The Student Room Group

Carroll or Crouch

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

they are both as terrible, immobile and destructive to their respective teams' football as each other, so neither.
Reply 2
Crouch
Reply 3
Career:

Crouch has 0.31 goals per game (157 goals in 506 games).
Carroll has 0.28 goals per game (45 goals in 158 games).

This Season:

Crouch has 0.39 goals per game (14 goals in 39 games).
Carroll has 0.12 goals per game (6 goals in 49 games).

International:

Crouch has 22 goals in 42 games.
Carroll has 1 goal in 3 games.

Maybe Carroll in the future if he can improve, but, right now, definitely Crouch.
Crouch, he has a decent international record.
Reply 5
Crouch has the better experience, knows how to use his height and is pretty good on the floor too. My only issue is that he just doesn't have that strength. In the premier league, they're a lot more lax, but in Europe and with Internationals, they penalise a lot more and I think Crouch would get caught out.

Problem with Carroll is his form over a year and a half (excluding the last month or two).

I guess if we're going to go with a Plan B, I'd rather go for the battering ram approach (along with the height). If it was just between the two, I'd go with Carroll.

Wouldn't expect either to start or get many minutes though.
Reply 6
Original post by Xotol
Career:

Crouch has 0.31 goals per game (157 goals in 506 games).
Carroll has 0.28 goals per game (45 goals in 158 games).

This Season:

Crouch has 0.39 goals per game (14 goals in 39 games).
Carroll has 0.12 goals per game (6 goals in 49 games).

International:

Crouch has 22 goals in 42 games.
Carroll has 1 goal in 3 games.

Maybe Carroll in the future if he can improve, but, right now, definitely Crouch.

Thing is stats don't really show the true story. Carroll was incredibly awful for half of the season. Since the Newcastle game on 1 April he has been absolutely fantastic though. Carroll will be a far better player than Crouch ever has been as Crouch has always been an overrated average striker. Carroll has shown that potential by his time at Newcastle and on his recent form.
Reply 7
Original post by Gob Bluth
Thing is stats don't really show the true story. Carroll was incredibly awful for half of the season. Since the Newcastle game on 1 April he has been absolutely fantastic though. Carroll will be a far better player than Crouch ever has been as Crouch has always been an overrated average striker. Carroll has shown that potential by his time at Newcastle and on his recent form.

Just because Carroll has been good for a few games doesn't translate to automatic form. I'd like to see him perform like that over a much longer period.

I'll reserve my judgement on Carroll until he starts producing regularly. Crouch has done that over his career, and he has pretty amazing international stats for someone who's supposed to be 'average'.
I'd probably go with Carroll. He is always going to be more of a threat than Crouch personally. Since he's gained form over the last couple of games, it just makes him the even more obvious choice.
Reply 9
Original post by Darth Vader 7
I'd probably go with Carroll. He is always going to be more of a threat than Crouch personally. Since he's gained form over the last couple of games, it just makes him the even more obvious choice.

Why is he more of a threat?

Doesnt the goal record show Crouch the bigger threat?
Reply 10
Original post by ras90
Why is he more of a threat?

Doesnt the goal record show Crouch the bigger threat?

I thought I explained the physical differences?

On the floor, neither are good enough to get into the team. Throw in their capabilities in the air, then they might be a Plan B.

Crouch has height but not much physical strength to muscle into positions. His heading isn't as good as it should be. Carroll has shown that he can compete against defenders of the caliber of Ivanovic/Terry in the air.
Reply 11
Original post by Zerforax
I thought I explained the physical differences?

On the floor, neither are good enough to get into the team. Throw in their capabilities in the air, then they might be a Plan B.

Crouch has height but not much physical strength to muscle into positions. His heading isn't as good as it should be. Carroll has shown that he can compete against defenders of the caliber of Ivanovic/Terry in the air.

So why is the goals per minute stat better for Crouch than Carroll?
Reply 12
Original post by ras90
So why is the goals per minute stat better for Crouch than Carroll?

Because Crouch is more adjusted at Stoke than Carroll has been at Liverpool.

Tbh, neither are going to score many at the Euros, it's a low scoring tournament and it's only a few rounds.

I think Carroll will be more of a threat in winning the ball/keeping it and bringing the team into the side.

Would you take a player who had scored 20 goals so far this season but looking more specifically, you see that he scored 20 in his first 20 games but nothing in the next 18? Form is an important factor and Carroll looks more dangerous lately.
Reply 13
I'd like to point out that, internationally, Crouch has a better goals per game record than Messi, Ronaldo, Van Persie, Rooney, Ibrahimovic, Gomez, Benzema, Higuain, Aguero, Falcao, Robben, Cavani and Suarez.
Holt.
Original post by Xotol
I'd like to point out that, internationally, Crouch has a better goals per game record than Messi, Ronaldo, Van Persie, Rooney, Ibrahimovic, Gomez, Benzema, Higuain, Aguero, Falcao, Robben, Cavani and Suarez.

Look at the quality of the teams he's scored against - One against France is the only 'good' team that he's scored against, plus a few half decent ones like Croatia, Ukraine and Mexico.

3 against Jamaica in a world cup warm up match, 2 against a very very poor Greece team in a friendly, 2 against Andorra, 2 against Belarus, 2 against a very poor Egypt team on the night.

I realise that in international football there will be a lot of games and goals against weaker nations because there aren't really that many strong teams, but if you look at the scoring records of Owen, Rooney (although his goalscoring form has been very patchy for England), Shearer, Higuain, Messi etc...probably a lot of the strikers you mention, and you look at who they've scored against, you'll see that there are a lot of weaker teams in there as well, but there are a number of goals against top teams like Brazil, Spain, Holland, France etc... Crouch doesn't have that at all, because the defenses of those teams can deal with him.

He is also terrible in the air and at holding up the ball, which is what he will be used for. He's pretty good with him feet, but as a 'big man' he is terrible. Statistics don't tell the whole story, I'm yet to see him terrorize a quality defence.
(edited 11 years ago)
Currently Crouch, even though he is the Graeme Hick of football (does well against poorer teams, fails against the best, both at club level and especially internationally).
Reply 17
Original post by jackclarke1995
Holt.

:biggrin: Get him on the plane.
Reply 18
Deff not Holt, Crouchy for England.
Reply 19
Wouldn't be an unsuccessful England campaign with out Crouchy there! Take him, great international record

Quick Reply

Latest