The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by El Torres
Wait what? My brother has that phone and it's the same as any other, USB drive support. Have you checked the wrong settings or something? You can get SwiFTP on the market to make it wireless as well.

Note: This was at work, it's not my phone.

I appeared to only have the option to connect as a camera or MTP device. I run AOKP ICS on my Desire S and even that works fine as a USB drive. I dunno what is wrong with it tbh, but there was nothing in the settings that made me believe I could run USB drive mode at all. :sad:
Original post by theronkinator
Carphone Warehouse sent it off on our behalf, were told to bring the phone (minus sim/memory card), still doesn't excuse all the other faults which suggest they don't even test them.

CPW took forever to fix the phone I had before my current one. Over the course of 6 months IIRC I had to keep taking it back, but eventually they replaced it with a different model.
Original post by mikeyd85
Note: This was at work, it's not my phone.

I appeared to only have the option to connect as a camera or MTP device. I run AOKP ICS on my Desire S and even that works fine as a USB drive. I dunno what is wrong with it tbh, but there was nothing in the settings that made me believe I could run USB drive mode at all. :sad:

Have you checked the developer settings? Try a factory reset or take it to the nearest shop otherwise. It's definitely an option.
Have you checked the developer settings? Try a factory reset or take it to the nearest shop otherwise. It's definitely an option.

I did on your advice, nothing in there either. Perhaps the guy who owns it needs to do some sort of update. I've not much knowledge on it really as I don't have that phone. I do however know ICS really well and I'm surprised it isn't a standard option on his phone.
Hey guys. Does anyone know of an app where I can access my PC's folders using my phone? My PC is set to be accessible on my wifi network (so my dad's laptop can access all the files); but can it be accessed by phone?
Original post by hassi94
Hey guys. Does anyone know of an app where I can access my PC's folders using my phone? My PC is set to be accessible on my wifi network (so my dad's laptop can access all the files); but can it be accessed by phone?

There should be quite a few file managers that can do this. I think I've done it using ES File Manager before.
Original post by hassi94

You want a remote desktop. Splashtop. It isn't free.

You could make the folders public by putting them in the shared library thing. I don't know how you access them from a phone though, maybe through the browser.
You want a remote desktop. Splashtop. It isn't free.

Good piece of software that. I had it free when it was on GetJar. New version (IIRC) allows 3D rendering to be streamed too! :eek:
New Firefox beta. Actually quite good!
Reply 7549
Original post by hassi94

Do you know what type of file share it is? Is it a Samba share? That's likely if it's a Windows PC you're using. If you simply search 'samba' in the Play Store there should be a plethora of apps that do exactly what you want.
Original post by und
Do you know what type of file share it is? Is it a Samba share? That's likely if it's a Windows PC you're using. If you simply search 'samba' in the Play Store there should be a plethora of apps that do exactly what you want.

I tried a couple but they don't seem to do what I want to do. They all seem to be sharing the phone's files when I want to access my PC's files using my phone.

EDIT: Alex_hk's suggestion works great on my file manager (File Manager :tongue:)

Original post by alex_hk90
There should be quite a few file managers that can do this. I think I've done it using ES File Manager before.

Thank you!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hassi94
I tried a couple but they don't seem to do what I want to do. They all seem to be sharing the phone's files when I want to access my PC's files using my phone.

Pretty sure ES File Explorer should be able to do this.

Edit: Works fine on my work's domain share.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mikeyd85
Pretty sure ES File Explorer should be able to do this.

Yeah I just checked out File Manager and it does work (just before you posted :tongue:). Thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by hassi94
Yeah I just checked out File Manager and it does work (just before you posted :tongue:). Thanks a lot :smile:

Fair enough. I prefer ES myself, but File Manager is OK. Can't remember if it has root access though.
I thought I'd freshen up my HP Touchpad and finally installed CM9 latest Nightly yesterday. This tablet is pretty awesome on ICS. Fast, responsive and the interface looks lovely. I've been playing various videos too, easy via Mobo Player which seems to play anything, and the resolution is fantastic. Also Netflix is working like a dream. The only thing that refuses to work is the headphone socket. This didn't work on CM7 Gingerbread either.

I think I'll be using this tablet more often now. ICS rocks! It is as pretty as Web OS -- also notice how Android stole the swipe to side to close app.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by silent ninja
I thought I'd freshen up my HP Touchpad and finally installed CM9 latest Nightly yesterday. This tablet is pretty awesome on ICS. Fast, responsive and the interface looks lovely. I've been playing various videos too, easy via Mobo Player which seems to play anything, and the resolution is fantastic. Also Netflix is working like a dream. The only thing that refuses to work is the headphone socket. This didn't work on CM7 Gingerbread either.

I think I'll be using this tablet more often now. ICS rocks! It is as pretty as Web OS -- also notice how Android stole the swipe to side to close app.

I'm on CM7 Gingerbread, try ICS every so often, but I need the system status bar at the top! If you're going to keep up to date with the nightlies could you let me know when they add all the CM tweaks like that. Thanks.

Also headphone socket should work, works fine for me. Just done a quick google and it says in CM9 you have to plug them in BEFORE you start playing the media.
Original post by theronkinator
I'm on CM7 Gingerbread, try ICS every so often, but I need the system status bar at the top! If you're going to keep up to date with the nightlies could you let me know when they add all the CM tweaks like that. Thanks.

Also headphone socket should work, works fine for me. Just done a quick google and it says in CM9 you have to plug them in BEFORE you start playing the media.

Cool, didn't know that.

No I won't be doing the regular nightly updates. I update once and leave it for months lol I'm really not very techhy and followed Youtube to initially get CWM etc installed. I wouldn't even know how to update that and not having the latest version of Clockwork installed before flashing a ROM sounds a bit risky to me. The current nightly is fantastic. I haven't ran in to any issues yet-- I've never had Wifi issues on CM7 or CM9, but that seems to be the most common complaint. Chrome is available too.

The main difference is that the interface is more tablet friendly and aesthetically it's a major upgrade. Now, only if my SGS2 would look like that without the Touchwiz junk on it...
Reply 7557
Sounds like a good opportunity to develop that app! :smile: I'll get on it right away

Original post by hassi94
Reply 7558
Original post by silent ninja
Cool, didn't know that.

No I won't be doing the regular nightly updates. I update once and leave it for months lol I'm really not very techhy and followed Youtube to initially get CWM etc installed. I wouldn't even know how to update that and not having the latest version of Clockwork installed before flashing a ROM sounds a bit risky to me. The current nightly is fantastic. I haven't ran in to any issues yet-- I've never had Wifi issues on CM7 or CM9, but that seems to be the most common complaint. Chrome is available too.

The main difference is that the interface is more tablet friendly and aesthetically it's a major upgrade. Now, only if my SGS2 would look like that without the Touchwiz junk on it...

Root your S2 and install CM9 then :tongue:
Original post by lohoj
Root your S2 and install CM9 then :tongue:

Lol
Thought of doing that but I'll lose Sky Go. I occasionally watch sports on it when I'm out.

Latest

Trending

Trending