The Student Room Group

AS Sociology Unit 1: Families & Households 17th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

I second the above! I love how people on here are right with the predicitons, as childhood did come up! :smile:

2 mark - Definitely know I got no marks, never heard of the term, but no now -.- If only it said 'what's a dual burdan'

4 marks - 1st point talked about secularisation being on the increase, religion is no longer being attached
- 2nd Cohabitation is more common, people no longer get married, and stay together without being married

6 marks - 1st point - Talked about better healthcare eg: nutrtion, better standards of living = Thomas mckeown
- 2nd point - People living longer, due to once adults reach adulthood
- 3rd point - Can't remember what I put :/

24 mark childhood essay - Did a intro, outlined 3 points - Such as compulsory schooling 2) Laws such as 'The child act, every child matters agenda & talked about Philliap aries/ Postman & society being more child centred and a conclusion

24 mark diversity essay - Intro, mentioned 3 points such as; Lone parents, Homosexuality, Cohabiting couples with evidence & contrast for each point, ended with a conclusion

* Would be gratful if someone could tell me how I've done, soo scared, because this was a re-take & I'm really hoping I got a C this time. Thanks in advance, Also would you say this was enough for a C???xx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 181
Original post by InOneDirection
I second the above! I love how people on here are right with the predicitons, as childhood did come up! :smile:

2 mark - Definitely know I got no marks, never heard of the term, but no now -.- If only it said 'what's a dual burdan'

4 marks - 1st point talked about secularisation being on the increase, religion is no longer being attached
- 2nd Cohabitation is more common, people no longer get married, and stay together without being married

6 marks - 1st point - Talked about better healthcare eg: nutrtion, better standards of living = Thomas mckeown

24 mark childhood essay - Did a intro, outlined 3 points - Such as compulsory schooling 2) Laws such as 'The child act, every child matters agenda & talked about Philliap aries/ Postman & society being more child centred and a conclusion

24 mark diversity essay - Intro, mentioned 3 points such as; Lone parents, Homosexuality, Cohabiting couples with evidence & contrast for each point, ended with a conclusion

* Would be gratful if someone could tell me how I've done, soo scared, because this was a re-take & I'm really hoping I got a C this time. Thanks in advance, Also would you say this was enough for a C???xx

You got the six mark question wrong as it asked you three effects not causes of an ageing population. So that would be things like strain of healthcare systems, more social benefits being paid out like the pension etc.
Reply 182
Had no idea what the first question was so I know I lost two marks... really worried that I didn't evaluate enough but was really happy with the childhood question. The other one, not so much :s-smilie:
Reply 183
Wow that was so rushed my hand writing seriously messed up at the end, but I think I should have improved my C.. hopefully. I don't like the timing in this paper. Can anyone that is doing or has done A2 AQA Sociology tell me if there is a one hour exam where you have to write two essays and little questions too?
Reply 184
Original post by JenniGold
Wow that was so rushed my hand writing seriously messed up at the end, but I think I should have improved my C.. hopefully. I don't like the timing in this paper. Can anyone that is doing or has done A2 AQA Sociology tell me if there is a one hour exam where you have to write two essays and little questions too?

Two papers -

SCLY3 - 1hr 30 minutes. One 9 mark question, one 18 mark question and one 33 mark question. Total - 60 marks.

SCLY4 is more content heavy and is a 2 hour paper.
Reply 185
how the hell can you finish that paper in one hour? even if you spend one minute per mark, you still need time to plan your essays *shakes head

this is my 3rd time retaking, :angry:. i keep geting B's. hopefully i got an A this time, sadly i doubt that :frown:, hahaa.
I thought it went well but afterwards when I was sitting listening to everyone talking about what they had written I started to get nervous :frown:

Question 1 - I was a bit thrown off because in our textbook it is referred to as a 'matrilocal' household, not a 'matrifocal' household. I wrote that it is a female centered household which radical feminists such as Greer advocate instead of patriarchy.

Question 2 - I wrote decline in stigma attached to alternatives to marriage such as cohabitation. I also wrote impact of secularisation.

Question 3 - I got the first 2 (increases burden of dependency, increase in number of one-person pensioner households) and then for the third I literally didn't have a clue :confused: I wrote 'increase in beanpole families' but I'm not really sure why I did that because I literally don't have a clue what a beanpole family is...

Question 4 - The 'last 50 years or so' really threw me off. I started off by explaining how childhood is socially constructed. The first thing I mentioned was Pilcher's notion of separateness and the reasons why she thinks this. I then contrasted this with Postman and the notion that childhood is disappearing and went round in circles and contrasted Postman with Opie. I then wrote about how childhood as in experience has improved in the last 50 years, casually sneaking in a spot of the oul Aries. I mentioned the NHS and how healthcare has improved for children, leading to a fall in IMR. Then at the end I went back, did an asterisk and just wrote 'FAMILY SIZE - CHILD CENTEREDNESS'. Then I wrote about Palmer's notion of toxic childhood backed up by Margo and Dixon and refuted by Womack. In my last paragraph I wrote a really hurried explanation of the Marxist perspective of childhood, using Benedict's notion of cross-cultural comparison. I wrote about low birth weight babies and Bhatti's thoughts on family honour in Asian families. I also wrote a bit about Gittens and age patriarchy.

Question 5 - I seem to have taken a completely different approach to this question than everyone who I spoke to. I barely mentioned anything about the background of the nuclear family (Parsons, Murdock, etc) I just jumped straight in to explaining how family diversity has made the nuclear family decline. The first thing I was mentioned was divorce and how this has created more lone-parent families, which feminist sociologists such as Bernard see as liberating for women as they are breaking free from the patriarchy of the nuclear family. I then went on to speak about how the New Right see lone-parent families ie. Charles Murray. I then went on to talk about cohabitation and how this has increased, but only as a step towards marriage as Chester and Coast argue. I then contrasted this with Bejin's theory that people cohabit as a deliberate life choice. I then went through the whole Chester thing about statistic being misleading and life course analysis and the neo-conventional nuclear family. After that I talked a bit about the Rapoports and the postmodernist perspective using Weeks to discuss gay families.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 187
hey there!

had to repeat this module today cuse i got a d the last time :frown:
to start off with does anyone know what that definition was?never heard of it !

for the decline in marriage i said
-cost- weddings costing over £17,000
-fear of dicorce- 40% end in divorce
thats all i wrote for that would it get me 4 marks??

also for the aging population i wrote
those seeking pensions means that the middle-class working population will have to work longer.
Also because the ageing are prone to health problems and illness medical care will need to be improved.
Eventually the ageing will die, resulting in a reduction in the population and the birth rate will decrease becase few mothers are having children, this means that there will be few young educated people to fill the gaps and jobs of the ageing population.
Matrifocal is a family headed by a female, opposite of patriarchal
Reply 189
Ahhhhh messed up on the 2 marker,

4 and 6 markers we're easy,

24 essay: childhood... messed up big time i got all the theory down just messed up with sociologist names lol -.- it was the first thing i revised so had to do a lot of memory thinking

24 essay: diversity, i mentioned all the type of alternatives apart from step families, their statistics whether declining or increasing why who agrees who doesn't linked it to the question of why it has increased diversity and also talked about ethnic minorities! used quite a lot of sociologist also ^^

I'm guessing i got about half marks for childhood and near to full marks in the diversity essay, ahhhhhhhh stresss!!! revised so hard on the other topics lol, nonetheless can still get an A if i own the education paperrrrrrrrrrrrrr
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 190
Question one, Matrifocal... Patri is male Matri is female, focal well i thought focal point is something you focus on so female focussed family? but really just say A household headed by a female I think.

Original post by InOneDirection

Your 6 marker answers were all very similar so not sure if thats worth the full amount.

I spoke to my teacher after the exam and she was convinced that postman, aries etc were correct but in my own personal opinion I disagree. It asked about the experience of childhood which to me sounds like it wants March of Progress, Conflict, Age Patriarchy etc so you could bring in firestone for that, then for some evaluation I used interactionalists and cultural theorists to say not all childhood expierences are the same so it shouldn't be generalised.

You might be fine for that last essay although again I didn't write about that, I put stuff about Beck, Giddens, Weeks who focus on diversity quoting the item a few times to back up my new right arguements, concluded with chester saying that it's hard to say that the nuclear family is decreasing as he says people still aspire to be nuclear families etc.

Although I could be wrong, what do we think?
Reply 191
Would be nice if somebody could post the mark bands if you know em

10/60 - U
20/60 - E etc lol
Reply 192
i dont know what to think?
did i mess it up?
Reply 193
Original post by TooMuchG
Would be nice if somebody could post the mark bands if you know em

10/60 - U
20/60 - E etc lol

i think that to get an A you need at least 44/60
am i right?
Original post by titch_04
Had no idea what the first question was so I know I lost two marks... really worried that I didn't evaluate enough but was really happy with the childhood question. The other one, not so much :s-smilie:

Same! Hoping for a C
Original post by lumayaa
how the hell can you finish that paper in one hour? even if you spend one minute per mark, you still need time to plan your essays *shakes head

this is my 3rd time retaking, :angry:. i keep geting B's. hopefully i got an A this time, sadly i doubt that :frown:, hahaa.

Why are you retaking it so much?
Reply 196
Hi, howd everyone find the test?
I thought my essays were okay-ishh. but unsure of how well i answered my small markers.

However for my Q2, i wrote that (decline in first marriages) it was because of increase in cohabitiation meaning less people marry and that the increase in divorce, put people off getting married. (i expanded the points slightly more in the exam). Does anyone reckon those points are correct?

Also, Q3, (ageing population) I wrote that, increase no. of one person household, increase no. of highly talented jobs needed, eg, doctors. and that it meant goverment needed an increase in revenue to pay out pensions. (Again, i expanded these points in the exam)

Can anyone tell me if will get full marks for them? itd be a great help if you could!!
Reply 197
Original post by shauna101
i think that to get an A you need at least 44/60
am i right?

i think you need 46/60 for an A
Reply 198
really im not so sure i looked at the AQA and i think it was somewhere round that
i dont know what to make of it?
im not sure if i answered the 4marks and 6marker right

did u refer to the item?
Reply 199
it would be really helpful if someone could post me on what they thought of my answers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending