The Student Room Group

Higher Graphic Communication 2012

Hey guys,

I noticed there wasn't a thread for this, so I thought I'd make one since the exam is on Friday.

The fact there hasn't been a thread created already is probably due to the fact that you can hardly ask for help for a drawing on this - well, not effectively anyway.

But if anyone wants to talk/ask about any part of the course (especially KI, although it's quite straightforward), or just generally want to say how you're feeling about this exam, then go for it! :biggrin:

Personally, I'm feeling ok for this exam. I won't find it that easy (because I generally don't find the subject that easy), but I'll see how it goes.

My predictions for the possible drawings are:

Measured Perspective (always comes up)

Auxiliary (usually comes up in some form or another)

Interpenetration of two pipes (hasn't come up in a couple of years, plus I love this one!)

Sectional views (again, always comes up)

Maybe a planometric or isometric drawing for the optional drawing.

For KI, I'm just doing loads of past papers, and repeating them over and over...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Trying to revise for this a complete pain. It's different for English, History etc because you have paper 1 & 2, whereas for this you'd have to sit 3 hours to do one past paper. I feel alright about it though, everything apart from Interpenetration I know I can have a good crack at. Feeling so-so on KI, but overall I think the exam should be alright. What grade are you hoping for? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Coletti888
Trying to revise for this a complete pain. It's different for English, History etc because you have paper 1 & 2, whereas for this you'd have to sit 3 hours to do one past paper. I feel alright about it though, everything apart from Interpenetration I know I can have a good crack at. Feeling so-so on KI, but overall I think the exam should be alright. What grade are you hoping for? :smile:

I know what you mean, there's only so many drawings you can do really...

I'd love an A (who wouldn't?), and if I can get above 30 in the KI, and at get at least a few drawings done (like I said, I'm not great at the subject) then it should definitely be possible to get an A (since I got 54-56 [can't remember] for my thematic :smile: ).

You?
Reply 3
I think I'd be happy getting a B, especially since I didn't want to take it to begin. Don't know what I got for thematic, but I'm confident it'll be well past 40, hopefully.
Reply 4
Original post by Coletti888
I think I'd be happy getting a B, especially since I didn't want to take it to begin. Don't know what I got for thematic, but I'm confident it'll be well past 40, hopefully.

I didn't particularly want to pick it at the start either really, but it was the only subject I would have taken out of the other options in that column. I'm probably going to find this harder than AH physics to be honest... :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by RyJ
My predictions for the possible drawings are:

Measured Perspective (always comes up)

Auxiliary (usually comes up in some form or another)

Interpenetration of two pipes (hasn't come up in a couple of years, plus I love this one!)

Sectional views (again, always comes up)

Maybe a planometric or isometric drawing for the optional drawing.

For KI, I'm just doing loads of past papers, and repeating them over and over...

Measured Perspective - may be in the compulsory section or choice section. No guarantee it will come up ! It does not always come up.

Aux. Views - it will come up as the Principal Assessors report always says it's done badly on average across all candidates - ie it's a weak area by candidates. It may be part of a 30 mark - integrated -question.

Sections - always comes up as it is in both TG units so good way to sample across all units. You nearly always assemble first - which can be copying three elevations and assemble - before adding cut surfaces (hatching)

Isometric - is uncommon but may come up this year, tends to be complex and not always a complex curve or circle/curves.

Obliques and Tangency are becoming more common.

Floorplans are due to come up, I hope.

TOP TIPS

Easy recall questions =
Know your - linetypes, dimension types, conventions, section types
Know your - 3 Ps, 3 Industries, DTP terminology

Drawing
Interpenetration, identify the circle that is on two views, divide up like the clock and project across/down.
Aux. Eelvation or Plan - project and construct curves from given view(s) probably a curve shape. Use clock face.

From an A Grade Higher pupil last year, 'Do all the written questions first for 20mins, then spend 20mins on each drawing then go back
and finish what drawings you can.' It's very easy to spend too long on one drawing killing time for the other drawings. Hardest thing is to do five drawings in three hours.

Good Luck all.

(Teacher of GC for 15 years - class pass rates above national average)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Mr_T_Scots
Measured Perspective - may be in the compulsory section or choice section. No guarantee it will come up ! It does not always come up.

Aux. Views - it will come up as the Principal Assessors report always says it's done badly on average across all candidates - ie it's a weak area by candidates. It may be part of a 30 mark - integrated -question.

Sections - always comes up as it is in both TG units so good way to sample across all units. You nearly always assemble first - which can be copying three elevations and assemble - before adding cut surfaces (hatching)

Isometric - is uncommon but may come up this year, tends to be complex and not always a complex curve or circle/curves.

Obliques and Tangency are becoming more common.

Floorplans are due to come up, I hope.

TOP TIPS

Easy recall questions =
Know your - linetypes, dimension types, conventions, section types
Know your - 3 Ps, 3 Industries, DTP terminology

Drawing
Interpenetration, identify the circle that is on two views, divide up like the clock and project across/down.
Aux. Eelvation or Plan - project and construct curves from given view(s) probably a curve shape. Use clock face.

From an A Grade Higher pupil last year, 'Do all the written questions first for 20mins, then spend 20mins on each drawing then go back
and finish what drawings you can.' It's very easy to spend too long on one drawing killing time for the other drawings. Hardest thing is to do five drawings in three hours.

Good Luck all.

(Teacher of GC for 15 years - class pass rates above national average)

Personally, I don't think tangency will come up as a stand-alone question this year, because it did last year and I've noticed it popping up alternating years. However, it might come up as part of an optional question. OR it might come up again this year, you never know!

What do you think the likelihood of an interpenetration question coming up this year? I've noticed they've been quite scarce, with the most recent appearance was 2010, before that was 2007.

P.S. Thanks for the tips!
Reply 7
Not even begun revising for this yet but I got an A in the prelim and full marks on the folio so I'm confident enough. Hoping for a measured perspective!
Reply 8
Original post by ScottishDan
Not even begun revising for this yet but I got an A in the prelim and full marks on the folio so I'm confident enough. Hoping for a measured perspective!

Aww nice! Your thematic must have been amazing! I got an A in my prelim too, well, with my thematic added to it. I'd normally hope that there wouldn't be a section in the exam, but hell will freeze over before that happens, I just hope it's straightforward...
Reply 9
Hey, is the written questions and drawings worth the same or are the drawing worth more? :smile: I'm sure I have it written down somewhere but I can't find it! Much better at the drawing questions, by far.
Reply 10
Original post by rwxx
Hey, is the written questions and drawings worth the same or are the drawing worth more? :smile: I'm sure I have it written down somewhere but I can't find it! Much better at the drawing questions, by far.

The KI (written part) is worth 40 marks; the drawings are worth 100 marks :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by RyJ
The KI (written part) is worth 40 marks; the drawings are worth 100 marks :smile:

Ahhhhh thank god for that, such a relief! Hardly studied any KI, probably should've started before now, but if it's only 40 marks then that's such a relief! Thank you :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by rwxx
Ahhhhh thank god for that, such a relief! Hardly studied any KI, probably should've started before now, but if it's only 40 marks then that's such a relief! Thank you :smile:

No worries :biggrin: The KI's relatively straight forward anyway, you should be fine.
Reply 13
Original post by RyJ
No worries :biggrin: The KI's relatively straight forward anyway, you should be fine.

Should be! Didn't study at all for standard grade and I've not found the jump to higher to be that big anyway, surely I'll be able to get a decent amount of marks :smile:
Anyone know the pass marks? So if I got 60 on the folio and say full marks, 40, in the theory; how much more marks do I need for an A?
Reply 15
Anyone know the pass marks? So if I got 60 on the folio and say full marks, 40, in the theory; how much more marks do I need for an A?

It's roughly 140 for an A, so you'd need 40 of the 100 in drawings, assuming you got 40 in the KI :biggrin:
I'm pretty sure the drawings are out of 80?
Reply 17
I'm pretty sure the drawings are out of 80?

Definitely 100. The whole course is out of 200:

KI = 40 marks

Thematic = 60 marks

Drawings = 100 marks

Well in every past paper they've been out of 80.. I just checked..
Oh no you're right, I was being stupid haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending