The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Hello!

Anyone heard from Monckton Chambers? (either way)

:s-smilie:
Not yet. In fact, I've only heard from one commercial set and that's to ask for references (!)
Original post by Anonystude
Not yet. In fact, I've only heard from one commercial set and that's to ask for references (!)

Thanks mate! :biggrin:

You have applied to them? Good luck.
12 KBW interview invites have been sent by e-mail.
Original post by Lawrasawrus
Good luck on the mini - app. I agree that nearly all the Non-PP chambers I've applied to have responded, either just by way of acknowledgement but also a lot with dates. I don't want to speak too soon but things seem a lot more organised this year.

Has anyone had confirmation of their application being received by 4 Paper Buildings? Thanks
Reply 585
Original post by legal_lobster_89
12 KBW interview invites have been sent by e-mail.

wow, that's quick! Didn't apply to 12KBW; would like some of the sets I applied to to be notifying as early as this :smile: Congratulations!
Reply 586
Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this has already been posted, I haven't visited TSR for while. I received word of this and thought you might find it useful. I found it really insightful.

Best of luck!
http://www.mikehillbarrister.com/blog/?p=164
Original post by randomstuff
Has anyone had confirmation of their application being received by 4 Paper Buildings? Thanks

Now you mention it- no. I applied well before the deadline but just assumed I'd received confirmation. Thanks for flagging it up! Will send them an e-mail.
3pb (Winchester - June start) rejections post 1st round interview out by email. Good luck to all second rounders!
Reply 589
First time ever on the pupillage portal and would like to wish good luck to everyone in the running for pupillage this year. This is my first year seeking pupillage and reading this thread and previous years are proving usefull. So thank you everyone for your postings. Now the question I would like to ask is if anyone has an idea of what to expect during assessed minis as in dos and donts. Only answer if question is appropriate. Thank you

Halwar
Halwar:

DO: Do whatever they tell you to do, be helpful, get involved.
DON'T: Be shy, speak out during a conference, ask stupid questions, set fire to the Chambers.
Letter from 18SJS this morning! Assessment day is the same as the provisional date (26th May).
Reply 592
Congratulations! I'm assuming that's an invite to it, not just a letter confirming the date?

I don't think I want to go home and check the post now.
Original post by littlewig
Congratulations! I'm assuming that's an invite to it, not just a letter confirming the date?

I don't think I want to go home and check the post now.

Hi Littlewig- it is an invite indeed! I do live in Manchester though so the post is likely to have been exceptionally speedy for me.
Reply 594
OO so do I! Roll on end of work!
Reply 595
Original post by Mini Pupil
Halwar:

DO: Do whatever they tell you to do, be helpful, get involved.
DON'T: Be shy, speak out during a conference, ask stupid questions, set fire to the Chambers.

Thank you Mini Pupil

You made me laugh. I wont burn the place down. I have only done one mini in my life and that was last week. Now I have an assessed mini coming as part of the pupillage process at a commercial set and an interview in view of another assessed mini all part of the portal process at another set. I do not know what is meant by assessed mini, whether I will be having questions thrown at me at short notice. My worry is do I need to brush up on my legal knowledge before I venture in? Or is the assessment based on photocopying skills, good manners, keenness and so on.
(edited 11 years ago)
I was amused that one chambers felt it necessary to brief mini-pupils on day one that it's not acceptable to pass your phone number to the (married, female) instructing solicitor during a client conference, nor is it acceptable to sleep whilst lying across three of the chairs in the back of the courtroom.
Original post by Halwar
Thank you Mini Pupil

You made me laugh. I wont burn the place down. I have only done one mini in my life and that was last week. Now I have an assessed mini coming as part of the pupillage process at a commercial set and an interview in view of another assessed mini all part of the portal process at another set. I do not know what is meant by assessed mini, whether I will be having questions thrown at me at short notice. My worry is do I need to brush up on my legal knowledge before I venture in? Or is the assessment based on photocopying skills, good manners, keenness and so on.

Assessed minis usually have some kind of work involved. Drafting something, problem question or a piece of research - something like that.

I would very strongly suggest that you have a firm grasp of the law behind the practice area of the set you've applied to - it will enable you to ask more relevant questions and look generally more competent.

I don't mean that you have to be an expert, but having university level contract under control could prove useful for a commercial set (obviously I don't know which set).

For instance, my passion is crime, so I consider it important to know the elements of the 'big' offences, to have a good grasp of vlarious evidential rules (hearsay, bad character, etc) and to have a solid understanding of criminal procedure in both the mags and the crown - it will just make assessed minis and interviews that little bit easier.
Reply 598
Original post by Mini Pupil
Assessed minis usually have some kind of work involved. Drafting something, problem question or a piece of research - something like that.

I would very strongly suggest that you have a firm grasp of the law behind the practice area of the set you've applied to - it will enable you to ask more relevant questions and look generally more competent.

I don't mean that you have to be an expert, but having university level contract under control could prove useful for a commercial set (obviously I don't know which set).

For instance, my passion is crime, so I consider it important to know the elements of the 'big' offences, to have a good grasp of vlarious evidential rules (hearsay, bad character, etc) and to have a solid understanding of criminal procedure in both the mags and the crown - it will just make assessed minis and interviews that little bit easier.

I do want to express my thanks to you Mini-Pupil. It is a big commercial set and they pretty much cover more than twenty practice areas but I am mainly interested in seven areas in which they are leaders. Thand God I still have all my revision notes from my Uni years and will read up a lot beforehands and just hope for the best. Thank you again.
Original post by Halwar
I do want to express my thanks to you Mini-Pupil. It is a big commercial set and they pretty much cover more than twenty practice areas but I am mainly interested in seven areas in which they are leaders. Thand God I still have all my revision notes from my Uni years and will read up a lot beforehands and just hope for the best. Thank you again.

I would agree with Mini Pupil. One of my assessed minis at a commercial set involved spending half a day researching and producing a written advice. I was also asked on the spot questions that came up about the CPR, equity and trusts and international elements, but this was on more of a discussion basis. However, an assessed mini on circuit was more relaxed whereby the barristers I was with assessed me generally, without my producing any written work, and told me that they kept their written assessments on file should I apply for a pupillage. Be enthusiastic, offer to undertake research etc and most of all enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending