lowest) to 1st (Cap'n). These 5 pirates have stol'n 100 gold coins. But they have to divide up the loot. The pirates are all extremely intelligent, treacherous and selfish. Especially the cap'n.

The cap'n always proposes how to distribute the loot. All pirates vote on the proposal, and if 50% of the crew or more go "Aye", the loot is divided exactly proposed, as no pirate would be willing to fight an unfair battle...

If the cap'n fails to obtain support of at least half his crew (which includes himself), he faces a mutiny, all of the pirates will turn against him and make him walk the plank into the murky depths below... The pirates start over again with the next senior pirate as cap'n.

What is the maximum number of coins the cap'n can keep without risking his life? How must he propose this deal?

Spoiler

Yargh, upon reading chickenonsteroid's answer, I have realised that I was being too nice/thought about it too deeply... dayumn. :lol:
Original post by Maths_Lover

Spoiler

You're being too soft on 4th and 5th. Remember, if the motion is not passed, the next in rank becomes cap'n (and so forth) until a decision is made.

Spoiler

Edit: Good, you have learned the valuable lesson today; there is no such thing as "too ruthless"
(edited 11 years ago)

Edit: Good, you have learned the valuable lesson today; there is no such thing as "too ruthless"

Indeed. :lol:

Spoiler

Okay so pirate question MARK 2!!!!!!!!!!

The cap'n survived to live with the maximum number of coins because he was chickenonsteriods and not maths_lover. The 5 pirates are joined by a 6th, then they attack a ship with only 1 coin.

Being greedy pirates, they are very angry at this, and so they kill all the prisoners. However, they now need to split up the 1 coin. Due to their prolific anger, this is their new list of priorities:

1 - Their lives
2 - Getting coins
3 - Seeing any other pirates walk the plank.

{If given the choice between two outcomes, in which they get the same amount of money, they all would choose the outcome where they get to see more of the other pirates die.}

How can the captain save his skin? In fact, can he save his skin?
(edited 11 years ago)
Okay so pirate question MARK 2!!!!!!!!!!

The cap'n survived to live because he was chickenonsteriods and not maths_lover. The 5 pirates are joined by a 6th, then they attack a ship with only 1 coin.

Being greedy pirates, they are very angry at this, and so they kill all the prisoners. However, they now need to split up the 1 coin. Due to their prolific anger, this is their new list of priorities:

1 - Their lives
2 - Getting coins
3 - Seeing any other pirates walk the plank.

{If given the choice between two outcomes, in which they get the same amount of money, they all would choose the outcome where they get to see more of the other pirates die.}

How can the captain save his skin? In fact, can he save his skin?

Spoiler

EDIT:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 973
I just wrote an introduction to my essay that took up half the page :facepalm:

Spoiler

EDIT:

Spoiler

Your edit is correct :smile:
Indeed. :lol:

Spoiler

Yeah working out it was the 4th and 5th was the tricky part (you have to consider various outcomes) but you were too soft :sigh:
(edited 11 years ago)
Your edit is correct :smile:

:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

Spoiler

Hard question

Spoiler

Spoiler

Very, very close, you have the correct approach (most people don't think of what you did).

However, you cannot judge "half of the original string remains" for the sake of this question
I don't have £3500 (cheapest deal I could get for a second hand one) to burn on any more woodwind instruments.. :colonhash:

I asked my mum to buy me a Cor. She said no. :frown:

I bought my oboe for £1800. :u:
Second hand. :colone::colone:
Very, very close, you have the correct approach (most people don't think of what you did).

However, you cannot judge "half of the original string remains" for the sake of this question

Thanks. :smile:

I knew it! I was sat there thinking "but how would you know that it was half gone?" but I decided to post it anyway. :lol:

Oh gawd... it's so obvious now. :rolleyes:

Spoiler