The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PoGo HoPz
Isn't the second to last one The Grey? :holmes:

Not bad :h:

Did anyone manage to guess the third or fourth one? :unsure:

If I've read the order correctly, the third one looks like Hunt for Red Ocober and the fourth one looks like Red Tails to me.
Just finished rewatching Godard's Bande à part. It being the first Godard film I ever saw, I thought it may have been a fluke; that is, my regarding it as the best film he's ever made. Nope. It's still amazing, and Anna Karina in her heyday was the most beautiful woman alive. There is no discussion on the matter; it is fact.

I feel obligated to list my ten favourite Godard films:

1. Bande à part
2. À bout de souffle
3. Une Femme est un femme
4. Vivre sa Vie
5. Pierrot le Fou
6. Alphaville
7. Masculin Féminin
8. Le Mépris
9. Le Petit Soldat
10. Une Femme Mariée

La Chinoise not included, chiefly because it's absolutely ****ing dire.
Original post by Phalanges
If I've read the order correctly, the third one looks like Hunt for Red Ocober and the fourth one looks like Red Tails to me.

isn't the fourth one porco rosso?
Original post by Mister Dead
isn't the fourth one porco rosso?
I reckon it is. :yep:

It's that boat one that I'm having trouble with. :unsure:
Deep blue sea
Original post by Colonel.
Deep blue sea
I'm not so sure. That would mean that there are two blues, wouldn't it? The Blues Brothers and Deep Blue Sea. I thought that all the colours were different?
any ideas about very very good comedies??:smile::biggrin:
Original post by ioikonomou

Try Kiss Kiss Bang Bang which is more of a black comedy. There is also Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Johnny English, Zombieland and the Pink Panther. Anchorman is another one that's popular with people, I haven't quite made up my mind about it.
Original post by ioikonomou

Life of Brian, Superbad and Bridesmaids

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Try Kiss Kiss Bang Bang which is more of a black comedy. There is also Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Johnny English, Zombieland and the Pink Panther. Anchorman is another one that's popular with people, I haven't quite made up my mind about it.

Anchorman is not a film I like that much, it seems to just be a cult hit. Checked your facebook?
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

I'm ashamed to say that I severely underestimated that film before I actually saw it, (RDJ's role as Iron Man may have contributed to that), though I must say, I enjoyed it immensely. Kilmer referring to his derringer as, erm, a 'certain' gun was obscenely entertaining.

Definitely a good offbeat film.
Reply 6310
Seeing Dark Shadows tomorrow. Not expecting to like it. Yet another remake/re-imagining from Burton. STOP IT.
i'm going to stick my neck out and predict that it'll be an absolute turkey of a film. it's fairly safe to completely ignore anything burton does thesedays. of course one day he'll make a decent film and nobody will realise until he's dead. and johnny depp is a pretty safe bet for turkeys thesedays also, possibly by association.
and johnny depp is a pretty safe bet for turkeys thesedays also, possibly by association.

I was going to say he has a fresh film coming up in the Lone Ranger where he might be able to get away from the samey roles he's being cast in but then I saw the cast list (Helena Bonham Carter) and a picture for it:

And it's not even directed by Tim Burton. :nooo: In fact, he remarkably similar to Jack Sparrow...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by philistine
I'm ashamed to say that I severely underestimated that film before I actually saw it, (RDJ's role as Iron Man may have contributed to that), though I must say, I enjoyed it immensely. Kilmer referring to his derringer as, erm, a 'certain' gun was obscenely entertaining.

Definitely a good offbeat film.

Did you not like him in Iron Man then? Incidentally, the director of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is signed on to direct Iron Man 3.

Original post by chancellorroberts

Anchorman is not a film I like that much, it seems to just be a cult hit. Checked your facebook?

Have now. :smile:
it's been a splendid fortnight at my local picture house with House, Dark City, Mulholland Drive and Repo Man on the late Saturday night showings and 'Two Years at Sea' this evening - a semi-silent docu type film about a bloke living a lone life in a dilapidated shack in rural Aberdeenshire.

An to top it off, I saw the my first big screen trail for the new Wes Anderson. And it looks great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N8wkVA4_8s
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6315
I CANNOT WAIT for Moonrise Kingdom. It looks amazing.
An to top it off, I saw the my first big screen trail for the new Wes Anderson. And it looks great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N8wkVA4_8s
Never heard of this before now, looks good! Is it based on a novel? :smile:
No I think it's an original screenplay - uk release Friday 25th May
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by aja89
Seeing Dark Shadows tomorrow. Not expecting to like it. Yet another remake/re-imagining from Burton. STOP IT.

It's funny, but not a great film. there's a reveal in the last ten minutes that'll make you go "WTF!"
Original post by Colonel.
It's funny, but not a great film. there's a reveal in the last ten minutes that'll make you go "WTF!"

Hmmm didn't seem very coherent to me. They didn't spend enough time making the romance work so the whole thing felt a bit forced IMO. Also, the best jokes were already in the trailer - never good!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending