The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I suppose you could say Profits of Justice in the sense that criminals weren't being punished properly.
Although it did increase the Crown's wealth.. criminals weren't being executed or severely taken care of, therefore making Henry VII seem less anxious about his security or image...

His financial policy was a huge success however :smile:

Are you doing AS History Wars of the Roses?
Reply 2
You could also further this by saying that the constant taxes and fines made him unpopular as a king!!
The 1489 Yorkshire rebellion was a response to the £100,000 subsidy granted by Parliament to pay for Henry's support of Brittany (confirmed in the Treaty of Redon). Yorkshire didn't want to pay for a number of reasons:
- York was somewhat pro-Yorkist
- The poor harvest the previous year had left them essentially poverty-stricken
- They resented the fact that the counties above them (I think that's: Northumberland, Cumberland, Durham and Westmorland) were exempted from the tax as they were expected to defend from the Scottish.

The Earl of Northumberland put the problem to the king for Yorkshire but he refused to negotiate. When Northumberland told the people of York he was killed by an angry mob (although some people say that this was pay-back for his possible betrayal of Richard III at, I think, Bosworth in 1485); the localised mob violence escalated into fully-blown rebellion, led by Lord Egremont.

Henry VII sent the Earl of Surrey to stop the rebels (which he did). Most rebels were pardoned but Egremont managed to flee to Flanders and only £27,000 of the desired £100,000 was ever collected = ie. failure in finances.

Hope that helps! I'm studying Early Modern at AS and - if you're doing the same course as me - you can also use this rebellion in the security section.

If you need any more I can probably think of some :smile:
i can go the causes of the wars of the roses question if we get a nice question on that but i really can't write the henry VII questions at all i know nothing about him at all :/
There's also the Cornish rebellion 1497, where the commons of Cornwall marched on London in protest at the taxes Henry was imposing on them to fight against the Scots (perhaps influenced by the Northern Tax Rebellion of 1489 when Yorkshire had rebelled and Henry ended up not collecting the taxes). Henry put down the rebellion and they still had to pay. But the fact that they rebelled wasn't a good thing :P

Also, despite having an extravegant court he gained a reputation for avarice and became fairly unpopular, for example after his death Henry VIII executed Epsom and Dudley, who had served Henry VII for years as tax collectors, to make himself more popular.
i swear my history teacher said that Epsom and Dudley were executed before Henry VII death was announced to make it look like it was Henry VII decision?
Original post by elliebichard
i swear my history teacher said that Epsom and Dudley were executed before Henry VII death was announced to make it look like it was Henry VII decision?

I don't think so, as far as I remember they were executed in 1510 when Henry VIII came to the throne, in order to make himself more popular with the people.
aha okay i probably remembered it wrong our history teacher tells us so much i don't remember half of it
aha okay i probably remembered it wrong our history teacher tells us so much i don't remember half of it

If the exam is on Tuesday shouldn't you be a bit more prepared?

I'm hoping we get a question on Causes of Civil War (Henry VI was rubbish :wink: ) and something generic about whether Edward was a good king... or why Richard usurped the throne. Or Henry VII's financial policy/ general successes.

Really hope there's nothing specific about the whole Redeption period, Richard's actual time on the throne or Henry VII's foreign policy without being able to refer to his other achievements.
i am really prepared for a causes question, i got a high a in the essay i did the other day, its just that our teacher literally only just finished teaching henry VII, i do know it roughly but i just need to go over the specific details and stuff i could probably get a c on it but i need a bit of prep today and tomorrow and hopefully get a b if i get a good question, its just i find it hard to understand what the henry questions are asking
Reply 11
Original post by Oli-Ol

I'm hoping we get a question on Causes of Civil War (Henry VI was rubbish :wink: ) and something generic about whether Edward was a good king... or why Richard usurped the throne. Or Henry VII's financial policy/ general successes.

Really hope there's nothing specific about the whole Redeption period, Richard's actual time on the throne or Henry VII's foreign policy without being able to refer to his other achievements.

Woah woah woah, it says on the spec that we start from 1483? Why would we get a question about Henry VI?!
Original post by tom.west
Woah woah woah, it says on the spec that we start from 1483? Why would we get a question about Henry VI?!

I have a feeling you're doing the Tudors?

I'm doing OCR A (c.1445-1510), so I could be asked anything about Henry VI, Edward IV, Richard III (and by extension Edward V) and Henry VII.
Reply 13
Original post by Oli-Ol
I have a feeling you're doing the Tudors?

I'm doing OCR A (c.1445-1510), so I could be asked anything about Henry VI, Edward IV, Richard III (and by extension Edward V) and Henry VII.

Oh, thank God haha. Yeah I go from Richard to Henry VIII. Crisis averted. Thanks for the tips by the way :smile:
Original post by Oli-Ol

got an A on that paper with little revision, just sayin'

though i will revise more next year haha
Original post by IndigoOlympia

- York was somewhat pro-Yorkist

I'm afraid I will be referencing this if ever I write a York related essay.
got an A on that paper with little revision, just sayin'

though i will revise more next year haha

Good for you.
Original post by Oli-Ol
Good for you.

pretty sure it is yeah, though i did work my but off all year just couldn't seem to revise at the end
Reply 18
Yes I am do you have suggestions

Latest

Trending

Trending