The Student Room Group

Slim fast diet?

Anybody been on it? What were your thoughts/experiences? I'm trying it out at the moment, not the whole shebang, just replacing two meals with shakes then with one healthy evening meal and a few healthy snacks throughout the day.

I just wanted to know how other people have found this diet, or similar ones, or are there any you prefer..? Anything really :smile:

Oh and I KNOW there's no substitute for just healthy eating, I know slim fast isn't necessarily the most effective thing long term, I'm just trying it out, to see how it feels, so to anybody else no lectures about this please!

Scroll to see replies

its okay, it does work, but I prefer calorie counting for the long term over slim fast.

Vanilla ones are yummy by the way lol
Reply 2
I've tried it many times, it's not the best way to loose weight.. but if you can eat healthy after that and keep your weight down then it's good! :smile: ... however, i HIGHLY don't recommend this while exams are going on! it takes away a lot from your energy and keeps you hungry so you don't actually have the same mentality and capability to study for the exams like you would want to:smile:

cheers!
Reply 3
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
its okay, it does work, but I prefer calorie counting for the long term over slim fast.

Vanilla ones are yummy by the way lol

YES they are! I have vanilla, caramel and coffee flavours and so far i'm loving vanilla and caramel the most :smile: I've found it quite easy to follow except for the odd craving which usually goes away
Reply 4
Jesus wept. Do they hand out free lobotomies with every 5 purchases?
The easy part will be losing the weight. The hard part will be sticking to a healthier diet afterwards - the slim-fast diet is another of the endless fad-diets that are not sustainable long term. Why not save some money and start eating properly now?
Reply 6
Original post by TheInformer
The easy part will be losing the weight. The hard part will be sticking to a healthier diet afterwards - the slim-fast diet is another of the endless fad-diets that are not sustainable long term. Why not save some money and start eating properly now?

Because I'm not overweight or anything I'm just trying to shed a few pounds for a summer abroad, if I go back to my normal weight after that then I'm not fussed. And I don't think I will put on more weight in the long term because when I'm not on a diet I eat healthily and go to the gym anyway. Also, see the last part of my post please
Shakes are a disgrace. If you want to lose fat you should not drink any calories. That is because if you drink your calories the sugar goes into bloody stream very quickly. This raises your insulin levels suddenly. Which then causes you to be really hungry later, because of the insulin in your blood stream, and stops you from using fat as a source of energy.
Reply 8
Original post by Classical Liberal
Shakes are a disgrace. If you want to lose fat you should not drink any calories. That is because if you drink your calories the sugar goes into bloody stream very quickly. This raises your insulin levels suddenly. Which then causes you to be really hungry later, because of the insulin in your blood stream, and stops you from using fat as a source of energy.

So if I'm on a reduced calorie diet, but I don't feel low on energy, where is my energy coming from if not from fat? [Or muscle, I am exercising and doing weights to tone up]
Original post by abc:)
So if I'm on a reduced calorie diet, but I don't feel low on energy, where is my energy coming from if not from fat? [Or muscle, I am exercising and doing weights to tone up]

Are you running a calorie deficit? Slightly different to just reducing the amount of calories you consume.

I don't actually know about this particular shake, but I just know that drinking calories, sugar, fats is very bad for a diet because it causes a spike in insulin.
Reply 10
Original post by Classical Liberal
Are you running a calorie deficit? Slightly different to just reducing the amount of calories you consume.

I don't actually know about this particular shake, but I just know that drinking calories, sugar, fats is very bad for a diet because it causes a spike in insulin.

I would say I am yeah, I walk loads every day I think my calorie needs are quite high and I've cut back a lot [not a dangerous amount, I'm not getting drained or anything]

And yeah I see what you mean and I can feel it when I'm drinking the shakes but I guess the main issue would be the dip afterwards, but I seem to be able to cope quite well I don't get a huge energy dip
They work if you follow the diet properly. However, personally, I'd find it a little bit depressing not being able to eat solid food for every meal. It's probably just me being silly though. Also I don't think I'd be able to keep the weight off if I lost it like that, because I would never have learned to actually eat healthily with normal food.. if that makes sense.
Reply 12
I would say I am yeah, I walk loads every day I think my calorie needs are quite high and I've cut back a lot [not a dangerous amount, I'm not getting drained or anything]

And yeah I see what you mean and I can feel it when I'm drinking the shakes but I guess the main issue would be the dip afterwards, but I seem to be able to cope quite well I don't get a huge energy dip

Probably because it has 18g sugar per 300ml bottle. which is just under 2/3 the amount of coke. Seems like a big scam to me tbh. It's just a rubbish protein shake loaded with sugar and packaged as a weight loss drink.
I tried Slim Fast for a bit once, sure it works....but the shakes are like 200+ calories each, would you not rather have a smaller, healthy meal for those calories? Drinking calories doesn't fill you up, could have like a salad with boiled eggs or even porridge with fruit...
Reply 14
Tried a slimfast shake once, a mate had no food in and I was hung over. Revolting, and I was just hungry 2 minutes later. Just eat healthily and excercise, it's quicker and more long term.
Reply 15
Original post by infairverona
I tried Slim Fast for a bit once, sure it works....but the shakes are like 200+ calories each, would you not rather have a smaller, healthy meal for those calories? Drinking calories doesn't fill you up, could have like a salad with boiled eggs or even porridge with fruit...

Original post by Megaross
Tried a slimfast shake once, a mate had no food in and I was hung over. Revolting, and I was just hungry 2 minutes later. Just eat healthily and excercise, it's quicker and more long term.

PLEASEEEE read the last bit of my post!!! All I'm looking for is people's feedbacks on how they have found this diet!!!
Reply 16
Anybody been on it? What were your thoughts/experiences? I'm trying it out at the moment, not the whole shebang, just replacing two meals with shakes then with one healthy evening meal and a few healthy snacks throughout the day.

I just wanted to know how other people have found this diet, or similar ones, or are there any you prefer..? Anything really :smile:

Oh and I KNOW there's no substitute for just healthy eating, I know slim fast isn't necessarily the most effective thing long term, I'm just trying it out, to see how it feels, so to anybody else no lectures about this please!

Hey there :biggrin:, i started the Cambridge diet this week on Tuesday, you can either have just shakes, soups, porridge or a mixture of all three. For a man it's 4 of these a day and a woman 3.. i've lost 12 pound in just 5 days :eek:, i know it's a quick fix but i need to do this before i go to uni, confidence thing with me mainly. My mum went on it an can't stand any of it, i happen to like pretty much all the shakes, they mask it well. What they do is put everything your body needs into one meal (soup, shake, porridge) and then your body isn't storing any fats. The only problem i have with this is that you can only do 40 minutes a day walking, no other exercise, plus you can't have anything else in the day, not even licking the spoon if you've made a meal for someone else etc. :rolleyes: real tough as your always hungry and have massive cravings, but apparently after the first week you see food as just a product. Send me a message if you or anyone else wants to know more, cost, taste, progress whatever, i really don't mind! :smile:
Reply 17
PLEASEEEE read the last bit of my post!!! All I'm looking for is people's feedbacks on how they have found this diet!!!

I gave you some feedback in regards to the effectiveness of the product.

I did give you feedback? I said it works temporarily yes but when you go back to eating normally you will most likely put weight back on. Although I do have a friend who lost 5 stone in 3 months on it, but she was huge to start with. And she put back on half a stone straight away when she began eating again.
Original post by Dannus
Hey there :biggrin:, i started the Cambridge diet this week on Tuesday, you can either have just shakes, soups, porridge or a mixture of all three. For a man it's 4 of these a day and a woman 3.. i've lost 12 pound in just 5 days :eek:, ...

So essentially you are just starving yourself? With no exercise?

Good luck with your skinny fat goals of 2012.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest