The Student Room Group

Do you lose marks for using S2 formulas in an S1 paper?

In one of the questions in a previous S1 paper, I was struggling to do the question using S1 formula so I used an S2 formula and the answer was correct

But would I lose marks for doing that?
Reply 1
No, you can use any formula from the formula booklet.
Reply 2
Original post by UWS
In one of the questions in a previous S1 paper, I was struggling to do the question using S1 formula so I used an S2 formula and the answer was correct

But would I lose marks for doing that?

You can only use formulas for that unit and below. What I mean it in C4 you can use C1, C2 and C3 formulas but you couldn't use a C5 formula (I know there isn't one, its just an example).

If you use a formula that you haven't been taught yet (I mean that in S1 they don't expect you to have been taught S2 yet), you won't get the marks for using the right formula. All you will get is the marks for getting the correct answer.
Having done S1 and S2 (with Edexcel), I don't see any S2 formula that would help with S1? :confused:

Original post by drewb

If you use a formula that you haven't been taught yet (I mean that in S1 they don't expect you to have been taught S2 yet), you won't get the marks for using the right formula. All you will get is the marks for getting the correct answer.

This is incorrect. If you don't obtain method marks, you cannot receive accuracy (the right answer) mark.
Reply 4
Original post by drewb
You can only use formulas for that unit and below. What I mean it in C4 you can use C1, C2 and C3 formulas but you couldn't use a C5 formula (I know there isn't one, its just an example).

Are you sure? I thought you could use stuff from C3/4 in the C1 paper?
Well that's what I was planning on doing if I got stuck on the C1 paper on Wednesday :s
Reply 5
Original post by snow leopard
Having done S1 and S2 (with Edexcel), I don't see any S2 formula that would help with S1? :confused:

This is incorrect. If you don't obtain method marks, you cannot receive accuracy (the right answer) mark.

I agree with the formulas not being useful!

Sorry, I guess you can't get the answer mark then. :L

Quick Reply

Latest