The Student Room Group

Do you judge people?

Do you? Is it an unavoidablce aspect of life? Like when you see someoene do you judge them? even if it its just once glance? Is it impossilbe not to judge someone?

Whether it be by apperance, acccent, race, social status, level of education! What do you think? Can judgements be avoided or are they natural?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It shuman nature, nothing wrong with it. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by GoingInsane
Do you?

Yes. Everyone judges on some level, it is quite natural.
We all do it, you just have to give people a chance to show themselves.
I try not too. Judging people reflects more on you than the person you're judging anyway. Also, judgement restricts you to a superficial snapshot of a whole person that is not accurate at all; stops you from getting to know someone properly.
yes, i do. IT IS HUMAN NATURE. i am human... therefore...

anyone who says no is either A) lying or B) kidding themselves

and hello, it is physcially impossible to sit through even 1 minute of jeremey kyle without judging someone on there.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
If I didn't judge a person upon initial contact, I'd have absolutely no idea on how to gauge them. As I get to know them more, I adapt and become more accommodating to the person.
Original post by Bellissima

and hello, it is physcially impossible to sit through even 1 minute of jeremey kyle without judging someone on there.

You're opinion that A) Lying and B) Kidding themselves" is based on what? You think its impossible not to judge someone? If you do then it only reflects that your feeble mind is a slave to your ego.
Original post by g_star_raw_1989
You're opinion that A) Lying and B) Kidding themselves" is based on what? You think its impossible not to judge someone? If you do then it only reflects that your feeble mind is a slave to your ego.

ooh ooh.... what's that? is that a judgement?

we judge people on SO many levels... it's not just your average "omg she has blonde peroxide hair and wearing a belt as a skirt... SLUT!"... it's from judging the creepy guy who stands outside your house with his hands in his pants to the child molester in the news...

i don't see why judging people is necessarily bad. people judge things, not only is it a part of being human it's an important part of being human... if i see a man with crazy eyes walking down a street waving a knife around i am going to judge him as a maniac trying to harm people and get the **** outta there... whether he is or not doesn't matter i would rather take the safe option... likewise i am not going to have sex with some guy who has tons of unprotected one night stands...

as for judging people on a personal level, it's something pretty much everyone does, whether the judgement is positive or negative.
the only time that's really a bad thing is if you start treating that person badly as a result of your own judgement...
ooh ooh.... what's that? is that a judgement?

we judge people on SO many levels... it's not just your average "omg she has blonde peroxide hair and wearing a belt as a skirt... SLUT!"... it's from judging the creepy guy who stands outside your house with his hands in his pants to the child molester in the news...

i don't see why judging people is necessarily bad. people judge things, not only is it a part of being human it's an important part of being human... if i see a man with crazy eyes walking down a street waving a knife around i am going to judge him as a maniac trying to harm people and get the **** outta there... whether he is or not doesn't matter i would rather take the safe option... likewise i am not going to have sex with some guy who has tons of unprotected one night stands...

as for judging people on a personal level, it's something pretty much everyone does, whether the judgement is positive or negative.
the only time that's really a bad thing is if you start treating that person badly as a result of your own judgement...

Not a judgement; an observation based on you're prior comment

As for your argument, yeah its true that most people do make judgements of other people; almost on their first impression. Although that doesn't mean you judging people is unavoidable. If you're aware that your mind will judge people them you can stop being judgemental. It can be consciously prevented.
Reply 10
I am generally non judgmental, however, I can't help but sometimes judging others. It's a trait of every human that is just...ingrained into you from when you are young.
Reply 11
All very PC answers lol...

I see nothing wrong in judging people, it's normal. Why is anybody owed positive or negative views?
Reply 12
Original post by marsman13
It shuman nature, nothing wrong with it. :smile:

Human nature doesn't exist.
Original post by g_star_raw_1989
Not a judgement; an observation based on you're prior comment

As for your argument, yeah its true that most people do make judgements of other people; almost on their first impression. Although that doesn't mean you judging people is unavoidable. If you're aware that your mind will judge people them you can stop being judgemental. It can be consciously prevented.

yes, it was a judgement.

i think that would take a lot of time and effort and mental strain... and it'd be pointless.
I judge sluts.
Everybody does to an extent, but I try not to.
Reply 16
Original post by hamadaxan
Human nature doesn't exist.

Yes it does. Humans have instincts, just like any animal. To think humans have removed all instinctual behaviour is ridiculous since the majority of human behaviour is based on instincts at some level.

You may not consciously look at people and make assumption on their appearance and behaviour but everyone (aside from people with certain brain conditions) subconciously reads body languade and picks up sutle changes in voice which lead to use judging them. People also naturally form categories as they grow based on observations of things around them. When we encounter something new we automatically put them in the most suitable category based on the information we know about them. It isn't a bad thing and the majority of the time it helps us. We could have a functioning society without it as we would have to study everyone thoroughly before having any interactions with them.

When people say they don't judge it usually means they try not to act on the broadest most obvious categories or don't consciously do it however they will still put people into groups subconsciously.
(edited 11 years ago)

I judge you for watching Jeremy Kyle.
Original post by The Troll Toll
I judge you for watching Jeremy Kyle.

i judge myself for watching jeremey kyle...
Reply 19
If I said I didn't I would be lying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending