The Student Room Group

OCR B G491, 17th May 2012 Morning.

Scroll to see replies

Also, any ideas about what the last question was looking for? How did y'all answer it?
I think I got about 45 - 50 raw marks.
What do you think the grade boundaries will be like? Did you find it easy/hard?
I personally thought that it was harder than many past papers (then again, everyone always thinks that the exam they sit is the hardest ever) although at the same time fairer than the others.
The only questions I am unsure on are:
The bandwidth question;
The polymer question;
the last question.
I also messed up at least one of the electricity calculations, but I reckon I bossed section A, apart from the estimates at the end! Did you get 0.5 then 0.05 for them?
Original post by Rhiiannaa
but i thought you had to find the resistance not the internal resistance?

I used the formula: E= I(R+r)

Yes but in fomula book its V=E-Ir but i rearranged to get R
Reply 183
Original post by hihihihihi
Yes but in fomula book its V=E-Ir but i rearranged to get R

i dont get it, ahaah
oh well i must be wrong anyway!
60 minutes is not long enough for that exam.
Did you find it hard/easy?
Original post by When you see it...

IKR the AQA as students had 75 min!
Reply 187
Everyone at my school found the exam really really hard :/ it wasn't a very good exam :/ but now I'm worried just need to well in the next one now, but I think the first exam is harder than the first anyway :/ well I hope it is
Original post by MehakV
Everyone at my school found the exam really really hard :/ it wasn't a very good exam :/ but now I'm worried just need to well in the next one now, but I think the first exam is harder than the first anyway :/ well I hope it is

I hope everyone does bad so grade boundaries are low...
Reply 189
Original post by hihihihihi
I hope everyone does bad so grade boundaries are low...

Haha, i honestly hope so, they need to be a lot lower than usual, what do you think the grade boundaries will be?
I did every question except that one about the resistance of the voltmeter and the voltage drop :frown:. Hope the grade boundaries are lower, although in recent exams the grade boundaries have increased from around 30 - 39 to 40 - 46...
Reply 191
Yeah i have noticed they have gone up aswell :/ which isnt a good sign but it honestly was a hard exam so lets hope the examiners feel sorry for us :frown:
Original post by When you see it...

Seriously? you guys must be sitting it first time, it was like the nicest paper ive ever seen
I found this exam okayish, but probably made a few stupid mistakes! Not many people are posting answers so here's what I got from what I can remember.. :smile:

The materials question about linking the boxes I said that strain = force per unit area, hard = difficult to indent, tough = needs alot of energy to break and stiff was the other definition can't remember what it said now!
The question about the lens and the magnification, I got magnification = v/u and 0.001.
When it asked about the number of sig figs I said 4, and the % uncertainty I got 0.098% so 0.01%.
The bandwidth question I got something like 4.47x10^8? Though that seems very large so is probably wrong.
The polymer question, I said that the atoms were covalently bonded and rotational so could be stretched elastically and after reaching the elastic limit 'necking' occured.
The question about polarised light I simply said that polarised light only oscillates in one direction? Not sure how that added up to 3 marks though!
The very last question about the 3D glasses I ran out of time for and just wrote 'the orientation of the polarised filters changes'

Someone please say they got similiar to this!
Reply 194
Original post by clomitch
I found this exam okayish, but probably made a few stupid mistakes! Not many people are posting answers so here's what I got from what I can remember.. :smile:

The materials question about linking the boxes I said that strain = force per unit area, hard = difficult to indent, tough = needs alot of energy to break and stiff was the other definition can't remember what it said now!
The question about the lens and the magnification, I got magnification = v/u and 0.001.
When it asked about the number of sig figs I said 4, and the % uncertainty I got 0.098% so 0.01%.
The bandwidth question I got something like 4.47x10^8? Though that seems very large so is probably wrong.
The polymer question, I said that the atoms were covalently bonded and rotational so could be stretched elastically and after reaching the elastic limit 'necking' occured.
The question about polarised light I simply said that polarised light only oscillates in one direction? Not sure how that added up to 3 marks though!
The very last question about the 3D glasses I ran out of time for and just wrote 'the orientation of the polarised filters changes'

I got the same for most of this except the bandwidth which i was really confused about...
for the polymer question i said that after the elastic limit the bonds stretched out so they were in a straight line rather than bunched up and then at the breaking sttress, the stress was great enough to break one of the bonds....
for the glasses question i talked about how when yu have two polarising filters at right angles, no light is allowed through, and how when there is only one some light is let through
Reply 195
Do you know what's the worst you can do in an exam if you have an A in your coursework if you want to get an A overall?
Reply 196
Original post by clomitch

I said the same as you for the polymer question and the magnification. what did you get for the power of the lens?
Original post by KoalaKim
I got the same for most of this except the bandwidth which i was really confused about...
for the polymer question i said that after the elastic limit the bonds stretched out so they were in a straight line rather than bunched up and then at the breaking sttress, the stress was great enough to break one of the bonds....
for the glasses question i talked about how when yu have two polarising filters at right angles, no light is allowed through, and how when there is only one some light is let through

Oh great :smile: Yeah I said about it being bunched up and then stretched on the polymer one too, I forgot to talk about the polarising filters! That's probably why it was 3 marks :/ nevermind let's hope for low grade boundaries!
I said the same as you for the polymer question and the magnification. what did you get for the power of the lens?

I can't remember! I used the 1/v = 1/u + 1/f equation though to find 1/f and then P = 1/f
Reply 199

i think i got 100D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending