The Student Room Group

How do you guys deal with road rage?

Just curious. I've been driving for about 5 years now and I'd like to think that I'm a pretty calm driver.

Every so often though, something happens that makes my blood boil. Case and point: today I was turning left out of a side road onto a main. It's clear so I start to pull out. Just as I do though, I see someone in an X5 on the opposite side trying to do a frickin 3-point turn. Yep on a main road...He was holding up traffic and so because I was in no rush I flashed for him to go ahead. The douchebag doesn't move. Now a bus is coming from my side so I don't move either and wait for it to pass. After, the other driver still hasn't moved so I think "screw this" start to pull out...and he takes that moment to do the same?!

So now we are pretty much bumper to bumper, but figure since he can reverse a bit he can then pull forward after and go about his way. THE DOUCHEBAG DOESN'T MOVE!!! Now I'm frustrated and he is giving me a dirty look (at this point I notice the ****er wearing sunglasses despite having tinted windows and it being overcast). Traffic is built up now on both sides so I just pull back a bit so he has space. Before he does though, he stops for a moment, mouths "****er" at me then speeds off. :angry:

Now a car behind me is waiting to pull out and presses his horn so I move out and go on my way.

Still it really wound me up I feel like I should have reacted, though I'm not sure how, even if it wouldn't have achieved anything.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've only really had just over a month of 'real life' driving but I've been abused twice, with 'P' plates on, may I add (First time: leaving the car park at the O2, was a bit far away from the ticket machine, so took about 2 mins extra to get out, some idiot decides to beep me constantly then puts his middle finger up at me when I finally did get out LOL. Second time: putting petrol in my car, taking a bit long - was putting in like 35+ litres, I'm pretty sure some woman said 'fcking c*** at me!! I turned around in shock but she had driven off!). It kind of shocked me but I was like whatever, it was my friend who abused the first guy haha.

I think because I'm concentrating on the road so much it doesn't really bother me at the moment but I'm going to try and stay as calm as I can when I start to relax more, and just try and not let it get to me. Maybe you should too?
(edited 11 years ago)
I only got my car just over a month ago so haven't had much time to deal with road rage yet but there is one things that really pisses me off and happens frequently. Everytime I drive home from Cardiff (for some reason it's only going home not on the way in) the people of the dual carriageway drive me crazy. People pull out to overtake and then do about 50mph so I get stuck behind them for ages as they don't pull back in, even when there is space. I think the only time I get over 50 in that lane is later at night when the road isn't very busy:s-smilie:

The other day as well, on the same bit of road I was overtaking some cars and then saw that the car I was just about to overtake was my housemate but then the bus in front of me put their brakes on although the cars ahead where still going fine. I then got stuck behind a bus doing 40mph fo ages and it wouldn't pull over. My housemate ended up driving passed the bus on the inside lane!

Just realised I didn't actual answer the question, the deal with it the only way I can, driving at 50mph and shouting to myself hurry the f**k up and drive haha
(edited 11 years ago)
If someone does something dangerous in front of me then I usually just slam the horn for about 5 seconds. I don't normally get that angry.

However I have also been on the receiving end twice. Once when someone clearly thought 29 in 30 was too slow, so they overtook me then brake tested me which was pretty scary. The other being when I mouthed dickhead at someone who went to let me out then changed their mind. They then proceeded to turn around, follow me then block me in outside my friends house asking why they were a dickhead before warning me not to do it again. He was built like a brick **** house as well so I think i'll probably be a bit more careful in the future. :tongue:
I usually make sarcastic comments and have a swearing fest. However, I don't have a go at the driver, I just carry on.

However, people seem to be absolutely vile towards me. When I was pulling out, there was a car coming, but was quite far away, and then the driver decided to speed up and overtake me, sticking his middle finger up in the mirror.

I've also had bus drivers having a go when I needed to turn left off a dual carriageway. People who work at the hospital park on the slip road, so you have to slow down on the carriageway, and he decided to hold down the horn. I'm sorry, but I am not going around the bend at 50mph!

I have never had a go at another driver. I just make a comment to myself and carry on. However, others don't seem to have the same courtesy...
Reply 5
Original post by Fergo
If someone does something dangerous in front of me then I usually just slam the horn for about 5 seconds. I don't normally get that angry.

However I have also been on the receiving end twice. Once when someone clearly thought 29 in 30 was too slow, so they overtook me then brake tested me which was pretty scary. The other being when I mouthed dickhead at someone who went to let me out then changed their mind. They then proceeded to turn around, follow me then block me in outside my friends house asking why they were a dickhead before warning me not to do it again. He was built like a brick **** house as well so I think i'll probably be a bit more careful in the future. :tongue:

Ahh, I'd be terrified of being stabbed or something. :nooo:
Original post by ummm
Ahh, I'd be terrified of being stabbed or something. :nooo:

When I actually realised it was the same car that i'd seen a few minutes ago, bricks were ****. :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by lauraaaa.xo
I only got my car just over a month ago so haven't had much time to deal with road rage yet but there is one things that really pisses me off and happens frequently. Everytime I drive home from Cardiff (for some reason it's only going home not on the way in) the people of the dual carriageway drive me crazy. People pull out to overtake and then do about 50mph so I get stuck behind them for ages as they don't pull back in, even when there is space. I think the only time I get over 50 in that lane is later at night when the road isn't very busy:s-smilie:

The other day as well, on the same bit of road I was overtaking some cars and then saw that the car I was just about to overtake was my housemate but then the bus in front of me put their brakes on although the cars ahead where still going fine. I then got stuck behind a bus doing 40mph fo ages and it wouldn't pull over. My housemate ended up driving passed the bus on the inside lane!

Just realised I didn't actual answer the question, the deal with it the only way I can, driving at 50mph and shouting to myself hurry the f**k up and drive haha

Yeah I hate that so much too ... I usually go up behind them and they duck inside though. If they don't they get a few cheeky flicks of the indicator in the direction I want them to go...
Reply 8
i have really bad road rage id have lowered my window down and gave him all sort of ****

i have also paid a fair few fines for smashing of windows

how i still have a licence is beyond me
Thats why me and my mates carry baseball bats in our vehicles.
Jump out not seeking to harm anyone, wave your bat around, shut a few words walk towards their car THEY WILL BE OFF LIKE BOLT in the 100m.

Police try take my mate into custody once for having a 'weapon' in his car but nothing happened as he had a glove and ball in his boot. Its funny to LOL in coppers faces.
Original post by 2_plus_X_equal_me
Thats why me and my mates carry baseball bats in our vehicles.
Jump out not seeking to harm anyone, wave your bat around, shut a few words walk towards their car THEY WILL BE OFF LIKE BOLT in the 100m.

Police try take my mate into custody once for having a 'weapon' in his car but nothing happened as he had a glove and ball in his boot. Its funny to LOL in coppers faces.

yeah i have a gun license as im part of a gun club

so one day while travelling to the range i was pulled over

they found it and tried to arrest me for possession of a fire-arm i was like hell no i have a license which stats i can keep it locked up in my house and move it to the gun club at my leisure

hate the police just cause they got bullied in school doesn't mean they should take it out on us people who weren't complete failures
Reply 11

Read the highway code. The only thing forbidden (in terms of speed differences in lanes) is undertaking - moving up behind them in their lane, pulling into a slower lane to move past them, and back in front of them into their lane again. If you're in the situation as you describe, simply move past them in the slow lane. So long as you don't pull out in front of them in their lane, it's not counted as undertaking, but simply 'there being a difference in the moving speed of each lane'. How do you think people in traffic james are allowed to move in the slow lane if it's the only one moving?

Admittedly not many people understand this rule and mum told me off when she was in the car and I did it until I told her to read that section of the highway code and now she does it too. It's incredibly useful when all the arrogant cocks are blocking up lane 2 and 3 doing about 50mph but lane one is flowing freely at 70mph.
I had a woman beep me ON THE PETROL COURT the other day to hurry up and leave my pump.

I had got into my car literally 30-40 seconds earlier and was doing my handbag up so that stuff didn't fall out and roll under the pedals.

Geez. Some drivers need to calm down.
Reply 13
I don't really get angry when I'm driving, but I do think poor, inconsiderate or inattentive drivers should be given appropriate feedback for their actions by way of a tooting horn, a ****er sign and a brief explanation as to their error. How else are they meant to improve?
Reply 14
Original post by Pandabär
I had a woman beep me ON THE PETROL COURT the other day to hurry up and leave my pump.

I had got into my car literally 30-40 seconds earlier and was doing my handbag up so that stuff didn't fall out and roll under the pedals.

That is quite annoying when the person in front doesn't show a little bit of consideration in ensuring that they pull off in a timely manner.

I would never be so rude as to sit there fiddling with something when there was someone waiting behind me. Can you not do you handbag up as you're walking back to your car?
Reply 15
Original post by Nuffles
Read the highway code. The only thing forbidden (in terms of speed differences in lanes) is undertaking - moving up behind them in their lane, pulling into a slower lane to move past them, and back in front of them into their lane again. If you're in the situation as you describe, simply move past them in the slow lane. So long as you don't pull out in front of them in their lane, it's not counted as undertaking, but simply 'there being a difference in the moving speed of each lane'. How do you think people in traffic james are allowed to move in the slow lane if it's the only one moving?

Admittedly not many people understand this rule and mum told me off when she was in the car and I did it until I told her to read that section of the highway code and now she does it too. It's incredibly useful when all the arrogant cocks are blocking up lane 2 and 3 doing about 50mph but lane one is flowing freely at 70mph.

Absolutely - quite often on busy motorways I find lane 1 is virtually empty, and I can just calmly cruise past all the morons sitting in lanes 2 and 3.

Undertaking is only illegal when you whizz past someone and then cut them up pulling out again. If you're able to drift by them on the left, then you're doing the correct thing by occupying the left move available lane, they're the ones at fault.
Original post by Nuffles

I didn't realise that, I thought it still counted as undertaking. I passed my test 2 years ago but only just got a car so I have only skimmed the highway code since then tbh! Obviously I know in traffic jams you can go at different speeds but in that instance you don't have much choice whereas pulling in to the slow lane to go past someone you have made that decision. Either way I will remember that for the next time I drive that way or anywhere where I am in that situation haha thanks:smile:
Original post by py0alb
That is quite annoying when the person in front doesn't show a little bit of consideration in ensuring that they pull off in a timely manner.

I would never be so rude as to sit there fiddling with something when there was someone waiting behind me. Can you not do you handbag up as you're walking back to your car?

Nope, it was in the car. And it took only 30-40 seconds, from me getting in the car to pulling away- if she was in a hurry, she should have pulled onto another pump.

I'm not going to risk my life/ the lives of people I may crash into because I was too worried about making the person behind me wait 30 seconds. I'd do it again. :tongue:
Original post by Pandabär

It annoys me when people do that but I usually feel bad that I will take a while faffing sorting my bag out and stuff lol. Sometimes if i'm going somewhere I don't know I fill up first then need to put my sat nav on so I usually just pull out of the way to the side of the fore court to sort myself out and allow others to fill up or if its a supermarket petrol station just pull into a parking space if i'm going to take quite a while.
It annoys me when people do that but I usually feel bad that I will take a while faffing sorting my bag out and stuff lol. Sometimes if i'm going somewhere I don't know I fill up first then need to put my sat nav on so I usually just pull out of the way to the side of the fore court to sort myself out and allow others to fill up or if its a supermarket petrol station just pull into a parking space if i'm going to take quite a while.

I think it's a bit unnecessary though if it:

a) takes a matter of seconds.
b) there are other pumps available!

Think of your blood pressure people and chill! :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest