The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arnab
any one help me on this question?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Draw a diagram for (3i+5j).

Bearing=90otan1(53) \text{Bearing} = 90^o - \tan^{-1}\left(\frac53\right)
Original post by arnab
any one think there will be a big vector question in wednesday paper?

EDIT: What happened to your question? :unsure:
Reply 342
When you're doing a vectors question, will you get marked down if you don't underline your i's and j's?
Reply 343
Original post by NutterFrutter

EDIT: What happened to your question? :unsure:

Sorry but as soon as i posted it and i mean like literally when i pressed the "post" button, it kinda clicked in my head:biggrin:
Sorry for wasting your time but i didnt want other people to do it when i already worked it out, so deleted it.

Anyway do you have any tip regarding question for vector? i can do all the other questions except vectors:angry::angry::angry:
Original post by emma3
When you're doing a vectors question, will you get marked down if you don't underline your i's and j's?

I reckon you should write your vectors using the i's and j's especially if they specify it in the question.
Btw, did anyone try the Jan 2006 paper? Some of the vector questions are actually tricky.
Original post by heretolearnscience
I reckon you should write your vectors using the i's and j's especially if they specify it in the question.
Btw, did anyone try the Jan 2006 paper? Some of the vector questions are actually tricky.

Which question are you finding tricky?
Reply 346
Original post by emma3

course not, unless your i's look like your j's :biggrin:
Reply 347
I mean, because they put the i's and j's in bold font in the textbook to show that they're vectors, and my teacher told me to underline them instead - but I always forget to underline them :/

I'll just try, and if I forget I won't worry, haha n_n
Reply 348
Btw, does anyone know of any particularly hard M1 questions? (In past papers, etc)
Reply 349
Original post by NutterFrutter
Which question are you finding tricky?

could you please help me on question 2a from this paper:http://www.kingsleyschoolbideford.co.uk/Images-(1)/SeniorSchool/Maths-PDFS/M1_20090113.aspx
how do you draw a velocity time graph and what's the area under it?
Reply 350
Original post by emma3
Btw, does anyone know of any particularly hard M1 questions? (In past papers, etc)

try june 2009 paper and see how tough it is: http://www.kingsleyschoolbideford.co.uk/Images-(1)/SeniorSchool/Maths-PDFS/M1_20090522.aspx
Reply 351

hope this helps
s
orry for the terrible drawing!
Reply 352
Any help with this question?

At time t = 0, a football player kicks a ball from the point A with position vector (2i + j) m
on a horizontal football field. The motion of the ball is modelled as that of a particle
moving horizontally with constant velocity (5i + 8j) m s–1. Find
(a) the speed of the ball,

(b) the position vector of the ball after t seconds.

The point B on the field has position vector (10i + 7j) m.

(c) Find the time when the ball is due north of B.

At time t = 0, another player starts running due north from B and moves with constant
speed v m s–1. Given that he intercepts the ball,

d) find the value of v.

I worked out part a, b, c but have no idea as to how to do part d :'(
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by emma3

nope :smile: I asked my teacher when we were learning them :biggrin: (only because I cba underlining everything) :lol:
Reply 354
Original post by annony
hope this helps
s
orry for the terrible drawing!

why is it -ums^-1 at 4 seconds? and also what does the are under a velocity time graph represent?
Original post by emma3

In june 2002, june 2001 and jan 09 you could lose 13 or 14 marks and still get full ums, so it indicates that these paers had some very hard questions in :smile: Normally you need full marks to get full ums!
Original post by nm786
why is it -ums^-1 at 4 seconds? and also what does the are under a velocity time graph represent?

Distance
Is it just me or do people find M1 to be so much effort to concentrate on? With the other modules (especially core) I can just do one part at a time, requiring minimal concentration. With M1 though, I see some hench paragraph with a diagram which was clearly stolen from NASA's shuttle blueprints, and I have to focus otherwise I don't take in anything I read.
Reply 358
Original post by arnab
Any help with this question?

At time t = 0, a football player kicks a ball from the point A with position vector (2i + j) m
on a horizontal football field. The motion of the ball is modelled as that of a particle
moving horizontally with constant velocity (5i + 8j) m s–1. Find
(a) the speed of the ball,

(b) the position vector of the ball after t seconds.

The point B on the field has position vector (10i + 7j) m.

(c) Find the time when the ball is due north of B.

At time t = 0, another player starts running due north from B and moves with constant
speed v m s–1. Given that he intercepts the ball,

d) find the value of v.

I worked out part a, b, c but have no idea as to how to do part d :'(

Is the answer for d) 4.25 ? If it is, I'll explain how I did it, if not - I'll have to re-think, haha
Reply 359
Original post by areebmazhar
In june 2002, june 2001 and jan 09 you could lose 13 or 14 marks and still get full ums, so it indicates that these paers had some very hard questions in :smile: Normally you need full marks to get full ums!

Thank you! I did Jan 09 a while back, I'll re-do that paper and do the 2001/2 ones as well :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending