The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im quite unsure of immunology :confused:
so can someone please explain the ethics of vaccines and monoclonal antibodies
Original post by BubbleGum25
:bubbles: Just thought i'd make a thread for anyone who needs help
only a month left now
i've revised everything but havent yet dun any past papers.
i've attached some past papers if anyone needs them
:borat: gud luck everyone

yeh time has goen so quickly, so nervous! are u doing resit?
Reply 3
Ooh thanks a lot for the past paper links :smile:
Reply 4
resitting. Gonna really watch the time on this one, last time i left almost 2 pages blank :facepalm:
Reply 5
hey guys by the way do you have any prediction for the likelihood of what might come up?
Reply 6
Original post by khimmy
hey guys by the way do you have any prediction for the likelihood of what might come up?

Atheroma
non-functional enzyme
enzyme(inhibitions/models)
1/2 lung disease questions
Reply 7
Original post by Abbers
Atheroma
non-functional enzyme
enzyme(inhibitions/models)
1/2 lung disease questions

Do you think that this will be all?
Wont they ask about any tests?
This thread is a bit dead! How is everyone feeling? 4 days to go! :O

Does anyone find the Nelson Thornes textbook a bit.. meh? To start with I didn't use my revision guide at all because I thought it wouldn't go into enough detail but there are some key points missing in this textbook! Like for Unit 2 I don't think it mentioned introns anywhere. And there's some other stuff too- like about pulmonary tuberculosis and how smoking decreases the amount of antioxidants in the blood which protect cells from damage.

Past papers are the way forward! :smile:
Reply 9
do you think they'll ask stuff about vaccines and immunology and that stuff?
Reply 10
Original post by thescientist17

Does anyone find the Nelson Thornes textbook a bit.. meh? To start with I didn't use my revision guide at all because I thought it wouldn't go into enough detail but there are some key points missing in this textbook! Like for Unit 2 I don't think it mentioned introns anywhere. And there's some other stuff too- like about pulmonary tuberculosis and how smoking decreases the amount of antioxidants in the blood which protect cells from damage.

SERIOUSLY NOT READY :O
i know the stuff but the way its worded, i cant deal with :/
Reply 11

Hi, I didn't think it mentioned introns either! But my teacher found it for me today on page 137 of the nelson thornes textbook. They only touch slightly on it as its mainly an a2 question. I hope this helps. It's the little paragraph above the application info xx
Reply 12
Random Tips for this papers 2/3 Mark questions and how to answer them.

If it asks you a question on how an (competitive) inhibitor slows down an enzyme catalyzed reaction always mention:

That the inhibitor has a similar shape to the substrate which is complimentary to the enzyme

It occupies the enzymes active site

preventing enzyme substrate complexesfrom being formed

Questions stating why an enzyme is specific normally follows this route:

Enzyme has a specific tertiary structure

Thus a specific active site

Which is complimentary to the substrate

forming enzyme substrate complexes

Question regarding Antibodies and why they are specific follow this route:

it has Specific primary structure thus specific secondary and specific tertiary structure

Therefore it has a specific variable region which is complimentary to the antigen

forming Antigen-antibody complexes

Questions about what an antigen is always follows this route:

It is a protein

which triggers immune response

questions regarding emphysema always want you to mention these sort of things when it talks about reducing gas exchange efficiency:

Elastin is broken down in alveoli thus they cannot recoil

As they cannot recoil low concentrations of oxygen cannot be exhaled

thus a lower diffusion gradient

smaller surface area

therefore a longer diffusion pathway

I'm not saying these are correct but they tend to follow this pattern, there are more that i know of but these are the most common, if there are any errors tell me and sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by YazB7
Hi, I didn't think it mentioned introns either! But my teacher found it for me today on page 137 of the nelson thornes textbook. They only touch slightly on it as its mainly an a2 question. I hope this helps. It's the little paragraph above the application info xx

Oh thanks! :smile: It's amazing how easily you can look over information.. I guess because they don't really put emphasis on it and it's not in the definitions in the back.

But definitely unit 1 there is some stuff that it doesn't include! Like all the stuff on TB, if you wrote that for an exam answer it's not what they're asking for.
Reply 14
B would do me good.
Reply 15
Oh thanks! :smile: It's amazing how easily you can look over information.. I guess because they don't really put emphasis on it and it's not in the definitions in the back.

But definitely unit 1 there is some stuff that it doesn't include! Like all the stuff on TB, if you wrote that for an exam answer it's not what they're asking for.

Tbf I've given up on biology. I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than do a2. Unit 2 exam i'll be happy with an E, that's how bad it is
Hi, can I just ask...
For this exam do you need to know how the microscopes work?
eg. about the electron gun producing a beam?
Original post by ItsAnnaYay
Hi, can I just ask...
For this exam do you need to know how the microscopes work?
eg. about the electron gun producing a beam?

Yeah, you do

Edit: misread the thread title lol
Original post by SafaIqbal
do you think they'll ask stuff about vaccines and immunology and that stuff?

yeah they seem to whack that in every year - its always the page I do worst in on the past papers!
Reply 19
Can someone explain the lock and key and induced fit model? And how they differ?

Latest

Trending

Trending