The Student Room Group

List of Top Chemical Engineering-Related Companies in UK/World?

I'm sure there're more top chem eng companies in the world other than what's listed in The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2011-2012, am I right? What about engineering companies in Australia or in UK alone? Could anyone please guide me to obtaining a comprehensive list of these prestigious employers? Thank you!
The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers is next to useless if you are interested in engineering since it's heavily biased towards companies that recruit graduates for generic paper pushing and middle management positions from all degree disciplines whereas employers looking for chemical engineers only market themselves towards, yup, engineers.

Check out Gradcracker and also your university careers service.
Original post by johnconnor92
I'm sure there're more top chem eng companies in the world other than what's listed in The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2011-2012, am I right? What about engineering companies in Australia or in UK alone? Could anyone please guide me to obtaining a comprehensive list of these prestigious employers? Thank you!

"Chemical engineering-related" is not specific enough since chemical engineers are employed in a very wide range of industries and the words "top/prestigious" are subject to anybody's opinion.

Anyhow, did you see this website which has a lot of info regarding chemical engineering careers. The whynotchemeng website has a comprehensive list of employers but I would not consider most of them to be "prestigious".

Are you looking to apply to some of these companies? How far along are you in your studies? I'm just finishing up my chem eng studies now so feel free to ask more questions related to chem eng careers/studies
Reply 3
Original post by chad_bro_chill
Are you looking to apply to some of these companies? How far along are you in your studies? I'm just finishing up my chem eng studies now so feel free to ask more questions related to chem eng careers/studies

Actually I haven't even started my degree! I'm looking for sponsorships and I'm thinking of popping them a proposal to fund my studies abroad. Ok it sounds very silly but it's a shot nonetheless.

Speaking of which, have you any advice for me on this (contacting engineering companies for sponsorships)?
Reply 4
Original post by johnconnor92
Actually I haven't even started my degree! I'm looking for sponsorships and I'm thinking of popping them a proposal to fund my studies abroad. Ok it sounds very silly but it's a shot nonetheless.

Speaking of which, have you any advice for me on this (contacting engineering companies for sponsorships)?

Sponserships are very rare.

You'd be much better off aiming for a paid placement year. You'd easily save enough money to pay off all your university debt. And as an added bonus, you'd have invaluable experience and industry contacts.

I'm sure Smack would agree with me.
If you're looking for funding you should apply for scholarships through government-run programmes or from the university you'd like to attend.

I have never heard of an engineering company directly offering to pay for somebody's studies. They don't have time to review applications for university funding. If a company wants to support students' tuition fees, they'll usually set up a fund at a specific university and then, like I said, potential students will fill out an application through the uni to receive some scholarship using money from this fund.

But even that is very rare. Companies are more interested in attracting the best students to come work for them so they want to get exposure on the uni campus in certain targeted departments. They tend to spend money on career events to promote what they have to offer, sponsor parties/sports events, or fund some PhDs and post-docs to conduct relevant research for them.

Nonetheless, if you have time on your hand, it doesn't hurt to try. Maybe you should first contact the HR rep for the region where you'd like to go to uni and just ask them if they've ever done this sort of thing before.

Good luck
Reply 6
Original post by chad_bro_chill
If you're looking for funding you should apply for scholarships through government-run programmes or from the university you'd like to attend.

I'm an international and I'm not exactly loaded with cash. My only chance to come over to UK is to get a full scholarship for my degree. That's why I'm looking for sponsorships by private companies (who are presumably loaded).

Nonetheless, if you have time on your hand, it doesn't hurt to try. Maybe you should first contact the HR rep for the region where you'd like to go to uni and just ask them if they've ever done this sort of thing before.

But the thing is I don't even know WHO am I supposed to contact... yet! Should I approach a minister of parliament etc for assistance on this matter? =(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending