The Student Room Group

Official TSR Mathematical Society

Scroll to see replies

I would like to share the following problem, which, recently, appeared on high school olympiad.

Let f be a continuous function f:[0,1]Rf:[0,1] \rightarrow \mathbb{R} such that:
x1f(t)dt1x22\int_{x}^{1} f(t) \, dt \ge \frac{1-x^2}{2}, for any x[0,1]x \in [0,1]. Prove that 01f2(t)dt13\int_{0}^{1} f^2(t) \, dt \ge \frac{1}{3}.
Reply 3901
Can anyone help me on this problem - mechanics related
Original post by L'art pour l'art
I've completed the solution below in parts. If you have never done differentiation under the integral sign before, then try to study this solution perhaps; otherwise, use the spoilers to finish it yourself (asking any questions you might have in either case). But first let's get the differentiation out of the way.

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle \frac{d}{d\lambda}\left( \frac{x^{\lambda}-1}{\log{x}} \right) = \frac{d}{d\lambda}\left( \frac{x^{\lambda}}{\log{x}} \right) = \frac{1}{\log{x}}\frac{d}{d \lambda}\left x^{ \lambda}

-- if we let y=xλy = x^{\lambda} then

logy=λlogx    1ydydλ=logx    dydλ=ylog(x)=xλlogx.\displaystyle \log{y} = \lambda \log{x} \implies \frac{1}{y} \frac{dy}{d\lambda} = \log{x} \implies \frac{dy}{d\lambda} = y \log(x) = x^{\lambda}\log{x}.

That's we have

\displaystyle \frac{d}{d \lambda}\left x^{ \lambda} = x^{\lambda}\log{x}

so ddλ(xλ1logx)=1logxxλlogx=xλ.\displaystyle \frac{d}{d\lambda}\left( \frac{x^{\lambda}-1}{\log{x}} \right) =\frac{1}{\log{x}}\cdot x^{\lambda}\log{x} =x^{\lambda}.

Spoiler

If anyone is interested, the double integral way also gets the same general value

Spoiler

Just got to this now, mate.
I totally get it, this is a cool way of integrating.
Original post by Mladenov
I would like to share the following problem, which, recently, appeared on high school olympiad.

Let f be a continuous function f:[0,1]Rf:[0,1] \rightarrow \mathbb{R} such that:
x1f(t)dt1x22\int_{x}^{1} f(t) \, dt \ge \frac{1-x^2}{2}, for any x[0,1]x \in [0,1]. Prove that 01f2(t)dt13\int_{0}^{1} f^2(t) \, dt \ge \frac{1}{3}.

x1f(t)dt1x22    x1f(t)tdt0\displaystyle \int_{x}^{1} f(t) \, dt \ge \frac{1-x^2}{2}\iff \int_x^1 f(t)-t\,dt\geq 0

Let F(x)=x1f(t)tdt\displaystyle F(x)=\int_x^1 f(t) -t\,dt and consider ξ(x)=xx1F(t)dt\displaystyle\xi (x)=x \int_x^1 F(t)\,dt

ξ(x)=x1F(t)dtxF(x)ξ(0)0()\displaystyle\xi'(x)=\int_x^1 F(t)\,dt-x F(x)\Rightarrow \xi'(0)\geq 0\quad(\star)

Partial integration gives:

ξ(x)=tF(t)x1+x1t(f(t)t)dtxF(x)\displaystyle\xi'(x)= t F(t)\bigg|_x^1+\int_x^1 t\Big(f(t)-t\Big)dt-x F(x)

Noting that F(1)=0:F(1)=0:

ξ(0)=01t(f(t)t)dt0\displaystyle\xi'(0)=\int_0^1 t\Big(f(t)-t\Big)dt\geq 0 by ()(\star)

Everything falls into place from here:

01(f(t)t)2dt001f2(t)t2dt201t(f(t)t)dt0\displaystyle\int_0^1 \bigg(f(t)-t\bigg)^2\,dt\geq 0\Rightarrow \int_0^1 f^2(t)-t^2\,dt\geq 2\int_0^1 t\Big(f(t)-t\Big)dt\geq 0

Hence 01f2(t)dt01t2dt=13\displaystyle\int_0^1 f^2(t)\,dt\geq \int_0^1 t^2\,dt=\frac{1}{3}
(edited 11 years ago)

Spoiler

My idea was very similar to yours.

Here is my solution:

Spoiler

Permit me to propose another intriguing problem.

Let f:[0,1]Rf:[0,1]\to\mathbb{R} be a convex and twice differentiable function so that f(0)=0f(0)=0 . Prove that : 201f(x) dxf(1)2\int_0^1f(x)\ \text{d}x\, \le\, f(1).
Try to obtain a more general result.
Follows
f(a+b2)1baabf(x)dxf(a)+f(b)2    201f(x) dxf(1).\displaystyle f\left( \frac{a+b}{2}\right) \le \frac{1}{b - a}\int_a^b f(x)\,dx \le \frac{f(a) + f(b)}{2} \implies 2\int_0^1f(x)\ dx\, \le\, f(1).
Sorry for clogging,
but I need a university Physics student for advice on an experiment about wave-particle duality, not all at once now :rolleyes:
Original post by L'art pour l'art

Spoiler

This solution is an overkill. Bravo.

A more general result:

Spoiler

Here is another problem:

Let f:[0,1]R\displaystyle f: [0,1]\to\mathbb R be a derivable function, with a continuous derivative f \displaystyle f' on [0,1]\displaystyle [0,1]. Prove that if

\displaystyle f\left( \frac 12\right) \equal{} 0

, then

\displaystyle \[ \int^1_0 \left( f'(x) \right)^2 dx \geq 12 \left( \int^1_0 f(x) dx \right)^2.\]

Is c=12 \displaystyle c=12 the best possible constant?
This solution is an overkill. Bravo.

A more general result:

Spoiler

Here is another problem:

Let f:[0,1]R\displaystyle f: [0,1]\to\mathbb R be a derivable function, with a continuous derivative f \displaystyle f' on [0,1]\displaystyle [0,1]. Prove that if

, then

\displaystyle \[ \int^1_0 \left( f'(x) \right)^2 dx \geq 12 \left( \int^1_0 f(x) dx \right)^2.\]

Differentiable
Can someone who had an interview this year for Maths and Physics at Pembroke explain to me how to find the volume of that squiggly shape that came up like a cone?
I can never remember how it was done - although I (sort of) got it in the interview.
Or if someone knows what I'm talking about, that'd be nice
Original post by I am Ace
Can someone who had an interview this year for Maths and Physics at Pembroke explain to me how to find the volume of that squiggly shape that came up like a cone?
I can never remember how it was done - although I (sort of) got it in the interview.
Or if someone knows what I'm talking about, that'd be nice

Afraid not; interview questions aren't to be discussed on TSR as they're often recycled by the Colleges. If you know anyone that applied personally, perhaps ask them directly instead through a private medium.
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Afraid not; interview questions aren't to be discussed on TSR as they're often recycled by the Colleges. If you know anyone that applied personally, perhaps ask them directly instead through a private medium.

Is this so?
I thought that interview questions could be discussed post-interview?
Is this so?
I thought that interview questions could be discussed post-interview?

Yup, the reason for that is that Colleges often reuse questions in future cycles so any specific discussion on here may give an unfair advantage to some/render the question ineffective from an admissions standpoint.
Has any reapplicant ever been asked the same question twice?
Has any reapplicant ever been asked the same question twice?

Each college deals with admissions separately, and a reapplicant will usually have enough common sense not to apply to the same college twice: so even though colleges may recycle questions, getting the exact same question from two different colleges seems incredibly unlikely, unless it's something very basic like "sketch sin(x)".
(edited 11 years ago)
How do you prefer solving differential equations:
With limits from y to y nought and same for x
or with constant of integration?
Why is the constant, e used for growths?

, then

Hint:

Spoiler

Is anyone doing maths at uni? I have 5 weeks over easter before my exams and was wondering how best to organize my time/revise as i really want over a 2:1. I was thinking spending the first week or 2 going over lecture notes/making summary notes and the rest of time practicing questions... what do u think?
I need help to solve an integral. To be exactly I was able to solve the integral to a term. And know I'm wonder what should I do to get the figure of x to a figure of y. Anyone who want to help me?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest