The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Original post by Guy Secretan
I believe it's okay to make racist jokes

I believe you're trying too hard.
Original post by green.tea
Reserch shows boys without father have role model related problems.

Research shows that SOME boys from single parent families SOMETIMES have role model related issues.

I'd actually say it's a wider problem than that though, it's the lack of any positive male role model that's the issue, I speak from experience having worked with inner city kids, who had criminal records for various things..
I can't wait in fifty years time to see how the world will be.

Gay marriage. Gay adoption. All legalised. The world should be an interested place (not to mention the tech) - in fifty years, mankind will have done more to change the environment of its existence than has been done in the past centuries (maybe even in the known history of Homo Sapiens).
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
I can't wait in fifty years time to see how the world will be.

Gay marriage. Gay adoption. All legalised. The world should be an interested place (not to mention the tech) - in fifty years, mankind will have done more to change the environment of its existence than has been done in the past centuries (maybe even in the known history of Homo Sapiens).

A scary, scary place.
Reply 884
Original post by Zalachenko
A scary, scary place.

A very good place.
Original post by Jester94
A very good place.

To not live in.
Reply 886
To not live in.

You are so pathetic, it is actually quite amusing.
To not live in.

I pity people who have such closed minds to ideas that are not their own. I take it you also have something against a white person marrying a black person?

Stop living in the dark ages. :smile:
Original post by Jester94
You are so pathetic, it is actually quite amusing.

What's amusing is that this 'imaginary world' you hope to live in will probably never be like you want it to really be, thank god. If not, it will be a sad time for humanity.

Original post by Scienceisgood
I pity people who have such closed minds to ideas that are not their own. I take it you also have something against a white person marrying a black person?

Stop living in the dark ages. :smile:

Closed mind? My father is from Russia and my mother is British-born with the rest of her family being from Delhi. So don't judge.

Dark ages? In order to be 'up-to-date' is it required to approve of homosexuality? LOL.
What's amusing is that this 'imaginary world' you hope to live in will probably never be like you want it to really be, thank god. If not, it will be a sad time for humanity.

Closed mind? My father is from Russia and my mother is British-born with the rest of her family being from Delhi. So don't judge.

Dark ages? In order to be 'up-to-date' is it required to approve of homosexuality? LOL.

So, if you don't mind me asking, what is it you find that this either can't or shouldn't happen? If you could give me solid evidence and if it shouldn't give me hard evidence why not.
Reply 890

We're already moving towards that 'imaginary world' - gay marriage is becoming legal in ever increasing places, gay adoption is legal here in the UK. But please explain why it would be such a bad thing for humanity?

Also, I fail to notice why ethnicity has ANYTHING to do with this topic.
I am a quarter Greek and three quarters English. Do I ever bring this up, no.
To be honest, I couldn't give two poos for my Greek side, I wasn't raised Greek, taught the language or anything else to do with it. Neither is my father.
My mother is completely English.

So, I fail to see how being of a mixed background is of ANY importance here.
Reply 892
Of course they should. I don't even understand why this is a matter of debate. Let gay people have the same freedoms as straight people. It's not as if it'll affect anybody else. Some people are so ignorant.
Original post by Scienceisgood
Also, I fail to notice why ethnicity has ANYTHING to do with this topic.
I am a quarter Greek and three quarters English. Do I ever bring this up, no.
To be honest, I couldn't give two poos for my Greek side, I wasn't raised Greek, taught the language or anything else to do with it. Neither is my father.
My mother is completely English.

So, I fail to see how being of a mixed background is of ANY importance here.

"I pity people who have such closed minds to ideas that are not their own. I take it you also have something against a white person marrying a black person?

Stop living in the dark ages."

I'm not going to go into this 'support your claims with evidence' now because I don't have the time. I've got nothing against homosexuals, I know you can't control your sexuality and everybody is what they are born. What I don't find acceptable is the fact that them getting 'together formally' = marriage, when it isn't, marriage is the unison of a man with a woman and it has been like that for hundreds of years. I don't see the point in adapting this. Liberty? Equality? Then why should people not be free to ''marry'' their own family members? Or why don't I marry my own dog tomorrow? He's a being with feelings as well, right? Should this be acceptable too?

Aside from this, if you believe that children will NOT get bullied and laughed at during life when people realize their parents are both male/female, you're definitely an ignorant. As a matter of fact, I've lived in 9 different countries, with the UK being my 10th in September; homosexuality wasn't tolerated in a single one of these (and these aren't Arab countries: but Germany, Russia, South Africa, Cuba...).
Reply 894
What I don't find acceptable is the fact that them getting 'together formally' = marriage, when it isn't, marriage is the unison of a man with a woman and it has been like that for hundreds of years. I don't see the point in adapting this.

Aside from this, if you believe that children will NOT get bullied and laughed at during life when people realize their parents are both male/female, you're definitely an ignorant. As a matter of fact, I've lived in 9 different countries, with the UK being my 10th in September; homosexuality wasn't tolerated in a single one of these (and these aren't Arab countries: but Germany, Russia, South Africa, Cuba...).

Society changes and so does the formalities and traditions that go along with it.

Ah, the old 'the kids will be bullied!' line. Perhaps we should work on eradicating the attitudes and prejudices in society which CAUSE the bullying before putting the emphasis on the victims. Quite why the bullies get priority is beyond me.
Original post by ohirome
Society changes and so does the formalities and traditions that go along with it.

Ah, the old 'the kids will be bullied!' line. Perhaps we should work on eradicating the attitudes and prejudices in society which CAUSE the bullying before putting the emphasis on the victims. Quite why the bullies get priority is beyond me.

What's your solution? Getting rid of more than 50% of the world's population? Or directly censoring those who do not agree? Because I can assure you that there are MILLIONS of people globally who are not in accord with homosexual adoption.

People also get bullied and laughed at for having ginger parents. And fat parents. And nerdy parents. And parents with rubbish jobs. Do we ban these parents from adopting? No, we punish the bullies to let them know that bullying isn't okay.
We can't stop bullying, I wish we could, but the thing to do isn't to eradicate differences in people that cause bullying, unless you want us all to be carbon copies of each other. The thing to do is to teach people that differences are okay and hope that attitudes change. Stopping gay people from adopting is a step backwards in this process.
Reply 897
What's your solution? Getting rid of more than 50% of the world's population? Or directly censoring those who do not agree? Because I can assure you that there are MILLIONS of people globally who are not in accord with homosexual adoption.

I don't have a solution, nor do I need one. I can't change peoples opinions, however I also don't accept that its a-ok to blame the victims and not at least work on the bullies themselves. By keeping your head in the sand, all you're doing is furthering the stubborn prejudice.

I genuinely don't care about the "MILLIONS" of people who are against adoption. I do however care about the future generation of LGBTQ people who deserve the right to adopt and marry and have the same rights and options as everyone else. Do I have a master plan? Of course not, I'm a nobody in the grand scale of things. The 'marriage is a union between a man and a woman' thing is ridiculous. Religion should not have priority over human rights.
every child needs at least one loving parent i believe be them male female or anything else it doesnt matter as long as they love them :smile:

the last two points i think are silly really...
but the first the bullying is a concern.. but then i think the right support at home and peoples attitude towards bullying is different.. i will always say i was never bullied... i dont feel like i was bullied, noone ever upset me... i was always called names, i was fat well still am fat, and well you know what kids are like i was always being called chubby, and fatty...... i also got called bakewell tart because my surname sounds like bakewell... at primary school my hair band was always being taken by a couple of lads....would take me the whole of the lunch hour before id manage to get it back, i always did... but my god was it effort!... all of which many people would feel they were being bullied, but i always had a lovely family who love me and support me no matter what, and i believe that to be why none of it ever bothered me ... so as long as they get those parents i think they would be able to rise above any stupid people who try and bully them......
x
"I pity people who have such closed minds to ideas that are not their own. I take it you also have something against a white person marrying a black person?

Stop living in the dark ages."

I'm not going to go into this 'support your claims with evidence' now because I don't have the time. I've got nothing against homosexuals, I know you can't control your sexuality and everybody is what they are born. What I don't find acceptable is the fact that them getting 'together formally' = marriage, when it isn't, marriage is the unison of a man with a woman and it has been like that for hundreds of years. I don't see the point in adapting this. Liberty? Equality? Then why should people not be free to ''marry'' their own family members? Or why don't I marry my own dog tomorrow? He's a being with feelings as well, right? Should this be acceptable too?

Actually, as I said, I am gay and all my friends know it too. I AM "Tolerated" and was never bullied for my sexuality. So, obviously Africa will not tolerate it because it kills gay people because it is seen as a crime punishable by death because they view it as a "sickness".

Besides, we are not talking about marriage here. Anyway, that *kinda* crosses the species barrier. The basic biology of courtship is that an animal will try and woo a mate through a courtship dance. I am pretty sure that if a monkey, dog or cat tried to do its mating dance with you, you wouldn't respond, right?

Homosexuality has been legal since 1967 (a total of 45 years) and has since evolved and the UK will probably legalise gay marriage by the year 2015 (can't say I am that bothered because marriage is under religion and, 1 - I am not religious, 2 - Most religions would see me dead).

So, in short, homosexuality is NOT frowned upon in the UK like the rest of the countries you have seen. Well, at least not where I have been anyway. People view me for who I am and not what I am, albeit I usually wait a good few months before coming out to people so they get to know me as a person and thereby know whether or not I am the kind of person they want to be around.

So, in short, I am openly gay but I am not fruity. I like most of the stuff guys like but, I just don't find women attractive.

Latest

Trending

Trending